The World Tree

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Earl

Re: The World Tree

Post by Earl »

blackdog4444, I'd like to hear what you know about World Tree.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Nick wrote:My Grandmother just got operated on for Skin Cancer. We can play the grandma game if you want...
My grandma on my Mother's side died several years ago. However, that was nothing significant, as that is what happens in life when people become older. I just try to appreciate my grandparents on my Father's side as much as I can because you can't show that appreciation when they're gone. Ever since I was a kid, I've had questions for my Grandfather about World War II, where he joined as a pilot when he was merely sixteen years old, and flew the Lancaster Bomber, which was a very large plane, one of the largest war planes of it's time. By the way, I want to find out what German cities my Grandfather bombed, and I plan on Emailing him to ask him (he lives far away, so I don't see him often, and even if I could ask him by talking with him, his hearing is extremely poor), however it might sound bad to explicitly say "What cities did you bomb?", so does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a better alternative?

And I would be very interested to have you tell us about the World Tree, blackdog4444.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Nick

Post by Nick »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
Nick wrote:My Grandmother just got operated on for Skin Cancer. We can play the grandma game if you want...
My grandma on my Mother's side died several years ago. However, that was nothing significant, as that is what happens in life when people become older. I just try to appreciate my grandparents on my Father's side as much as I can because you can't show that appreciation when they're gone. Ever since I was a kid, I've had questions for my Grandfather about World War II, where he joined as a pilot when he was merely sixteen years old, and flew the Lancaster Bomber, which was a very large plane, one of the largest war planes of it's time. By the way, I want to find out what German cities my Grandfather bombed, and I plan on Emailing him to ask him (he lives far away, so I don't see him often, and even if I could ask him by talking with him, his hearing is extremely poor), however it might sound bad to explicitly say "What cities did you bomb?", so does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a better alternative?
It's smart to ask war veterans about who they killed. I hear they love talking about that. ;)

Flying Fortresses for the win, by the way.
:'( im only 14! thats why im acting this way! )':
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

The tree was like a home for the gods in Norse mythology. Kinda fuzzy now I haven't been able to read up on the stuff again. Too busy reading the Odyssey in school.
I'll try and find a site, if possible.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tree wasn't a home for the gods.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

blackdog4444 wrote:The tree was like a home for the gods in Norse mythology. Kinda fuzzy now I haven't been able to read up on the stuff again. Too busy reading the Odyssey in school.
I'll try and find a site, if possible.
You guys get to read the Odyssey in school? I wish I could talk about Homer's Iliad and Odyssey with my classmates, but they would never read the same books as me. They might not even know what the Iliad or Odyssey are. Ignorance is on the rise.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Nick

Post by Nick »

Because, like, a different taste in books totally makes someone ignorant, right gais?
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Nick wrote:Because, like, a different taste in books totally makes someone ignorant, right gais?
No, but when almost every single person in an entire group doesn't even know about ancient literature, then ignorance is on the rise. Take some time to read posts more carefully.

Nick

Post by Nick »

You said that they don't read the same books. Who cares if they know about the battle of Troy?
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Nick wrote:You said that they don't read the same books. Who cares if they know about the battle of Troy?
I guess I'm going to have to quote myself...
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote: They might not even know what the Iliad or Odyssey are. Ignorance is on the rise.
Do you understand now? I said that if a large group of people, this one being students, don't know what a couple of the most significant pieces of literature are, then there is a problem. Do I need to repeat myself?

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
Nick wrote:You said that they don't read the same books. Who cares if they know about the battle of Troy?
I guess I'm going to have to quote myself...
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote: They might not even know what the Iliad or Odyssey are. Ignorance is on the rise.
Do you understand now? I said that if a large group of people, this one being students, don't know what a couple of the most significant pieces of literature are, then there is a problem. Do I need to repeat myself?
Forget about trying to reason with Nick The Prick.

We could hold a more intelligent conversation with a houseplant!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I'm not exactly impressed by a person who claims the /sp/artans on 4chan are "nice people". Yeah, real nice, aren't they? As long as you agree with everything they say and don't dare to say anything that may oppose or not correspond with their opinions, I'm sure they make perfectly wonderful chaps! If he's so eager to defend them and their behaviour then I shall not have him down as a sports bore, but a /sp/orts bore!

Oh, by the way, here's our /sp/ammer (that's a better rank suggestion for any future 4chan undercover trolls!) Awesome!'s Encyclopedia Dramatica user page. I think I spoiled his fun a bit (excellent!):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk

And here's an archived 4chan thread where they threaten to show up at my house with... a "GAINT FOAM SPORTS FINEGR"? What is that? Is it anything like a giant foam sports finger? The idiots didn't even find out I live in a FLAT, not a house, which I've revealed numerous times on here - they're too stupid to both read and write apparently:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Somehow I think you don't understand that they're joking... and I don't think there's much difference between a flat and a house. It's still a home.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Nick wrote:Somehow I think you don't understand that they're joking... and I don't think there's much difference between a flat and a house. It's still a home.
I know they're most likely joking, yes. But why should I have to laugh along with a joke that is about me? Why do I have to laugh at a joke about my misfortune? This is relatively light treatment by the 4channers. I hear they've driven people to kill themselves before and that's why I find them despicable. If they'd have found any further information about me I'd be in even more trouble. I suppose it helps that a) I don't live in America, where the website is based and b) I don't have any of these social networking profiles, like Facebook or Bebo.

As for the flat/house comment - I'd have thought they'd have noticed. They can get personal contact information on people without much hassle so how come they were not able to find out I live in a flat and take note of that... even though I've revealed it numerous times? And there's quite a lot of difference between the structure and appearance of a flat and a house. Surely you must know that.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.