Why do you support (or oppose) this website?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

Why do you support (or oppose) this website?

Post by Earl »

At the risk of being redundant in more ways than one, I thought I would pose the question that is the title of this thread to bring about some discussion that might be profitable or enlightening (and, hopefully, not a waste of time -- which it could very well end up being). Iâ??d like to solicit responses from the other members. Unfortunately (in my opinion, but perhaps not so in the view of most of the other currently active members), there are no critical members of this highly esteemed website (i.e., sports fans) who are currently active. Now, of course, that could change in the near future, yes? Perhaps this approach Iâ??ve chosen would result in more dialogue and less ranting.

I discovered this website in late December of 2008 and actually began posting in the following spring. Reading through all the letters posted in the â??Lettersâ? columns (as well as some of the posts in the forum), I was appalled by all the hatred from those sports fans who had actually bothered to leave messages. What finally provided the spark for me to start posting at this website was provided by a hateful message provided by a certain â??Haroldâ? in the â??Letters 2009â? column.

(This Harold, incidentally, turned out to be a complete fraud, as he revealed his true identity at Andy Austinâ??s website thegridirionpalace.com. He had portrayed himself as an American high-school football player, which was a complete lie. Heâ??s not even American. And after seeing a picture of him, I can also say with certainty that I look more macho than he does. I probably also have a more manly chest than he does, and to think that I'm 60 years old!) But I digress â?¦

I felt impelled to defend this website from all the haters who apparently believe that the sports culture is totally above critical review and that those who disagree with even certain aspects of the sports culture should be silenced -- because, after all, sports are sacred (especially the popular ones). :wink: At first, it seemed to me that the intolerance was all on one side; namely, that of the sports fans. However, as Iâ??ve observed since, there is intolerance on both sides. Granted, one side (that of the sports fans) has all the power while the other side (namely, us) has none. But on a personal level we as individuals have the capacity to hurt other individuals on the other side by being rude and insulting and by not respecting the other person as an individual.

To answer my own question, let me say that Iâ??ve appreciated learning about other men who have no interest in sports, but are physically active -- including physical fitness enthusiasts, bodybuilders, and even former athletes. (To see what I mean, check out the Letters especially.) Indeed, nonathletic men who have no interest in sports are just as diverse as any other group of people.

Finally, in this OP of mine, let me say that Iâ??ve appreciated this forum for providing me the opportunity to be able to make a critique of the â??sports onlyâ? mandatory P.E. that still is a reality in way too many school districts. (Of course, as far as I'm concerned, one school district with the "old" P.E. is one district too many.) I remember reading a recent post of his in which Silence made the observation that nonathletic boys are humiliated in â??sports onlyâ? mandatory P.E. Not only is that true, but they hardly get any exercise. The very idea that these classes have been called â??physical educationâ? classes has been a big joke. Indeed, a monumental exercise in hypocrisy. How can genuine â??physical educationâ? take place without the realization that different students have different physical fitness needs? Letâ??s compare a slightly built teenage boy who wants to build up his physique with another boy who is overweight and wants to slim down. In terms of the sort of exercises that they need to do, are their physical fitness needs the same? Of course not! Our two hypothetical boys would be on two different exercise programs. Hence, the need for choice in such a class. So many people say that without sports, everyone would become fat. Baloney! A sport is a physical contest; it is not an exercise program. It may encourage some people to keep active as participants, but it's still not an exercise program. Those who want to play sports should be encouraged to do so, just so long as their form of recreation isn't imposed upon the unwilling (such as nonathletic students in the schools). (Of course, they should also not ignore the risks involved in certain sports; but that's for another thread.)

I digressed again and started ranting. No, I take that back. It wasnâ??t ranting at all; it was reasoned discourse. :mrgreen: Anyway, please feel free to respond with your own comments; or this thread will die a painful death of neglect. :cry: I know you wouldn't want that to happen, would you? :wink:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Why do you support (or oppose) this website?

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening Earl:

I shall be the very first to respond, and I for one, intend to keep this topic alive.

OK, you said . . .
So many people say that without sports, everyone would become fat. Baloney! A sport is a physical contest; it is not an exercise program. It may encourage some people to keep active as participants, but it's still not an exercise program.
Well, since I'm not as polite as you are, instead of saying "Baloney!" I would have said "BULLSHIT!" But then, that's just me.

Yeah, again, as before a couple of times, I shall show some perfect examples of how sports is great for "physical fitness", especially football.

Uh huh! Perfect examples of physical fittness of how competive sports prevents people from getting fat!

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Of course, I'm a fine one to talk since I'm not exactly a Skinny Minnie myself.

Well, I came to this website back in February 12, 2009 on the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin when I discovered a web site forum for those of use who hate sports.

Yes, I do have a lot of anger issues, but I enjoy ranting and raving, and cussing like a pirate when it comes to speaking out against sports, especially the spots culture, and the drooling moronic monkey-boys who get paid millions of dollars just for chasing balls.

I love this forum.

I have made it my home on the Internet way out there in Cyber Space!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Hi Earl,

I came because I had grown bored watching sports on TV, and I wanted to find a new pass-time, one which engaged me rather than rendering me a passive spectator. I actually did not come here to rant about how much I hated sports, although I can understand others' need to do so. I support this website as a haven where one can expect not to have sports jammed down his or her throat.
Earl wrote:Unfortunately (in my opinion, but perhaps not so in the view of most of the other currently active members), there are no critical members of this highly esteemed website (i.e., sports fans) who are currently active. Now, of course, that could change in the near future, yes? Perhaps this approach Iâ??ve chosen would result in more dialogue and less ranting.
Well, I see that side of it, but you can also see the other side--the side of people whose lives have be ruined by sports and who are looking for shelter, where they can finally get some relief. They do not all have happy lives.

In my view, the rules could depend on the forum:

(1) In the SportsSuck Forum I guess the dialogue is supposed to be about whether sports, well, "suck" or not. So threads like the one celebrating the off-field activities of Drew Brees, and comments about how great Pat Tillman was, actually make sense. If those of us who hate sports can attack sports, those that love sports can defend sports. What would not make sense, in my view, would be conversations about on-the-field action and heroics. There are threads for that at E S P N and CBS, and it would be absurd to have one at a place called "sportssuck.org". :lol:

(2) In every other forum, I believe the "sports suck" ethos should not be questioned. There are people here who were beaten up, and they do not want to hear how great sports are.

(3) As the SportSuck Forum moves towards dialogue, perhaps there could be another forum, simply called "Toxic", where sports-haters could go to rant. (Although only in reference to sports and not in reference to Republicans, Muslims, and so on.) On the other hand, "Toxic" could harm our image, so I don't know...

So that's just an idea. I threw it out there as a compromise, but I really hope no one will be afraid to question the sanity of it. I am not a leader, but rather an "ideas guy". I leave it to others to mull over my ideas, which can get quite crazy at times, especially late at night. I'd also really like to hear what any of the women here thinks about your question and my idea. Or if they don't want to weigh in, perhaps a married member could ask his wife? Women can be good at seeing the sense in crazy ideas, but also the flaws in them.

--RF
Last edited by recovering_fan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I joined this forum because I am sick of the excessive hype and prestige that is centred around professional sports and the people who play them, and I also despise sports on a high-school level where kids who are doing well academically and are doing nothing to upset or harm anyone are being given hell by their fellow students due to a lack of physical ability, and the fact that some teachers are going to turn a blind eye to bullying in a hope of preserving the quality of the school sports team. Sports have been placed on too high a pedestal in our modern world and people are becoming victims to its overwhelming popularity because they choose not to become fans. My personal experiences have of course motivated me to maintain a cynical outlook on the sports culture, but I am aware of the fact that people are going through worse in school sports classes and that jocks are, indeed, driving students to kill themselves or other people through their cruel and violent behaviour. Basically, I just think that too few people out in the wide world are acknowledging the negative side of the sports culture and the injustices people are suffering in its name, and this is why I have become a regular contributor to this website. Sports have just become too big in the world today.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Honestly, I may have forgotten the exact reason when or how I came across this site. I only remember joining as I was fed up with the way sports was being treated by a majority of people. Sport is driven in my throat every time I go to school, I have gotten sick of it and thus, I joined. I never imagined that sports would be supported by so many, and even made into something super big. Even in the face of an economic crisis, the football program in my school is still going strong, while other classes, especially foreign languages, are suffering to supply shortage. The football program even has a freshman team! Oh my, lord help me. Is football really that popular in my area that each school in the district must have 3 teams?! Seriously, that is what frustrated me from my 2 months of high school. There's too much emphasis on sports, and not enough on what really matters, academics.

Also, reading the stories of other people that have gone through "sports-mandatory" PE, which I went through in middle school, has inspired me. As I could closely relate to those people. I don't get the point of this, it doesn't help me try to get fit because it shoves sports down my throat, things I have no interest in. I wish more people would realize that there are more ways of getting in shape rather than sports. Take for example, hiking, working out at a health club, or even as simple as taking a walk or jog outside! As Earl said, sport is nothing more than a physical contest.

I could say that I support the site 100%.
Every ending is a new beginning.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

I support this website for many reasons:

1. There are some nice posters on this forum.
2. I hate the monopoly sports has on the media.
3. It is a haven from major sporting events.
4. I enjoy posting on this forum.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

I came here when the forum was in its infancy after following a link from someone else who no longer posts here. The guy's name is blast_flame. I've no idea where he is or what he's doing, but I'd like to thank him for leading me here.

I joined simply because I hate that sports and athletes have an almost god-like status in the world and the fact that not liking sports is looked down upon.

Since I became the Forum Admin, I've had another reason to support the site -- I need to be here.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Earl

Post by Earl »

And you've done a great job, Skul. You're clearly a most valuable asset to this forum. We couldn't do without you.

I hope to comment on everyone's posts in this topic eventually. Unfortunately, my time is limited at the moment.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related