The Real Jet-man

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Indurrago

The Real Jet-man

Post by Indurrago »

Jet-man Human(Actually Jet-powered) Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU&feature=fvst

The performance of a plane but without one. Epic is all I have to say, this man is my hero.

Here's his wiki link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Rossy

This is his home-page.
http://jet-man.com/?page_id=24

Here's some pics of him in action.

"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
The Imperialist

Re: The Real Jet-man

Post by The Imperialist »

How does he land??
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Impressive pictures, Indurrago. I wonder how much one of these Jetman suits would cost? Needless to say, it's probably a bit out of my price range. These air sports like parachuting and hang-gliding - I'll admit, I have far more admiration for them than I do for football or rugby. To watch people glide through the sky, high above the world, in awe of all they can see beneath them - far more interesting and admirable. It does require more than a bit of bravery, though, and if something goes wrong - well, God be with you.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

The Imperialist wrote:How does he land??
The video shows it. He has a parachute on his back that shoots upward and there's surprisingly quite abit of space(probably part of the intended design) between it and the actual wings that lets the parachute quickly release without touching the wings at all. He pretty much lands like anyone using a parachute.
i_like_1981 wrote:Impressive pictures, Indurrago. I wonder how much one of these Jetman suits would cost? Needless to say, it's probably a bit out of my price range. These air sports like parachuting and hang-gliding - I'll admit, I have far more admiration for them than I do for football or rugby. To watch people glide through the sky, high above the world, in awe of all they can see beneath them - far more interesting and admirable. It does require more than a bit of bravery, though, and if something goes wrong - well, God be with you.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Heh its a combination of a bunch of things. But yeah I imagine its easily beyond a normal person's price-range. I can imagine the money he spent JUST on the prototypes. Strange how flying high can make you feel so big but at the same time show us how small we really are.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Wow, this is amazing. I can't imagine what it is like to fly in that. It's things like these that can be depressing to the vast majority, but is just breathtaking for the people who actually do it, just like going to space while experiencing zero gravity and looking straight at the whole planet. These are things that I will never do, and most likely anybody who is reading this will never do unless they make a career out of it and live their whole life for that, which is unfortunate, however people like this guy who do get to do these spectacular things are quite lucky, and I'm sure they never take it for granted.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Holy hell! What a great invention!

Although I'm just thinking, wouldn't it be F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G bloody cold flying around up there like that? It would take balls of steel to do that, but surely they would be snow-balls by the time he landed?!!

But yeah, you've really got to admire people that try out new ideas like that.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

I weigh about 400 pounds now.

I wonder if that jet pack could get me off the ground.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

dickfilthy wrote:Although I'm just thinking, wouldn't it be F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G bloody cold flying around up there like that? It would take balls of steel to do that, but surely they would be snow-balls by the time he landed?!!
He looks pretty well insulated in that suit. And I'm sure it might give him a slightly better chance if the wings were to break off... but that may not be enough! Oh well, all in the interests of health and safety, I suppose - you know how things are today.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
The Imperialist

One thing is for sure, this will not be the next new transport medium for individuals. May be for newly colonised planets, but not on earth. Interesting idea though.

(I wish someone will make exact replicas of the Mitsubishi Zero fighter and have airshows with it... and let anybody pilot it after getting licesne, and make the Zero fighter the NEXT popular transport medium, but oh well)
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

The Imperialist wrote:One thing is for sure, this will not be the next new transport medium for individuals. May be for newly colonised planets, but not on earth. Interesting idea though.

(I wish someone will make exact replicas of the Mitsubishi Zero fighter and have airshows with it... and let anybody pilot it after getting licesne, and make the Zero fighter the NEXT popular transport medium, but oh well)
Hmmmm....I wouldn't underestimate the ingenuity of people, the fact that they even made it is impressive enough. If they could get something similar that didn't need require you to jump thousands of feet in the sky, who knows.

LOL, THE fighter plane? Aren't there like civilian planes that perform better than it now? Seems retroactive to me.
The Imperialist

No, but it is like driving a classic car. But with planes. And it is still the most agile reciprocative engine fighter plane.