DU topic vindicates stance on mandatory "sports-based" P.E.

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

DU topic vindicates stance on mandatory "sports-based" P.E.

Post by Earl »

Actually, the term I prefer to use is "sports only." Until the advent of the Internet, nonathletic boys who were routinely humiliated and bullied in traditional mandatory P.E. were denied any voice to be heard, and that was because no one cared about them. Certainly not the bright souls who, in effect, mandated bullying by imposing sports (which are supposed to be a form of recreation, not a weapon to be used by bullies) upon kids who were unwilling and not even interested.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... =439x71920
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Earl

Re: DU topic vindicates stance on mandatory "sports-based" P

Post by Earl »

Yes, I happen to be "bbdad" ("bb" for "bodybuilding" and "dad" because I'm one). (*tsk tsk* Bad wording, but who cares?) That's my username at DU.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

It's been almost two months now and I haven't seen any significant results. My muscles do look inflated in some areas, but they still look pretty much the same as they did two months ago.
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Safety, I have been going to the gym on a weekly basis for a good 10 months now and I'm still not seeing any major results. Some slight hardening of my arm muscles, yes, but nothing major. I'm not yet able to lift up a car or knock out an elephant with one punch. Maybe in a few years, though... :lol:

In response to the original topic, I'm also very much against sports-based PE being mandatory for all students. As I've said many times before, forcing nonathletic students to play competitive games against people who are likely to harass them over their shortcomings is only likely to put them off participati.ng in any physical activity whatsoever, not make tomorrow's million-pound sports stars out of them. PE teachers across the world need to think more along the lines of fitness than just sports. Naturally, let those who want to play competitive sports be allowed to play them, but try and consider the rights of the minority.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Safety wrote:It's been almost two months now and I haven't seen any significant results. My muscles do look inflated in some areas, but they still look pretty much the same as they did two months ago.
Bodybuilding takes a long time. My first personal trainer told me that it would take me a very long time and a lot of hard work. I'll ask my current trainer if he knows of any bodybulding websites or any literature that might be helpful to you, especially with regard to being sure that your body gets the calorie surplus it needs for muscular development. Please don't get discouraged yet. I've been working out for over two years. I've made some progress, but I've still got a long way to go.
i_like_1981 wrote:In response to the original topic, I'm also very much against sports-based PE being mandatory for all students. As I've said many times before, forcing nonathletic students to play competitive games against people who are likely to harass them over their shortcomings is only likely to put them off participati.ng in any physical activity whatsoever, not make tomorrow's million-pound sports stars out of them. PE teachers across the world need to think more along the lines of fitness than just sports. Naturally, let those who want to play competitive sports be allowed to play them, but try and consider the rights of the minority.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Of course, I'm in total agreement with you on this issue, i_like_1981. There is a movement to reform P.E. in the United States, although I'm not sure that its success is guaranteed. The "old P.E." is wrong for many reasons. I wish that a lot more people would grasp the simple fact that a sport is a physical contest, not an exercise program. I could go on and on about this issue. Perhaps I'll do just that in a thread in January or February. But not now. It's past my bedtime, guys. :lol:

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

(For reference purposes, I'm the "recovering addict" who recently posted to the Letters page.)

I am in a hiking meetup group, and one of our leaders has decided to undertake a study of sorts, to see if she can become as physically fit (in terms of normal body weight, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.) by hiking regularly as opposed to working out in a gym (which she hates). She has invited the rest of us in our meetup to join her in this project; right now, I'm nursing a bad Achilles tendon, but I do plan to eventually join her in this quest once I am back up to hiking form. (I'm 40 and currently am slightly overweight -- slightly IMO, at least...ha! -- and have normal vital signs with meds for BP and cholesterol. My doctor encourages me to hike, swim and do whatever physical exercise I can.

My view is, hiking is good exercise, both muscular and cardiovascular, plus I've also done many educational hikes with our local metroparks, and have broadened my horizons by learning about nature and the history of the area. I've exercised in gyms before, but didn't feel near the satisfaction that I get from hiking.

Anyone else have any ideas on this topic?
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome, ChrisOH.

Even though I'm not involved in any hiking activities, I'm in complete agreement with you. What I mean is that there is a wide range of physical activities to choose from. I agree with you completely about the need for exercise as a prerequisite for good health. I have type II diabetes; so, I must exercise to help control my blood sugar. On "off days" when I don't work out at my health club, I usually take a brisk, hour-long walk in the subdivision. When I say that I enjoy bodybuilding, I'm not extolling that above other forms of exercise. Bodybuilding just fits my own personal needs. It's just my own preference. Not only that, but different people need different kinds of exercise or physical activity, especially with regard to what their health issues are. I also agree with you completely that whatever exercise a person chooses to do should be something that he or she enjoys doing. I certainly don't believe that everyone should work in a gym.

One of the major problems with the "old P.E." is that it never offered a CHOICE. The old P.E. was nothing less than sports coercion. No exercise programs were even offered; and little, if any, sympathy (actually, no sympathy) was shown to those who were the most physically unfit.

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I recommend swimming, because pool injuries are so uncommon, and because swimming provides a full-body workout.

My father and I have always been terrific runners, and we still love a good hike, but like many people we have weak joints in our legs. Running and jogging, especially on treadmills, can wreak havoc on the legs.

Mostly, I've been walking for an hour or so on the treadmill in my apartment complex three times a week, but I'm considering a membership at the local municipal pool. I've never been a strong swimmer, but I know how, and I doubt it will take me all that long to build up the stamina for a good workout.

--RF
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

recovering_fan wrote:I recommend swimming, because pool injuries are so uncommon, and because swimming provides a full-body workout.

My father and I have always been terrific runners, and we still love a good hike, but like many people we have weak joints in our legs. Running and jogging, especially on treadmills, can wreak havoc on the legs.

Mostly, I've been walking for an hour or so on the treadmill in my apartment complex three times a week, but I'm considering a membership at the local municipal pool. I've never been a strong swimmer, but I know how, and I doubt it will take me all that long to build up the stamina for a good workout.

--RF
I enjoy swimming.

But we fat people don't swim.

We float!!! :) :) :)
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!