Uncyclopedia Article on Sports

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Uncyclopedia Article on Sports

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I'm not sure how many of you guys know about Uncyclopedia. I don't visit it often, but if you want to check out some articles, here are some funny ones:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dick_Cheney
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Obvious

Uncyclopedia is unlike Encyclopedia Dramatica. While the purpose is to provide funny, non-factual articles that are completely made up and have no true facts, it is not anywhere near as vulgar as Encyclopedia Dramatica, and they wouldn't do the immoral things that ED would do, such as providing personal information about people.

Anyway, I was searching up random articles, and thought that they could probably do a good job of making fun of sports, so I looked up the sports article. I was right, they did make fun of sports, and their statements were quite true. Here's a quote from the article:
Sports People" can be divided into two categories:
Those who play some type of sport: Athletes or Sportsmen (sportswomen must have testicle transplants)
Those who only watch it: Enthusiasts/Spectators (if restricted to TV, see "Couch Potatoes")

The latter group can be identified by their "conversation" which usually goes like this:
"You don't like sports? What are you, some kind of fag? You're probably even an Artist!"
(swearing is also compulsory to prove how butch you are).

If you belong to category 2, the following phrases must be learnt by heart:
"IF U DONT LIKE SPORTS YOU PROBABLY SPEND YOUR LIFE ON THE COMPUTER PLAYIN MMORPG GAMES AND HAVING VIRTUAL SEX. (unlike me who spends his life watching sport on TV 'cos that's OK, innit?)"
"i love sports!! (i mean watching sport... you don't expect me to leave my TV do you?)"

For Obsessive Sports Spectating the following requirements must be fulfilled:
1. You must be masculine or at least butch.
2. You must tell everyone constantly how you hate fags.
3. You must also constantly make jokes about "soap on a rope" (if you don't understand this, you have never been in the showers with a bunch of Rugby players).
4. You must tell everyone you're not a fag.
5. You must not admit to any gay thoughts
6. Don't even think about "showering with me mates" or what "soap on a rope" means
7. We told you not to think about it!
Here's the link to the article: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sports
Sadly, the article has an average rating of 2 stars out of 5. I assume some sports fanatics came and since they can't accept the truth, or just even accept the article as a funny piece of comedy and satire, they rated it as low as they could. I'm sure the only reason why the average rating isn't one is because a few nerds agreed and saw the truth, and some reasonable athletes accepted it as comedy. So if you enjoyed the article, rate it! But anyway, I found the article to be quite funny and accurate. While I don't think all sports fans are as described in the article, I know for a fact that many of them are, and the article is funny anyway.

Edit: I just remembered that you have to be registered there to rate an article, which is why I couldn't rate it, so don't worry about registering to rate unless you have an extremely strong urge to rate.

Edit 2: As a completely unrelated side note: In my manufacturing class, we need to make miniature aluminum baseball bats. While Fat Man came from the paper football generation, I am from the miniature baseball bat generation! Hooray for me (note the sarcasm)! Oh, how society has changed...
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
i_like_1981

Re: Uncyclopedia Article on Sports

Post by i_like_1981 »

I did use to like Uncyclopedia. It is funny, a real amusing slant on the Wikipedia theme and it doesn't have to get its jokes from the humiliation and singling out of certain individuals like Encyclopedia Dramatica. Unfortunately, the fact remains that the two sites are very similar in the fact they're both Wikipedia satires. And they have come under some criticism, some of which does sound a bit like what goes on at Encyclopedia Dramatica:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncyclopedia#Criticism
But that's quite a funny way of looking at sports. Yep, the fans do get a bit extreme at times. So extreme that one day, they may actually go out and play the games they seem to be so obsessed with instead of having someone else do it for them so they can live vicariously through their actions. But there's only so much we can expect from "Couch Potatoes" (Enthusiast sounds a bit excessive to me, they're hardly interested in the game itself, just the thought of getting out of doing something that uses their brain on a Saturday!)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

i_like_1981 wrote:Unfortunately, the fact remains that the two sites are very similar in the fact they're both Wikipedia satires. And they have come under some criticism, some of which does sound a bit like what goes on at Encyclopedia Dramatica
I was unaware of those criticisms, as I'm not a regular visitor, but some of it does seem pretty bad. Although it does seem that when a problem is brought to attention and it is justifiable that the content of the article contains something bad on Uncyclopedia, they will remove it. It seems to me like the problems there are caused by casual editors, not the staff of the website. But yes, I do agree that it was a funny way of looking at sports. My favourite part was "You don't like sports? What are you, some kind of fag? You're probably even an Artist!" I just found the artist part to be funny as if artists represent femininity.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Uncyclopedia is a good laugh, yes. But some of the stuff on Encyclopedia Dramatica really needs taking down, especially people's personal contact details. The odd insult is to be expected in life and if you can't take that, well, I suppose you're not really able to take anything, are you? But actually allowing a person to be harassed in real life is just low. Not that any of the regulars on /sp/ would go round to the address and cause some serious damage but there are some people who would and you never know when these "people" may come across that information. I'm surprised the people over at ED haven't been shut down yet. They seem to get a lot of people mad, including governments. A mystery, how some people get away with these things...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

SmartSportsPerson
Sportsman

Post by SmartSportsPerson »

Look, do yourself a favour and stop making references to ED and 4chan whenever you can. What good is it doing anyone, honestly? I reckon you really find them funny but you just don't want to admit it. Try dropping it, for once. Live in the past if you want but whatever you do don't dwell on bad things that happen to you. It's hardly a tragedy, being referenced once or twice on some internet page in a bad way. Like you said to me - put up or shut up!
Earl

Post by Earl »

How about having your e-mail address, your residential address, and your phone number publicly displayed on a webpage so you can receive harassing phone calls? I guess you wouldn't mind that.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The 4channers are sure spiteful. I don't see why anyone here would find them funny given their urge to post up people's home addresses. You know, SmartSportsPerson, although you've proven to Earl you're reasonable I think the posts you've done on the forums don't make you a hell of a lot different to Nick. You think the problem lies with us and not 4chan, you keep telling us to get over it and accept responsibility for our own harassment, and you even tell me to "light up a bowl and chill out". Now who does that remind me of?

By the way, here's something for you all - click on the members list and go to page 3. Scroll down to the bottom part of the page. You will see that six users in a row have had their rank changed to SPAMMER. And then we have Nick a few more spaces down the list.

Best regards,
i_like_1981