Even the players hate sports fans

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Agent 47

Even the players hate sports fans

Post by Agent 47 »

Here's a summary of this story -

(a): A football player was at an airport minding his own business.
(b): A stupid sports fan "from the other team" verbally abused the football player for no reason.
(c): The football player responded by breaking the sports fan's nose.

O.K., so the football player was wrong to respond like that. Yes yes. But let's face it - LOL AT STUPID SPORTS FANS!!!
ABC News wrote: http://abc.gov.au/news/stories/2007/03/20/1877087.htm

Brogan admits to punching Crows supporter

Port Adelaide ruckman Dean Brogan has been fined $750 and had a conviction recorded against him for breaking the nose of an Adelaide Crows supporter.

The 28-year-old pleaded guilty to punching Dale Mortimer in the face at Adelaide Airport last June.

The Districts Court heard Mr Mortimer taunted Brogan by saying "you're playing for the wrong team dickhead".

Brogan responded by knocking Mr Mortimer's cap off and then punching him in the face, breaking his nose.

Brogan's lawyer told the District Court his client deeply regrets his actions but was stressed, having been taunted by football fans on two other occasions that fortnight.

The prosecution claimed it was an overreaction and Brogan would have heard worse insults from the sidelines.

Brogan's lawyer appealed for a conviction not to be recorded but the prosecution argued the offence warranted a serious sanction, and magistrate Andrew Cannon agreed.
The Herald Sun wrote: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 1113193992

Brogan fined for assault

PORT Adelaide ruckman Dean Brogan has been fined for assaulting an Adelaide Crows fan in an incident a magistrate said stemmed from the community's unhealthy obsession with sport.

Brogan, the first man to win an AFL premiership and a National Basketball League championship, pleaded guilty in the Adelaide Magistrates' Court yesterday to a charge of assault.

The Port player was fined $750 for breaking the nose of Crows fan Dale Mortimer with a single punch at the Adelaide airport last June 3.

Brogan is also separately charged with assaulting an Adelaide oral surgeon last October in a case yet to be heard.

The court heard yesterday Mr Mortimer walked past Brogan at the airport and remarked: "You're playing for the wrong team, d---head".

Brogan challenged Mr Mortimer to repeat it before he knocked the Crow fan's cap off and "punched the victim on the nose with a clenched fist", police prosecutor Fred Wotjasik told the court.

Magistrate Andrew Cannon described the actions as a "serious assault" and "great overreaction".
Yeah.

So that's what the players really think of the fans!
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
i_like_1981

Re: Even the players hate sports fans

Post by i_like_1981 »

I'd definitely hesitate to call this guy a "fan". There are those sorts of sports followers that roam around just to cause trouble and not because they have any interest in the game. I can understand why the players get sick of all the criticism they get off of these people who claim to have an admiration for the game they play - if they're so damn bad at it, then why don't the FANS come onto the field and show them how it's done? Then we'll see who the real idiots are. I always did find sports fans to be more irritating than the players. I mean, the players are paid way too much and given far too much respect and prestige for kicking or hitting some ball. But at least they're doing something and I bet it's stressful having to do it in front of thousands of people who are going to give you one almighty yelling if you so much as make a minor foul-up! Yeah, life's so easy when you're sat on some seat drinking beer, eating a pie and yelling at the people who are trying to entertain you when you're doing fuck-all to actually help them. Yeah, I have to admit this, I do have a bit of sympathy for sports players! They get pushed pretty hard by their fans and haters, and then things like this happen. Perhaps this Brogan guy shouldn't have reacted violently but some fans do go out of their ways to ask for trouble, and when they get it they can't handle it!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Ironically enough, sometimes those of us who either have no interest in sports or are outright "sports haters" show more compassion to the athletes than the fans do. Many years ago I was visiting a childhood friend of mine when he was still living with his parents while he and some other friends of his were watching the much-anticipated football game between the Texas Longhorns and the Texas Aggies. For those of you who don't live in Texas, this rivalry is intense. Anyway, during the game the star quarterback for the University of Texas was injured. I could see just from watching him on TV that he was grimacing in a lot of pain. In fact, the injury took him out of the game. Instead of showing any sympathy for him, the Texas A&M fans who were present there in my friend's home hooted with laughter. It was downright disgusting to see them chortling over someone else's painful misfortune. And just because it might help their team. How pathetic. (As it turned out, though, Texas A&M lost, anyway. :lol: ) Several years before, I had heard about a university football player I had grown up with being knocked unconscious during a game. Even though this guy was a bully who had once beaten up a friend of mine, I did not chortle over what had happened to him. I'm not someone who rejoices over people getting hurt. That is clearly wrong. Anyway, to get back to the football fans I was talking about, I noticed that the fans of both teams, even though they were guys in their early twenties, acted rather childishly throughout the whole game. One or more of them actually lost their tempers by the end of the game and stomped out of the house like little boys. I was reminded of sixth graders.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Both of them are idiots. The fan was an idiot for going around yelling at the guy just because he likes the other team, and the athlete was an idiot because while I understand his job is stressful, he chose that job, he has to be able to control his anger and should expect people to yell at him. You don't punch someone in the face for being arrogant. And come on, the fan barely said anything bad. All he said was "you're playing for the wrong team dickhead". If I reacted the way he did to insults, and reacted even worse to worse things and more abusive insults, I would likely be locked up somewhere, possibly even locked up for murder. That's if I had the low tolerance of this athlete. You don't punch someone in the face for a statement that is as minor as that.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama