I Propose A Name For Newly Discovered Earth-like Planet!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!

Should the new Earth-like planet, three times the size of the Earth be named TERRA NOVA OBESUS?

1.) Yes, I like the name TERRA NOVA OBESUS for the great big FAT NEW EARTH!
14%
2.) NO, because the proposed name would only serve to encourage, promote, or glorify obesity!
14%
3. I would suggest a different name for the newly discovered Earth-like planet.
71%
4. No opinion.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

I Propose A Name For Newly Discovered Earth-like Planet!

Post by Fat Man »

This is related to a recent topic posted by Skul on September 30,2010 which of course was on my 59th birthday.

Earth-like planet found outside our solar system
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=7&t=4723

Astronomers have recently discovered a new Earth-like planet in orbit around a small red dwarf star named Gliese 581 in the constellation of Libra, my birth sign since my birthday is on September 30.

The newly discovered Earth-like planet is about three times the size of the earth!

And here was my own response to his topic . . . . .
Fat Man wrote:OH WOW!

This NEWS is the best birthday present I have ever received!
The planet orbits a nearby red dwarf star, called Gliese 581, in the constellation of Libra.
Since my birthday is on September 30, then I'm a Libra!

And this new planet was discovered orbiting around a red dwarf star in the constellation of Libra.

Also, it's an Earth-like planet only it's about three times the size of Earth.

WOW! A big Fat Earth!!!

Well, I'm about 2 and a half times the weight of a person of average height and weight.

So, it looks like the Fat Man gets a Fat Earth on his birthday!

WOW! Just think!

I get a big Fat Earth-like planet for my birthday!

Of course, I won't be greedy, I will share the Fat Earth with everybody born under the sign of Libra from September 23 to October 23.

Imagine that!

I get a planet for my birthday! :D :D :D

A Fat Earth planet!

I think they should name it Terra Nova Obesus.
So, because this is an Earth-like planet but three times the size of the Earth, I have called it The Fat Earth!

There for, I purpose that this planet be named . . . . .

TERRA NOVA OBESUS!!!

Which of course is Latin for FAT NEW EARTH!!!

And so, I now post this opinion poll for anyone who favors or not favors my proposal.

Who's in favor on naming the new Earth-like planet TERRA NOVA OBESUS?

Who is NOT in favor of my suggested name?

Who would like to propose a different name other than the one I have suggested?

Please do respond.

Thank you.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Re: I Propose A Name For Newly Discovered Earth-like Planet!

Post by i_like_1981 »

I'm not sure what I'd call it. It'll probably be something really dull, though. I like your idea, Fat Man, seeing as how this planet is like a larger version of the earth, but it'll probably just get a code name at first, like the year it was found (this year) followed by some letters. They did this with some other "small planet" that was found a few years back, I think. And I definitely didn't like it when Pluto was officially excluded from the Solar System and dubbed as just a "minor planet". What was the point? Just ended a long-established tradition of 9 planets in the Solar System, and now this mnemonic of remembering the planets is useless: My Very Easy Method Just Set Up Nine Planets. (To represent the first letter of each planet based on its distance from the Sun.)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:I'm not sure what I'd call it. It'll probably be something really dull, though. I like your idea, Fat Man, seeing as how this planet is like a larger version of the earth, but it'll probably just get a code name at first, like the year it was found (this year) followed by some letters. They did this with some other "small planet" that was found a few years back, I think. And I definitely didn't like it when Pluto was officially excluded from the Solar System and dubbed as just a "minor planet". What was the point? Just ended a long-established tradition of 9 planets in the Solar System, and now this mnemonic of remembering the planets is useless: My Very Easy Method Just Set Up Nine Planets. (To represent the first letter of each planet based on its distance from the Sun.)[/color]
My favorite mnemonic for remembering the planets is . . . . .

Many Volcanoes Erupt Mulberry Jam Sandwiches Under Normal Pressure!

Whoops! There I go, thinking of food again!

But then, I am after all a Fat Man!

OK, as for Pluto being demoted . . . . .

There have been some more small planets like Pluto discovered out there beyond the orbit of Neptune, and one of them is a little larger than Pluto, and it also has it's own moons just like Pluto has a moon of it's own.

The official designation for these distant little worlds is now Dwarf Planets.

So, we now have three different classes of planets in our solar system instead of just two.

Terrestrial Planets:
Small rocky planets like Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.

Jovian Planets:
Huge gas giant planets, like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.

Dwarf Planets:
Small rocky planets covered with ice, smaller than Terrestrial planets, but still larger than asteroids. These are any planet that is beyond Neptune like Pluto and the more recently discovered little worlds out there.

By this designation, Pluto would still called a planet, but a Dwarf Planet.

So, I guess the Dwarf Planet is OK by me. It's merely a third classification.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

COME ON PEOPLE!

PLEASE CAST YOUR VOTES!

You don't have to post anything if you don't feel like it.

The ballets are secret, so nobody will know who voted for what.

Just vote! OK?

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

I haven't voted yet but I forget what does Nova mean? Also sweet a poll at last!!!!! :mrgreen:
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Indurrago wrote:I haven't voted yet but I forget what does Nova mean? Also sweet a poll at last!!!!! :mrgreen:
Nova is Latin for New.

Terra is Latin for Earth.

So, Terra Nova means New Earth.

And because this newly discovered Earth-like planet is three times the size of our own Earth, than it's a much bigger and fatter version of our planet Earth.

Hence, the name I proposed for it . . . . .

TERRA NOVA OBESUS!!!

The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Just to stick to my own principles, I will call it...

1) Shin-Nippon (New Japan)
2) Shinchi Special Administrative District (Shinchi would mean "New Earth/Ground")
3) Fusou (Archaic name for Japan)
4) Shin-Tenchi (New Heavenly Earth/Ground)
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

I think we should continue with the tradition of naming planets after Greek or Roman Gods. Though I do think Terra Nova Obesus is a nice name.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Let's name the new planet Guyland or terror firmer.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Earl

Post by Earl »

No, I've changed my mind. Let's name the new planet after someone who's important. You know, like Elvis or ...

Samdaman ... :roll: :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

AAAHW HEEEEEELL NOO!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Why should we name it after somebody who can't even give the slightest bit of consideration to things that are just outside his normal interests, let alone his planet? Oh well, I suppose it would help soothe his massive ego to name a planet after him. After all, doesn't he deserve it? Has he not earned this privilege? He plays football after all! Oh yes, the pursuit of kings and the superior creed. How bad I should feel for not sharing the same interest!

Anyways, when they do put a name to this new planet, I shall be most interested to hear about it.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

i_like_1981 wrote:Why should we name it after somebody who can't even give the slightest bit of consideration to things that are just outside his normal interests, let alone his planet? Oh well, I suppose it would help soothe his massive ego to name a planet after him. After all, doesn't he deserve it? Has he not earned this privilege? He plays football after all! Oh yes, the pursuit of kings and the superior creed. How bad I should feel for not sharing the same interest!

Anyways, when they do put a name to this new planet, I shall be most interested to hear about it.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Maybe we could send all the Jocks to this planet, so we could have a world free from football.
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Life on this planet wouldn't last very long due to your inability to obtain women. Just kidding. It depresses me that we probably won't be able to explore more of this planet until after we pass away. I'm still waiting to find out if there's bacteria on Europa or not :?
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Earl

Post by Earl »

The Imperialist wrote:AAAHW HEEEEEELL NOO!
Oops! I done made someone mad. I shall have to behave myself in the future. :mrgreen: :wink:
i_like_1981 wrote:Why should we name it after somebody who can't even give the slightest bit of consideration to things that are just outside his normal interests, let alone his planet? Oh well, I suppose it would help soothe his massive ego to name a planet after him. After all, doesn't he deserve it? Has he not earned this privilege? He plays football after all! Oh yes, the pursuit of kings and the superior creed. How bad I should feel for not sharing the same interest!
Of course, he deserves it, i_like_1981. We should all feel bad for not sharing the same interest. As a matter of fact, I'm going to repent right now and watch every single rootin' tootin' football game that I possibly can. Of course, this means that I'll have to buy another TV in case two different football games are televised on two different channels at the same time. Gonna have to watch BOTH of them! I'm also going to purchase a cable TV package that includes more sports channels. I tell you, I want more. I'VE GOT TO HAVE MORE! I WANT MORE AND MORE SPORTS! I WON'T BE SATIFIED UNTIL I GET WHAT I WANT! AND I'M GOING TO FORCE ALL OF YOU TO WATCH THE GAMES WITH ME! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:
Lewis wrote:Maybe we could send all the Jocks to this planet, so we could have a world free from football.
Of course, you realize -- don't you, Lewis -- that when the earth finally has one-world government, you will be appointed ambassador to planet Samdaman and that you will be required to live there?
Safety wrote:Life on this planet wouldn't last very long due to your inability to obtain women.
That's not a problem. All the cheerleaders and groupies will be deported to planet Samdaman.
Safety wrote:It depresses me that we probably won't be able to explore more of this planet until after we pass away.
Seriously, considering the fact that this new planet is thrice the size of Earth, I would think that the correspondingly stronger gravitational pull would present a problem to astronauts.
Safety wrote:I'm still waiting to find out if there's bacteria on Europa or not :?
I didn't even know there was another new planet named Europa. Why don't people tell me these things? :x