What Hath Science Wrought?

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

What Hath Science Wrought?

Post by Fat Man »

The first YouTube video compares how science has advanced over the past decades and how religion had accomplished nothing for a thousand years during The Dark Ages, how civilizations had fallen and reverted back to being more primitive.

In the video, the first scene shows Kent Hovind, a Christian Fundamentalist and Creationist.

Kent Hovind says. . .

"A person who spends his time considering what God has done is just not impressed by what man can do."

Then the video goes on to show all the science has accomplished.

Then . . . . .

Kent hovind says . . .

"Oh! Who's gonna care in a thousand years?"

Answer: Everyone.

Kent Hovind says again . . .

"Who's gonna care in a thousand years?"

Answer: Everyone.

Then as the background music continues to play, and the video continues to show more scientific achievements . . . . .

Kent hovind continues his moronic babbling . . . . .

"Just not impressed by what man can do!"

Yeah! Well the law, and the judge was very impressed by what Kent Hovind has done, and now good ol' Kent Hovind is serving 10 years in the slammer for tax fraud!

Way to go, Kent Hovind, YA MORON!!!

And now . . . . .

This really cool YouTube video!

1000 Years of Creationist 'Achievements'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzdv2dsP ... re=related

Thunderf00t | September 21, 2007

Highlighting what science has achieved over the last 1000 years and comparing it to religions achievements.

Music, theme from Bladerunner

And here's another really cool YouTube video!

A MUST see for creationists!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPuKoEYC ... re=channel

Thunderf00t | March 05, 2007

Music: Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd movement.
Vocals Sarah Brightman, Figlio Perduto

Creationist think that opinion matters when it comes to the theory of evolution.

However they don't seem to be bothered by atomic theory, germ theory, the theory of relativity, gravitational theory or any of the other great theories on which modern science is based.

They also seem convinced that scientist defend the status-quo. Naturally if this were the case science would have achieved nothing, where as in fact it has rather an impressive track record.

Yes, science has a very impressive track record, which is more than I can say for religion.

Yeah! If it weren't for the Dark Ages which set humanity back on it's collective ass, we could have been to the moon a thousand years ago and colonized some of the other planets in our solar system about 800 years ago, and we would now be setting out to begin exploring other star systems in the galaxy.

But no . . . . .

I despise these morons like Kent Hovind, Ray Comfort, and Pat Robertson, etc. etc. these moronic imbeciles and imbecilic morons who piss in the well of knowledge.

Of course, I don't hate the Reverend Falwell anymore. That's because . . . . .

HE'S DEAD!!!

The only good moron is a dead moron, and now good ol' Reverend Falwell is taking a dirt nap like a good little moron.

We really suffered one great big setback.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

The Imperialist

Re: What Hath Science Wrought?

Post by The Imperialist »

This is why secular State Shinto and State Buddhism is better.

One thing though, is that the above graph assumes that all scientific achievement occured in Christian dominated lands (i.e. Europe)
Earl

Post by Earl »

I agree. Historically not all scientific achievement has occurred in the West.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Therefore, isn't it safe to assume that may be Christian fundamentalism is not necessarily the restricting factor against scientific achievement?

I always thought that scientific achievement can only happen if information is passed on down the line (destruction of the Roman Empire lead to dark ages, as a lot of works were lost) and there are enough provisions (cash, material etc.) to continue such pursuits. Therefore, science I believe is also correlated to the state of the nation(s) economies.

Ofcourse, science also build speed in times of large scale wars (attrition level, not like the pansy level of the likes of the hundred years war and others, which are just a bunch of short term skirmishes during the winter when nobody has anything to do)