Lewis Hamilton booked by police and has sports car impounded

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Lewis

Lewis Hamilton booked by police and has sports car impounded

Post by Lewis »

Lewis Hamilton booked by police and has sports car impounded for spinning wheels in Melbourne street

British Formula 1 ace Lewis Hamilton apologised today for spinning the wheels of his silver Mercedes sports car, describing his behaviour as 'silly'.

The 2008 world champion was booked by Melbourne police under what are commonly known as 'anti-hoon' laws after they saw him turn onto a public road and accelerate so hard that the wheels spun and smoke billowed from the tyres.

In a statement shortly after his car was towed away by police, he said: 'I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police. What I did was silly and I want to apologise for it.'

The 25-year-old is understood to have told police who stopped him in the Albert Park area of Melbourne, where the Formula 1 race is to be held this weekend, that he was worried the incident would tarnish his reputation.

Hamilton was on Lakeside Drive, which is set aside each year as part of the Formula 1 race.

Police have been clamping down on 'hoons' - often young motorists who speed, spin their car wheels and perform rear-wheel swerving 'fishtails' and circular 'doughnuts' - on public roads.

So when at around 9.15pm last night local time, Hamilton was seen leaving a temporary enclosure set up beside Lakeside Drive in preparation for the Formula 1 race and burning his tyres in the process, police who had been parked in a van chased after him with blue light flashing. He pulled over immediately.
Senior Constable Scott Woodford of Melbourne police said Hamilton was 'extremely co-operative,' adding: 'It would have been fair to say he was fairly disappointed with the incident.'

He was interviewed at the spot on Lakeside Drive, part of the four-mile Formula 1 circuit near the junction of Fitzroy Street - a popular restaurant and red light area - for about half an hour and was routinely breath-tested.

With his name and address recorded, he was booked for improper use of a vehicle - and his car was then towed to a police yard in the suburb of Preston, where it will be held for 48 hours under Australia's strict 'anti-hoon' laws.

It is not known whether Hamilton telephoned anyone in the McLaren team to give him a lift back to his hotel or whether he returned by taxi.

The laws have been in force for a number of years in the hope of cutting down on anti-social behaviour that includes burn-outs and speeding.

Hamilton will be charged under summons, which means a date has to be set for a court appearance.

This could result in his case being hastily scheduled because he is a visitor, or an arrangement might be made for him to be represented by a lawyer in his absence.

It could not be confirmed whether the Mercedes was his own vehicle or whether it had been rented or loaned to him.

Drivers convicted of improper use of a motor vehicle face a maximum fine of about £760 and, if they possess an Australian drivers licence, would lose five points from their 12 points.

'Generally if someone is booked for doing what we would described as "a wheelie", that is spinning the tyres and causing smoke, this is seen as losing traction, which in turn means not having complete control of a motor vehicle,' a legal source explained.

Police around Australia have been on high alert for irresponsible driving in recent months following a spate of young motorists being involved in speeding, fatal crashes and chases by police.

In one accident earlier this week the young driver of a stolen car, being chased by police until the officers dropped back, smashed into another vehicle killing himself and the two adults and a baby in the other car.
Website: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0jKIOP1J9
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Lewis Hamilton booked by police and has sports car impou

Post by Fat Man »

Well, he was arrested, and he had to face the consequences of his actions.

Also, he admitted he was wrong and acted foolishly, so he did own up to what he had done.

Unlike football players who had committed rape and have gotten away with it.

Now, if he had been a football player I doubt that he would have even gotten a ticket.

Why does society fall on it's collective ass for football players?
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!