The "I will be away for a while" thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: The "I will be away for a while" thread

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:I'm not planning on going away anywhere, but I thought I'd post in this thread to tell you why you've not been seeing as much of me recently and why I might not be on here as much over the coming days.

I have been receiving some rather uncomfortable feelings in my chest and stomach area of late. Sometimes these feelings will go away, but nausea and headache will fill in for the odd sensations while they're not happening. Naturally I am rather concerned about this so I'm making steps to improve my lifestyle - I've drastically lowered my caffeine consumption, lowered my fat consumption and opted for more fruit and veg and fruit juices over coffee and fast food. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I have been to see a doctor about it but they have suggested that it could be a problem with my bowel and gut area and it probably is not heart-related. Which I can understand - after all, heart problems generally tend to involve a crushing sensation in the chest and pain and fatigue upon exertion, neither of which I currently have. However, in the evenings I often spend quite a bit of time resting now, or even going out for a quick walk around the local area to help clear the head and get some fresh air, so that's why I'm not posting quite as much on here as I used to. I hope this will clear itself up soon, but if it doesn't, you probably won't be hearing as much from me now. I fear a sedentary lifestyle has had a part to play in all of this.

Nonetheless, I'll try and post on here every now and again. I've not forgotten you. Remain bless.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Hello there I_like_1981

Sorry to hear that you're not well.

Yes, cutting back on the caffeine and eating more fresh fruits and vegetables is a good idea.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm been having some problems with my computer and haven't had time to post anything for the past couple of days, and had no idea what was going on until I checked my E-mail and found out I had a private message from Earl. Thanks Earl.

I hope you get well soon.

Please take care.

Fat Man
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Silence wrote:I hated the pep rally, I wish they never put it in the school in the first place. Even worse, they even honored the sports teams! It's like a nightmare coming to reality.
Oh man, don't get me started on pep rallies. I hate them so much. It's just a bunch of sports propaganda. Usually, they talk about how you can join so many groups in the school, but they never bring up one nonathletic group and only talk about sports. I hate it so much. And they usually have them in my school during history class. That's my favourite class, and I have to miss it just because the school wants to make the egos of all the athletes even bigger (who knew this was possible?) and pretty much telling the nonathletic students that we are all pathetic losers. Yes, during one assembly, one of the coaches did refer to people who didn't participate in sports as losers.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

i_like_1981 wrote:I'm not planning on going away anywhere, but I thought I'd post in this thread to tell you why you've not been seeing as much of me recently and why I might not be on here as much over the coming days.

I have been receiving some rather uncomfortable feelings in my chest and stomach area of late. Sometimes these feelings will go away, but nausea and headache will fill in for the odd sensations while they're not happening. Naturally I am rather concerned about this so I'm making steps to improve my lifestyle - I've drastically lowered my caffeine consumption, lowered my fat consumption and opted for more fruit and veg and fruit juices over coffee and fast food. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I have been to see a doctor about it but they have suggested that it could be a problem with my bowel and gut area and it probably is not heart-related. Which I can understand - after all, heart problems generally tend to involve a crushing sensation in the chest and pain and fatigue upon exertion, neither of which I currently have. However, in the evenings I often spend quite a bit of time resting now, or even going out for a quick walk around the local area to help clear the head and get some fresh air, so that's why I'm not posting quite as much on here as I used to. I hope this will clear itself up soon, but if it doesn't, you probably won't be hearing as much from me now. I fear a sedentary lifestyle has had a part to play in all of this.

Nonetheless, I'll try and post on here every now and again. I've not forgotten you. Remain bless.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
I hope you get well soon 1981.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. Much appreciated - this has all been quite a concern for me, but hopefully things will return to normal before much longer. I'll let you know when I consider myself to be fully recovered. As for today, I went out for another walk around the town, which lasted over an hour. And I actually prepared myself a salad for tea tonight - makes a massive amount of difference from all the burgers and sugary drinks I had! Anyways, I hope that you're all well and I ensure you that even though I may believe more in the importance of physical fitness after all this, it does not mean I like sports any more than I did!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:
Silence wrote:I hated the pep rally, I wish they never put it in the school in the first place. Even worse, they even honored the sports teams! It's like a nightmare coming to reality.
Oh man, don't get me started on pep rallies. I hate them so much. It's just a bunch of sports propaganda. Usually, they talk about how you can join so many groups in the school, but they never bring up one nonathletic group and only talk about sports. I hate it so much. And they usually have them in my school during history class. That's my favourite class, and I have to miss it just because the school wants to make the egos of all the athletes even bigger (who knew this was possible?) and pretty much telling the nonathletic students that we are all pathetic losers. [my italics] Yes, during one assembly, one of the coaches did refer to people who didn't participate in sports as losers.
And some people wonder why we aren't sports fans. :roll: Give me a break!
i_like_1981 wrote:Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. Much appreciated - this has all been quite a concern for me, but hopefully things will return to normal before much longer. I'll let you know when I consider myself to be fully recovered. As for today, I went out for another walk around the town, which lasted over an hour. And I actually prepared myself a salad for tea tonight - makes a massive amount of difference from all the burgers and sugary drinks I had! Anyways, I hope that you're all well and I ensure you that even though I may believe more in the importance of physical fitness after all this, it does not mean I like sports any more than I did!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Hi, i_like_1981. You might be interested to know that brisk, hour-long walks are the exercise that doctors recommend the most for people who have diabetes, which is what I do on "off" days. In regards to what you say in your last sentence, I don't need to point this out to you; but what I'm about to say needs to be understoood by a lot more people: Promoting sports is NOT the same as promoting physical fitness! :shock: There are even situations where emphasizing sports GETS IN THE WAY of promoting physical fitness, even to the point of discouraging guys from exercising. :idea:

Dear Reader, in your heart you know that Earl is right! :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I will be away until Monday or Tuesday, because I'm going to NYC to do fun, care-free stuff like attending an Economics conference.

Cheers,
RF
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, have a good time. An economics conference... we are pretty clever, aren't we now? Tell us about your trip when you're back. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

i_like_1981 wrote:Well, have a good time. An economics conference... we are pretty clever, aren't we now?
Actually, no, you don't need to be all that clever to attend an Economics conferences or any other kind of conference. Attendance has more to do with whom you know than what you know. The theories aren't any more sophisticated in many cases than what one would hear on the BBC or NPR.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Interesting conference... Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the point in repeating the same theories over and over again if it is not broadcasted in a big network. Then again, I know virtually nothing about economics.

Anyway, to comment on my sudden absence. No, I haven't dismissed this website. I've simply been busy during my short thanksgiving break, taking care of business with school (studying for first semester finals), plus my sudden inspiration to write a story based off a recently canceled cartoon show I'm strangely fascinated with, I find its concepts entertaining. I'm not exactly copying the show, I'm writing a separate story within its own universe. On other things, I've also had to deal with the constant popularity of sports, as always, football is dominating TV again. Plus I've had to deal with a very popular video game that had to be released at such a very convenient time (early November I think). So yes, I will be away for a long while, until things calm down.

(On the video game comment, I would like to add that I by no means actually play the game. It's the constant talk and mention of it around high school, I find it strangely disturbing that people my age are even talking about it! But, it's their choice to buy the game... Not mine.)
Every ending is a new beginning.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I was wondering where you'd got to, Silence. But at least you've been using your time well and putting it to constructive purposes. I'd quite like to write a story myself, but I just can't seem to summon the inspiration to come up with a plot or premise. And to use characters from a TV show is okay, provided you're not planning on getting the story published without the creators' permission. Let me guess... was that video game you talked about Call of Duty: Black Ops? I've even had people in my office talking about that one. Yes, I kid you not. And some of them are older than me. Well... let them enjoy it. And they can give me the right to enjoy my old music!

Well, I'll hope to see you a bit more round here when all is a bit less hectic at your place. But it's getting near Christmas now. Everyone wants to be with family and friends and off the computer. I suppose that puts me on my own again! Oh well. Best of luck with whatever you're doing.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Silence wrote:Interesting conference...Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the point in repeating the same theories over and over again if it is not broadcasted in a big network. Then again, I know virtually nothing about economics.
Well, you have a theory--let's say about how poor countries can develop. You debate how applicable that theory is to the case of particular poor country--let's say Zimbabwe. And there are many competing theories out there about what the best thing to do is, so you have to discuss which developmental plan is best for Zimbabwe to follow. The reason you have conferences again and again is because Zimbabwe's situation keeps changing.

--RF
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

I AM BACK. For a while. Yes.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome back. Sorry I haven't communicated with you.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:I AM BACK. For a while. Yes.
'Tis the return we have all been waiting for!

You say you're going to be back "for a while". How long are you going to be gone after that? My most likely explanation is that you were probably at university and have now returned home for the Christmas holidays, though I could be wrong. Who knows.

Anyways, good to see you round the forum again. Take care.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Silence

Post by Silence »

I may be taking on another leave again. Except this time, it will extend for a longer period of time. I've just recently found out that I will be in Honors English in my second semester of school.

I can't screw this up, this may be my ONLY chance to learn what I've missed as of now, and if I do fail, I'll be booted out of the class. I seriously cannot afford to have that happening. So I may not be here for the entire period of second semester.

(To The Imperialist, glad to have you back here.)
Every ending is a new beginning.