I'm surprised I dont see this angle discussed here

Welcome, Mates! Post here for discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
thinwhiteduke

I'm surprised I dont see this angle discussed here

Post by thinwhiteduke » Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 pm

ok you hate sports. Most everything typed here looks like an angry grade school kid who wasn't athletically inclined. I'm not making fun of anyone,just saying that's how a lot of it reads in the forum.
What I am surprised about though is that I don't see discussion about the aspect that some people have come to find out that all pro sports had modified itself to be just entertainment.The outcomes are already decided but the public doesn't know it and its legal to do anyway.

skim through this page and check out this guys site for starters
http://thefixisin.net/theproof.html

I'm never going to hate sports per se. I'm not going to be part of the wine and cheese crowd LOL. My friends like sports, I just realize its entertainment. And I like old black and white sports history and football helmet designs.

but people just don't seem to question why the fantastic ending keeps happening in televised sporting events. They seem to think its a normal occurrence when nothing else in their lives goes that well.

pro sports was invented/organized by gamblers purely to make money off the public and that has never changed. It just looks glitzier.

granted, this took 30 years for me to realize but all games I ever watched you deny your logical mind when you know what you saw was a ref lying to you or a player getting away with something or the defender just not even trying. After a while you are sick of the same thing happening over and over.

Ray
Site Admin

Re: I'm surprised I dont see this angle discussed here

Post by Ray » Sun May 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Wow, that is one great website. I didn't know it. I thought sports, as much as I don't really care for them, were honest and that the outcomes were never predictable and always the result of circumstances and skill.

I thought so because whenever there is any sort of plot to fix a game uncovered, the people responsible are always vigorously prosecuted and often jailed. Look at that guy Pete Rose who had to go to jail just because he admitted that he BET on baseball. All he did was BET on baseball. Can you imagine what would have happened if he had actually fixed it somehow?

But maybe that's the point. A guy like him wouldn't bet unless he had some inside information. Sort of like insider trading.

Yeah, who can deny it's entertainment? But this opens up a whole new window on sports. I added a link to the links page. This is really interesting.

I Hope We Lose!

thinwhiteduke

Post by thinwhiteduke » Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Ray wrote:Wow, that is one great website. I didn't know it. I thought sports, as much as I don't really care for them, were honest and that the outcomes were never predictable and always the result of circumstances and skill.

I thought so because whenever there is any sort of plot to fix a game uncovered, the people responsible are always vigorously prosecuted and often jailed. Look at that guy Pete Rose who had to go to jail just because he admitted that he BET on baseball. All he did was BET on baseball. Can you imagine what would have happened if he had actually fixed it somehow?

But maybe that's the point. A guy like him wouldn't bet unless he had some inside information. Sort of like insider trading.

Yeah, who can deny it's entertainment? But this opens up a whole new window on sports. I added a link to the links page. This is really interesting.
actually ,no one has ever been found guilty of of that

The Sports Bribery Act of 1964 which was passed to protect the "integrity" of sports from mafia and gambling interests. It reads: "Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

The key word in this law being "bribery." If a league instructs one of its employees -- be it an official, coach or athlete -- to influence and/or manipulate an outcome in a certain manner, such action does not break this law.

No one has been arrested for violating the Sports Bribery Act in relation to a professional sporting event -- ever.

thinwhiteduke

Post by thinwhiteduke » Mon May 04, 2015 4:27 am

If this does not make Football fans change their minds, then I don't know what will.

This is a quote from Bill Parcels who happens to be a "good" coach and has won championships in football, here is what he had to say:

"Come onâ??anyone who paid attention to my career must have suspected it," two-time Super Bowl-winner Parcells told stunned members of the press at the Cowboys practice facility Tuesday, reacting to their disbelief with surprise of his own. "When did I ever look like I was enjoying myself? When did you last see me smile on the sidelines or in the locker room? You must have at least wondered why I was always so angry with everyone around me."

"I'll tell you whyâ??I was G-d damn miserable," Parcells added. "FOOTBALL SUCKS!!!"

The coach expounded on his statements by explaining, in acid tones and with an exasperated manner, how he "just sort of fell into coaching" after playing college football at Wichita State, an experience he described as "pretty okay, I guess, at least for young men."

"But coaching? All that pressure, having to deal with all those dumb-ass players, just to play a game that's basically a lot of choreographed shoving?" Parcells said. "Screw that! Screw football! Seriously, I wonder sometimes why I was so good at it."

Parcells explained that he developed his trademark style of possession-oriented, run-first, ball-control football in an effort to not spend too much time thinking about a game that he found "basically pretty freaking dumb."

"No one was more surprised than I was when it worked," Parcells said. "Surprised and damn disappointed, really. Turns out football's really simple. Hell, a freaking ape could coach this game. Guys like Belichick, Cowher, Holmgren, you know why they're successful? Because they're actually too smart to coach football. Come to think of it, I bet they hate it too."

"The worst part of my success was that it meant if I wanted any kind of successful career, I had no choice but to spend my time dealing with really stellar guys like Drew Bledsoe, Lawrence Taylor, Keyshawn Johnson, and Terrell Owens," Parcells said in an effort to explain his often fractious relationship with most of his players. "Solid-gold citizens, football players. If they're not boring as hell, they're arrogant drug-crazed felons."

"You guys thought I was hard on them to make them better players," Parcells added, "but really I was hard on them because, except for Harry Carson and that one blond guy from the Giants, I hated every man who ever played for me very, very much."

Parcells said that, although the sport had led him down a cold, light-less path that seemed to lead down an ever-steeper path toward a premature stress-hastened death, it had taught him a few important lessons.

"First of all, never do anything you hate, even if it's the only thing you're good at, no matter how tempting the fame and the money are," said Parcells, who now regrets "measuring out my life one excruciating wind-sprint drill, one interminable video session, one bone-stick-stone stupid press conference at a time, until nothing is left at the tail end of my worthless life but regret and hatred for myself and others."

"Second of all, it's never too late to quit. Never. And sometimes it's the only right thing to do," Parcells continued. "And third, taking your hatred out on others, no matter how satisfying it may be, no matter how much those stupid wide receivers deserve it, is not really right. And I intend to make this the heart of my Hall of Fame acceptance speech when they put me in Canton in a few years."
now put those quotes in the context of being part of a staged event.

thinwhiteduke

Post by thinwhiteduke » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 am

does he look the least bit concerned about the games outcome ?
[img]
https://img.pandawhale.com/post-56942-M ... f-emYr.gif[/img]