Nerds? I don't THINK SO!

Ice skates, maple syrup, and a dozen or so toothless morons.
recovering_fan

Re: Nerds? I don't THINK SO!

Post by recovering_fan »

i_like_1981 wrote:Many schoolkids today are just morons who would make a keen interest in areas which require intelligence and understanding to appreciate seem like a bad thing, whereas throwing around balls, acting like idiots at parties and constantly trying to affirm a "badass" status is something admirable.
Too many boys, especially, strive to conform to this most wretched of ideals. Chavs reap only what they sow. The pity of it is that all that "badass" nonsense is forced on people like yourself, holding back those boys who do deserve to succeed in life.
Silence

Post by Silence »

My input of the word "nerd", well... It's not necessarily an insult to my daily roundings of well... Insults. For the reason being that it isn't used against me very often. Of course, I consider myself a nerd using the second defintion of it. There are other derogatory words that have a more severe effect on a person's self-esteem. I get called "nerd" very rarely, unless it was a playful name-calling by a few of my peers in honors classes, mostly because of my obsession with reading novels usually introduced in early college or AP English levels, if not, possibly even beyond. And other stuff that I want to list, but may go off-topic.
recovering_fan wrote: Too many boys, especially, strive to conform to this most wretched of ideals. Chavs reap only what they sow. The pity of it is that all that "badass" nonsense is forced on people like yourself, holding back those boys who do deserve to succeed in life.
Once again, this is far too real. I see this far too often in my school. Boys, far too many boys actually, strive to be all tough, macho, etc... Heck, they even mock you for not abiding to those values because they'll think you're not normal, and that you're just a pussy. Seriously, what ever happened to freely expressing yourself!? It's just pure, utter, and freaking rubbish!!!

(A note: I apologize for the sudden outburst... Since I am calmer as I'm writing this. I would also like to express my own opinion of my the word "nerd". To me, it should be either wiped out from the english dictionary or should have a definition that expresses something like "person with high or superior intelligence" or anything similar. I fear that if it does continue being used in its current context, it would get to a point that the word will lose its positive connotation.)
Every ending is a new beginning.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Silence wrote:Once again, this is far too real. I see this far too often in my school. Boys, far too many boys actually, strive to be all tough, macho, etc... Heck, they even mock you for not abiding to those values because they'll think you're not normal, and that you're just a pussy. Seriously, what ever happened to freely expressing yourself!?
Warning: do not repeat any of this to your friends at school ! Telling your enemies about what I am now going to say would be even worse !
(Don't bring it up in Social Studies class, either.) :|

So what you seem to be saying, Silence, is that when a boy begins to display qualities like a love of reading, a propensity for hard work and a willingness to cooperate with others (behaviours which are usually associated with girls), the other boys punish him for it emotionally. Can anyone else see how this may be leading to young men's failure to keep up in college admissions and in the modern workplace? The thing is, when one guy calls another a "pussy", he is accusing his victim of exhibiting overly girlish qualities. When he calls him a "pussy" what he is really saying is: "hey, don't be like those chicks over there who are going to get into college; be a wild, aggressive animal like me." I contend that it is the stupid macho hierarchies you see in high school which are primarily responsible for grown men's failure to keep up. And sporting teams are these hierarchies' worst manifestation. :(

Hang in there, :)
RF
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

You're damn right, RF. Seriously, if these smug bigheads want to devote every aspect of their lives to acting "macho" and "tough" then that's their choice and you can't hate them for that alone, but the fact they insist on running down those who don't want to end up complete academic duds and calling all the intelligent hobbies "pussy things" makes them utter MORONS! And sadly, these people often have the most influence and popularity in a high school setting, so that makes it all the easier for them to bring people down. I just wish these egoists would stop buggering their smarter ilk and keep their idiotic games to themselves. It's all right if they want to do something, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to do the same thing or risk being insulted!

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

I think I find the dumb conformists who try to stay out of things the greates of all cowards. They think that by keeping out of it, they can be the 'cool' people (not even a CRUMB of what they expect is given to them)

They refuse to come together for the greater struggle against the bloody jocks in which the ones being bullied have to endure feeling they are alone.

I sometimes do not understand humans.