Religion and Sports -very interesting

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Ray
Site Admin

Re: Religion and Sports -very interesting

Post by Ray »

Polite24 wrote:Don't know how this slipped my mind and I never used it in my argument, but many of these football players that commit crimes are born and raised in the ghetto and they are around that type of behavior their whole childhood and it just never gets out of them.
So now you admit that football players are prone to violence. Before you said we were crazy. Why are you making excuses for them?

Polite24 wrote:Seriously, search NFL charity work, or NFL player helps out, or anything like that with the other major sports too, and you will get pages upon pages of athletes and coaches doing great things. I would provide links but my computer is much too slow.
So football players are more benevolent than violent. Right. I'm aware of the media spotlights on player charities. The news announces that some player is going to show up at some charity event and all he does is stand around and pick his nose and sign autographs. Big deal.

I Hope We Lose!
Sergey

Post by Sergey »

Ignorance.
HULK SMASH SPORTS JOCK'S HEAD! OWWWW, HULK HURT HAND!

The Golden Rule: DO feed the troll!

Crappy school but better than sports related schools...

Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Ray wrote:
Polite24 wrote:Don't know how this slipped my mind and I never used it in my argument, but many of these football players that commit crimes are born and raised in the ghetto and they are around that type of behavior their whole childhood and it just never gets out of them.
So now you admit that football players are prone to violence. Before you said we were crazy. Why are you making excuses for them?

Polite24 wrote:Seriously, search NFL charity work, or NFL player helps out, or anything like that with the other major sports too, and you will get pages upon pages of athletes and coaches doing great things. I would provide links but my computer is much too slow.
So football players are more benevolent than violent. Right. I'm aware of the media spotlights on player charities. The news announces that some player is going to show up at some charity event and all he does is stand around and pick his nose and sign autographs. Big deal.
NFL players have been prone to crimes, yes. A lot of these guys who commit crimes came up in the ghetto. Were they having a hard time keeping their aggresive attitude on the football field, or was that the way they were raised and they had a slip up? We'll probably ever know, only that person really does.

The last part about standing around and picking their nose was kind of ignorant. Athletes routinely go into children's hospital and talk to sick or dying kids. No the athlete can't make them better but for that day the child's illness may not be on his mind as much. Even you can't just simply blow that off.
rotten

Post by rotten »

Polite24 wrote: Athletes routinely go into children's hospital and talk to sick or dying kids.
only if there is going to be a camera or a reporter there.
Where the gym teacher was always mad, And as far as we could tell, he only exercised his right to yell - Josh Joplin Group- Dutch Wonderland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, coach.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

You know their motives how?

And it's pretty fucked up that the only thing you're concerned about even after I talked about how it makes a sick kid's day is bad mouthing athletes. Wow.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Polite24 wrote:You know their motives how?

And it's pretty fucked up that the only thing you're concerned about even after I talked about how it makes a sick kid's day is bad mouthing athletes. Wow.
It's called self-promotion. Any famous or someone who wants to be well-known to an extent will do it. Don't talk like its a novelty. XD You know what really makes a sick kid's day? A GOOD DOCTOR!! But hey, jocks they can do miracles as well. Turn water to wine even. :roll:
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Or water to piss if they would wanna serve that instead. Maybe they'll go and turn nerds into drugs, alcohol, and/or someone to rape?
SPORTS ROCK.
Sports Bore

Post by SPORTS ROCK. »

Yeah i know, all these people seem to do is look for any excuse to insult athletes. They seem to treat it like they're completely perfect, free of faults, and that the only people in this world doing bad things are those playing sport. Sure, many people have disgraced athletics, particularly at high school and professional levels, but according to these people there are apparently no benefits at all to team sports. They seem determined to prove that sports are the source of all evil in the world when really, they do a lot of good, and most athletes are kind, tolerant people who will give more money to charity and other good causes than any of them ever will. As Sergey said, "Ignorance".
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome to the forum. Although Iâ??m a moderator (small potatoes), I did not set up this website; and I even disagree with some of the statements that have been made. I express a moderate viewpoint. Sergey has called me â??the man in the middle,â? which suits me fine. Iâ??m even a member of a health club. Although Iâ??m not a sports fan, there are individual athletes whom I admire -- such as Tim Tebow (because he stands for traditional moral values); Mark McGwire (because he set up a foundation to help abused children); and, of course, the late Pat Tillman. (In my humble opinion, the possibility that McGwire may have taken steroids pales in comparison to the benevolent work that he has done.) These are men who brought their moral values to the game. (But they didnâ??t become better human beings because they participated in a sport.) But there are other individual athletes who are less than admirable, and some (if not many) of them are not held accountable for the way they treat others off the playing field. There is a professional football player (whose full name I don't remember) who has sired eleven children out of wedlock by eleven different women. Not exactly someone to admire. I have several friends who played football in high school (including a deacon and an elder of my congregation). One of my friends also played football at a university.

As a 59-year-old man who is a Christian, I am painfully aware of my own shortcomings. I have never felt that I was better than athletes, but I have rightfully resented individual athletes who thought that they were better than nonathletes. I admire athletic prowess and respect athletic achievement, just as I respect achievement in any other extracurricular activity or field; but I have no use for arrogance. Coming from a moderator of this website's forum, this may surprise you; but I believe that there are individual boys who should participate in sports so they will feel better about themselves and hopefully develop some self-discipline. But sports are not for everyone. There are many other boys who â??find themselvesâ? in nonathletic activities, and they are just as entitled to respect as anyone else. (Frankly, we need all the homegrown nerds we can get, despite the fact that conservative radio commentator and football fan Dennis Miller and many others derisively refer to scientists as "pencil-necked geeks.") Toughness takes many different forms, and there have been men of great courage who never participated in sports.

You say that most athletes are kind, tolerant people. Was their kindness always extended to the nonathletic kids in their junior-high and high-school P.E. classes? Matt Davison, a former Cornhuskers football player, said that he always felt empathy for the nonathletic guys in his P.E. classes (and I commend him); but Iâ??m afraid that there are more than a few athletes or former athletes who could not make the same claim. Some of the members here were bullied by athletes in school, often over a period of years. Two of them were bullied despite the fact that they were physically handicapped. Most of the athletes at their schools with whom they actually came into contact were not good kids. I wish this werenâ??t true, but it really happened. All Iâ??m trying to say is that sometimes you have to understand why some people hold to particular views.

You are free to express your views and your criticism of this website. You have freedom of speech here. You might consider how long one of us would last at a sports website, not that most of us would want to post at one. I acknowledge that youâ??re not very abusive, as most of our other critics have been. Polite24 (and SportsGuy92, who may have left us for good) has lived up to his username, and has gained our respect; so, you're in good company.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
greencom

Post by greencom »

SPORTS ROCK. wrote:

Yeah i know, all these people seem to do is look for any excuse to insult athletes. They seem to treat it like they're completely perfect, free of faults, and that the only people in this world doing bad things are those playing sport. Sure, many people have disgraced athletics, particularly at high school and professional levels, but according to these people there are apparently no benefits at all to team sports. They seem determined to prove that sports are the source of all evil in the world when really, they do a lot of good, and most athletes are kind, tolerant people who will give more money to charity and other good causes than any of them ever will. As Sergey said, "Ignorance".
Why don't you two guys go to a ball game together and cuddle up? It sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship. Most athletes are kind and tolerant people? What a load of shit you guys are full of, I've known a few and they were total assholes just like you two.
Greencom
Sergey

Post by Sergey »

greencom wrote:
SPORTS ROCK. wrote:

Why don't you two guys go to a ball game together and cuddle up? It sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship. Most athletes are kind and tolerant people? What a load of shit you guys are full of, I've known a few and they were total assholes just like you two.
Greencom

True Dat!
HULK SMASH SPORTS JOCK'S HEAD! OWWWW, HULK HURT HAND!

The Golden Rule: DO feed the troll!

Crappy school but better than sports related schools...

SPORTS ROCK.
Sports Bore

Post by SPORTS ROCK. »

greencom wrote:
SPORTS ROCK. wrote:

Greencom
hahahahahaha talk about owning me. You just admitted you've only known "a few" athletes. Yeah, perhaps they were assholes but to say all sports playerz are like that is just stupid. You can't just judge an entire group of people based on a few bad specimens. please, your making me laugh so much. :lol: :lol:

sports rule. and i don't just say that as a personal opinion, i mean they dominate the world. practically everybody loves them and all you guys are doing is spoiling it for yourselves more than anyone else. You're on your own, as always. so get off your fat asses, breathe sme fresh air for once and play sports. i Dont see the point in being civil to you people if all you do is trash everything sports players say or do. Your just jealous. I'm not surprised.
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Ahem. The problem is not really PLAYING sports (although not everybody here enjoys that either). The problem is sitting on your fat ass watching a bunch of strangers do it, neglecting everything else, and then acting like the outcome is the most important thing EVER. Actually, if sports weren't constantly being hyped like they were, if they weren't all over the TV, if people could only put them in perspective, I could probably even put up with other people watching it.
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
greencom

Post by greencom »

Hey SPORTS ROCK,
I don't have a fat ass, I exercise every day and work at staying fit, but I still hate sports. I'm 58 years old and laugh at the young men I work with who HAVE fat asses and talk sports while they pig out on their greasy carry out lunches, what a bunch of pathetic fools. Why do you assume that a sports hater hates any physical activity, staying fit is important but team sports is not. What is missing from your life that you get from watching wealthy people you don't know play a stupid game? I know most people do it so I have to assume most people have lives so empty and boring that they need to watch others. Is that the only way there is for you to get enough adrenaline pumping to let you know you're still alive? I admit most people are like you but that doesn't make it a good thing, it just proves that most people are sheep. I'm going to go outside now and enjoy my hobbies and I won't need a team of sheeple. Get a life goofball, oh yeah, a mind would help too.

Greencom
SPORTS ROCK.
Sports Bore

Post by SPORTS ROCK. »

^U telling me to get a life? Hilarios. If you hate sports and spend all your time posting at a forum dedicated to eradicating thme i dont really see how ur life is at all fun. :lol: You ask why i come here, i guess i just find it fun to wind up nerds! :lol: Perhaps not u but ur world of warcraft players! :lol: This sit e really is a joke, the front page cracks me up .how do you think your going to eradicate sports this way? get real. :lol: