More Moronic Than Sports On TV - Basketball On The Radio!!!

Professional Thuggery! And yet some people actually spend money to watch! Unbelievable!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

More Moronic Than Sports On TV - Basketball On The Radio!!!

Post by Fat Man »

I just thought of something just now.

What is more moronic than sports on TV?

How about, listening to a basketball game on the radio!!!

I remember some years ago, when late at night I would be listening to my favorite radio talk show, Art Bell on the radio at KTSM 690 AM here in El Paso Texas.

Well, one evening, the first hour of the show was pre-empted because of a basketball game at UTEP that had been going on for over an hour already.

I swear! Nothing could possible be more moronic!

All you could hear is the sound of the ball bouncing on the gym floor and the sounds of the shoes squeaking on the floor as they were running.

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!

And of course, the crowd cheering and some boooooooing, and the announcer describing what was going on during the game and what the score was.

But the announcer seldom even spoke.

All you could hear was mostly . . .

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!

It would have been more entertaining blowing on a Cracker Jack whistle and beating on a toy drum!

Sports on TV is bad enough! But on the radio???

Like, give me a fucking break!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Re: More Moronic Than Sports On TV - Basketball On The Radio

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, there are a few good things about sports on the radio - you don't have to see the stupid players jack off to their own egos whenever they score a goal and you don't have to watch all the idiotic fans jumping around and screaming thinking that they've somehow achieved something when their team scores even though all they've done is sit on their arses, drink beer and eat Pukka pies. But nonetheless, I always make sure to avoid the main radio stations on weekend afternoons as there will normally be some sort of dumbass sports game going on. I'll either listen to Rock Radio which has quite a high proportion of old classic rock tunes on all the time, or I'll just put on a CD or vinyl record in my flat so that I can be sure no stupid sports programming will interrupt my music. The radio stations are just as keen as the TV channels to cash in on the sports enterprise. My best bet is to just stay away from all the main broadcasters on a weekend afternoon because sports are always in high demand then.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Today, after sitting in a car for a while after selecting my favourite station, after about 10 minutes, I realized that there was no music. Then, I paid attention to the radio and realized it was a sports broadcast. That's how insignificant and non-distinct they are: You don't even realize it is playing until you actually pay attention to it. I believe it was a football game because I recognized the team name the "Ti Cats" (I don't know how it is spelled) because they played a marketing hoax where they told residents in some city called Hamilton that there was a loose tiger roaming the city, urging people to avoid it, and even making a false government organization to make it seem more real. It turns out it was all made up and I remember when they made the connection to the team, that it was a football team. Wasn't that an honest marketing scheme?
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

I only listen to BBC Radio 3+4 and Classic FM so no sports rubbish.
Sports on radio is stupid. Just report the results, and get on with something more useful.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:I only listen to BBC Radio 3+4 and Classic FM so no sports rubbish.
Sports on radio is stupid. Just report the results, and get on with something more useful.
Either that, or they should allocate certain channels for the sole broadcasting of sports commentaries so that us people who just want to listen to music and the news don't have to worry about getting a load of drivel about who's passing to who, who's kicked a ball into a net, how loud people are cheering about something they've played no part in achieving etc. At least on TV, we have Sky Sports channels (well, for those of us who have Sky) so I know where is a definite no-go zone. Yet sports invade the top British channels as well - regularly - like the BBC, and their original material has to be saved until later to cater for the wishes of millions of drones. I can only assume that they're doing it because it's going to secure them a larger audience, though I do believe that certain channels should only be used for the purpose of broadcasting original material which they've paid for and brought about themselves, and the sports should stay to sports channels. How hard can it be? But then again, the world is one huge business now, and I'm the one who doesn't have any money or will to invest. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

The Imperialist wrote:I only listen to BBC Radio 3+4 and Classic FM so no sports rubbish.
I need to find radio station that just pure classical. Rock is great but there a few random weird songs that always pop-up usually a hit or miss for me.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Indurrago wrote:
I need to find radio station that just pure classical. Rock is great but there a few random weird songs that always pop-up usually a hit or miss for me.
A long time ago we had an NPR Classical Music FM radio Station here in El Paso Texas.

But then one day we got a new country music station that played nothing but lowlife trashy redneck boo-hoo cry in your beer music and the new station interfered with my favorite Classical Music station.

So, I couldn't listen to my favorite radio station anymore.

We seriously need to exterminate all the lowlife trashy rednecks and the rabid sports fanatics so I can listen to better music on the radio and have better entertainment on TV.

Now, does that make me sound like a selfish prick?

Well, then, I guess that is what I am!

Exterminate the trash and there will be a much better quality of life for us real human beings.

Better music, better entertainment, and better schools.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I don't mind it if the trashy modern music and the sports games have their own channels to be broadcasted on. I don't want them to be banned just to suit me. Live and let live, as they say. But what I do mind is when high-quality programming like Life on Mars is pre-empted for a football game and not shown for a WHOLE WEEK after the original broadcasting date. Yes, that really was a major rub for me - they could have just shown it after the damn game or the following day but no, they had to hold it off for a whole week! And I'm sure Life on Mars would have got as many viewers as the footbore. People should want to see a brand new episode of riveting old time cop action rather than a damn SPORTS GAME, the like of which they've probably seen about a million times before! TV shows can guarantee us many new situations and outcomes with every new episode! As with sports, there are two possibilities: someone winning or the game being a draw. Yeah, that's the only two outcomes any game of sports can reach! Are people not excited by the prospect of seeing something that could go anywhere? No, they can only handle formulaic entertainment like football now. I don't mind if they want to show football on TV but please, let the channel's own programming come first. The stuff they have funded and brought into existence, not just some game that they're only showing for the prospect of money and a big audience. I know I can't stop referring to the 2007 Life on Mars/football incident but you can see why. A great show, one of the best the Beeb have done in recent years, delayed by seven days so they could show a football game. The long delay was the biggest pain for me.

Oh, and I see I have a new rank. Very... fitting indeed. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Hey there I_Like_1981

Congratulations on your new forum rank! :D :D :D :D

Well anyway . . . . .

It's just too fucking bad that most entertainment is set up to for the amusement of redneck trash who beat their wives and kids, rape their daughters, screw the pooch, and give the parakeet and the gold fish cause for alarm!

The Imperialist

This is when I feel like becoming a godalmighty dictator so I can purge the world of all things I find tasteless.
And send jocks to firing squads (now to come think of it, I prefer what the French did to some of the poeple of Lyon for their counter-revolutionary things: tie the miscreants together in one big line, make them dig a trench, shoot one bunch of people in one go, and see them all tumble down into the trench, then bury the trench/ set all those still alive on fire)

It is a shame though that even the classical stations are starting to blare out trashy modern music that barely is considered classical, but I guess that is being populist, and not tuning into the tastes of true classical lovers. Oh they can all rot in hell.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Imperialist, firing squad or guillotine?
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
The Imperialist

If thinking about efficiency, firing squad. If you want to make an example of somebody, guillotine. I still prefer the "Chain them all up, kill a quarter of them, and either set fire or bury alive the remaining ones in the trench"
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:If thinking about efficiency, firing squad. If you want to make an example of somebody, guillotine. I still prefer the "Chain them all up, kill a quarter of them, and either set fire or bury alive the remaining ones in the trench"
If I was the person being executed, I'd definitely go for the firing squad. Up against a wall, bullets in the back with no audience looking on, and let that be it. Having your head cut off in front of a massive crowd of people... doesn't sound my cup of tea. I'd prefer to die with at least a bit of dignity.

And to think all this discussion stemmed from a post about basketball on the radio... :roll:

Best regards,
i_like_1981

dannj

Post by dannj »

Catching up a bit here Fatman, but about the sports on radio I Need to tell you about this one:

When I was a little kid, a 'few years ago' I used to spend time with my grandfather, he was a really great guy and he listened to sports on the radio, before t.v. I remember quite well during a basketball game when something exciting was supposedly happening the announcer would screech in a highly excited voice quote, "DID YOU SEE THAT" over and over. I'm thinking hell no I didn't see that, the radio doesn't have a screen you freakin' moron, your on the radio...Duh.
Dan
wibberley

Post by wibberley »

yes i agree listening to sports on the radio is as dumb as listening to archie andrewswho was a ventriloquist on the radio many years afgo.incidently bbc radio 3 is completely sports and pop music free