Dwight Howard grants a dying woman's wish

Professional Thuggery! And yet some people actually spend money to watch! Unbelievable!
Safety
Sportsman

Dwight Howard grants a dying woman's wish

Post by Safety »

I know most of you think athletes are just self-loathing and overpaid morons, but Dwight Howard is a bright spot in the NBA. He's mostly known for being the NBA's DPOTY (Defensive Player of the Year) for the last two years, but he's also known for being entertaining and hilarious. I thought this article was really sweet, so I thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxD1WMW8Eso
Kay Kellogg had one wish before cancer claims her life â?? to meet Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard.

He granted it in a big way.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Howard recently spent time with Kellogg, a 62-year-old Magic fan with stage 3 multiple myeloma. The cancer is inoperable and incurable, the newspaper reported â?? but Howard lifted her spirits and she ended up lifting his.

"Dwight Howard is just such a precious, wonderful kid," she told the Sentinel. "Whenever I watch him play, he just makes me feel good inside."

Kellogg's daughter, Arian Clute, contacted the Magic several weeks ago about her mother's wish to have a conversation with Howard, the two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. He was scheduled to visit her home for 30 minutes but stayed several hours, according to the Sentinel.

When he asked why he was the only item on her bucket list, she told him, "Because some people get a choir that sings them into heaven and some people get a chariot that rolls them into heaven. Not me. I want to be slam-dunked smack, dab into the middle of heaven by Dwight Howard."

They talked about life, love, death and divinity â?? laughing and joking much of the time, according to the Sentinel. When he left, the 6-foot-11 Howard bent down and hugged the 4-foot-11 Kellogg. "You are taller than me," he told her.

"That's the silliest thing I've ever heard," she said.

"No," Howard said, "you are taller than me because your spirit lifts you up."
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Safety
Sportsman

Re: Dwight Howard grants a dying woman's wish

Post by Safety »

Nobody ever responds to my topics ):
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Safety wrote:Nobody ever responds to my topics ):
Don't take it personally. You might want to reevaluate the title of this forum: SPORTS. SUCK. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes out there doing good things for society but looking at the title of this forum you can tell it is biased. Besides, look how many people responded to your "Female Athletes" topic. Things aren't all that bad, are they? :wink:

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Hi, Safety. That's an excellent (though sad) post. My heart goes out to that woman. I say it's sad because my mother died of cancer. It was horrible.

I wasn't ignoring your post. I just had overlooked it, since I spend much of my online time in the "Sports Suck" forum.

I don't think all athletes are bad people. Several of my close friends played football in high school. There are individual athletes whom I admire because they have fine values -- which they did not, incidentally, developed just because they participated in a sport. They brought their values to the game.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Safety wrote:Nobody ever responds to my topics ):
Sometimes it takes a few days for people to respond especially if its not sports-related though in this case it is.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Earl wrote:I don't think all athletes are bad people. Several of my close friends played football in high school. There are individual athletes whom I admire because they have fine values -- which they did not, incidentally, developed just because they participated in a sport. They brought their values to the game.
I just fear that some people actually believe that anyone who plays a sport or is considered an athlete in any way, shape, or form is automatically a jerk. I was trying to show that not all of them are bad guys. In fact, most athletes are decent people, its just that athletes who make wrong decisions are always in the news. They're considered role models, so anything they do wrong is pointed out as an embarrassment to role models everywhere. I think people should always look at someone's character before judging them.