Sports are Good for You (In More Ways Than One)

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Sports are Good for You (In More Ways Than One)

Post by Fat Man »

Gareth wrote:The funniest thing is, I might actually have gotten into sports had they not been forced down my throat by people all the time. It happened all the time as a kid, from when I was about 8 and right up to now, when I'm 30. It pisses me off, to be honest. Why are there so many people around these days who absolutely can't stand the idea of some people having different interests?
I know what you mean.

There was once a time, a long, long, long, long, long time ago, when I didn't actually hate sports.

No, I wasn't interested in sports, I didn't care for sports, but I didn't hate sports. I was merely not interested in sports.

But after being bullied around in school by the jocks and the PE teachers in gym with PE being mandatory in our schools, well . . . . . . .

It was sports itself that taught me how to hate sports!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

It wasn't really the sports themselves that taught me to hate them. As you might have guessed, it was those who just could not see them for what they really are - games - and had to blow their significance out of proportion and make everyone believe they were the only acceptable pursuit in life. What annoys me the most is how people would aggravate and exclude me just because I did not SUPPORT a football team - what a joke. They treated it like it was some sort of special talent, taking the actions of other men who they did not know personally and claiming it as their own victory. It leads me to believe that sports do something to people's minds, but I can't exactly figure what.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:It leads me to believe that sports do something to people's minds, but I can't exactly figure what.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Here is exactly what sports do to people's minds.

Any questions???
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

That's a great picture, Fat Man. :lol: I haven't seen that one before. Your pictures always tend to be a good laugh. Yes, sports sure do limit the use of a free mind, don't they?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

Hi, fellas. Same old snot? :D
* I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.*
Earl

Post by Earl »

From whom?

By the way, we're glad you came back; and you missed Andy (I think). Hope you're doing well.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

sparkle wrote:Hi, fellas. Same old snot? :D
Don't know what you mean by "snot" in that sentence, but yeah, nothing's really changed round here. It's been a while since you were last on here. I wondered where you got to. You missed two more 4chan spammers getting banned, by the way. Hope you'll return shortly. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Donald

Post by Donald »

Thats a funny picture. It looks a bit like my girlfriend.
SonofSparda17

Post by SonofSparda17 »

The article is obviously in jest, and while there are some benefits to sports, such as experiencing working as a team and exercising, the culture that surrounds them usually ends up nullifying these positive qualities.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

SonofSparda17 wrote:The article is obviously in jest, and while there are some benefits to sports, such as experiencing working as a team and exercising, the culture that surrounds them usually ends up nullifying these positive qualities.
Totally agreed. But NonsensicalSportsman actually used that spoof article as the basis for a serious new topic in defence of sports on this forum. I'd like to be presented with a real starting point for discussion, otherwise there's no point in starting a new topic. Anyways, NonsensicalSportsman turned out to be a 4chan spammer and was banned. Right from his very first post I never particularly liked him. It was clear to see he had used that username to gain favour and credibility from the admins so he could get his account validated and commence his spamming. And the culture surrounding sports that seems to raise them to the status of religion is something that aggravates me too. I frankly don't understand what would inspire people to take them that far. No matter how people choose to look at sports or place them on a pedestal, in real life, it's just some men chasing after a ball or running round a field. The hype it creates in our modern society is something I always failed to understand.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Joe

Post by Joe »

Brigan wrote:You can't be serious... after reading his post

"It's as if the anti-sports forces of the world came and personally signed Fat Man as their future. Fat Man is the chosen one."

Do you really..... you know what nevermind.. -_-
i fear he is serious. can't tell the difference between somebody clearly trolling and somebody honest who is actually trying to point out he's being trolled. when will some people learn...
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, I'll agree with you on that, Joe. It was pretty obvious Drew was taking the piss and Brigan should have been shown more regard. I don't know why I bothered giving Drew a sincere welcome in his New Member thread when I'd already sensed the troll tone in some of his posts but I suppose my aim here is to get all the posts I can. I'm pining for the position of 4th highest post count on this board. I use any opportunity I can to get that old number up. With little else going on in my life outside of work, it means rather a lot to me!

Best regards,
i_like_1981