Canada vs. Russia?

Ice skates, maple syrup, and a dozen or so toothless morons.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Canada vs. Russia?

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

Apparently there was a hockey game last night. How did I find out about this? My dad yelling obnoxiously, which I could hear all the way across the house while I was trying to work on some of my summatives for my courses. Here's the information I could get from hearing the yelling: It was hockey, it was against Russia, it went on for quite a while, and judging from the change from excited obnoxious yelling into disappointed obnoxious yelling, Canada lost (this was just what it appeared to be, but it is now confirmed because I heard several people talking about it during school). I have no idea what the purpose of this game was, whether it's some big tournament or just a random game, I have no idea. These games annoy me, it almost makes me ashamed to see my father, a person who is normally civil and not an idiot, turn into a loud dumbass who could be mistaken for someone with a mental disability. And he rarely watches sports, I can only imagine how the actual fanatics were acting. A lot of my friends don't really care about sports that much, so when I was talking about how I found it annoying with two of my friends this morning, they said it was exactly the same in their house.

Not only was my father's yelling unbearable, but the discussion of the game from classmates was also annoying. In the morning, when they play the national anthem, I heard people saying things along the lines of "They shouldn't even play the anthem, this country fails anyway". It's not because of some other reason why this country supposedly fails, it's because we lost a hockey game to a country. Oh my. Apparently nowadays, important things that are involved with the economy, society, the environment, none of it matters for a country to be a good country, the outcome of a single sports game matters more. Who cares if the other country is nearly 100 spots lower on both the Democracy Index and the Quality-of-Life Index? It beat our country in a hockey match so it is obviously superior! I'm not trying to bash another country or anything, I just can't stand the people within this country (but also around the world too) who take sports so seriously.

Also, as a side note that I'm sure Jim from the Guestbook would be interested in, I was texting a female last night, and she mentioned the hockey game, I said that to be honest I don't even have the slightest interest in the hockey game and I just find it annoying because I have to listen to my dad yell, but she actually completely agreed with me, and we had a somewhat brief discussion about how pointless hockey is, and how neither of us can see how anyone can possibly watch even 5 minutes of pretty much any sport. She said she watches a bit of the Olympics when they happen, but that's it. I must say she sounded pleased to talk with someone who isn't interested in the game. What's that Jim? No sports, no chicks?
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
recovering_fan

Re: Canada vs. Russia?

Post by recovering_fan »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Who cares if the other country is nearly 100 spots lower on both the Democracy Index and the Quality-of-Life Index? It beat our country in a hockey match so it is obviously superior!
If there is one sport that I actually hate it is hockey. I grew up reading English translations of novels by Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn and other Russians. I celebrated with everyone when Communism ended there, although I was just a kid and didn't understand half of what was going on. Now the country seems divided between money-grubbing billionaires, drug-addicted nihilists, anti-Semites, and people who want to bring back Communism.

So where does hockey come into all that? Well, one opportunity young Russian boys now have is to grow up and play in the NHL. The odds of that panning out for them are worse than the odds of me winning the lottery in my lifetime, but I'm sure a number of them sell out in the aim of making it to the pros because there don't seem to be many other options. It can only serve to distract them from studying to become engineers, and it's a dream that will end in disappointment for most of them.
Earl

Post by Earl »

HugeFan, what can I say except that I agree with you completely. Canada is much better off than Russia. What's truly sad is that the Russians had a very good chance to overcome their authoritarian tradition in 1917 and establish a truly democratic society. Of course, Lenin and his Bolshevik comrades put an end to that.
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:Also, as a side note that I'm sure Jim from the Guestbook would be interested in, I was texting a female last night, and she mentioned the hockey game, I said that to be honest I don't even have the slightest interest in the hockey game and I just find it annoying because I have to listen to my dad yell, but she actually completely agreed with me, and we had a somewhat brief discussion about how pointless hockey is, and how neither of us can see how anyone can possibly watch even 5 minutes of pretty much any sport. She said she watches a bit of the Olympics when they happen, but that's it. I must say she sounded pleased to talk with someone who isn't interested in the game. What's that Jim? No sports, no chicks?
I believe that the "JIM" who has been posting messages in the Guestbook has just been putting us on to get a reaction out of us. He never seemed genuine to me; and in a response to me, he all but admitted as such. But at least he was funny. In other words, I don't think he should be taken seriously.
recovering_fan wrote:I celebrated with everyone when Communism ended there, although I was just a kid and didn't understand half of what was going on. Now the country seems divided between money-grubbing billionaires, drug-addicted nihilists, anti-Semites, and people who want to bring back Communism.
History is full of disappointments. I wonder what the Russian brew whose ingredients you cited above will produce for the rest of the world to face? (That was badly written, but I'm too tired to revise my comments. :mrgreen: ) It may not be very pleasant.
recovering_fan wrote:So where does hockey come into all that? Well, one opportunity young Russian boys now have is to grow up and play in the NHL. The odds of that panning out for them are worse than the odds of me winning the lottery in my lifetime, but I'm sure a number of them sell out in the aim of making it to the pros because there don't seem to be many other options. It can only serve to distract them from studying to become engineers, and it's a dream that will end in disappointment for most of them.
Sounds just like the overemphasis that is placed upon sports in the black community of the U.S. I once read somewhere that in the early 1960s black teenage girls appreciated smart black boys who made good grades the most because they stood a better chance of being successful. Not any more.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Also, as a side note that I'm sure Jim from the Guestbook would be interested in, I was texting a female last night, and she mentioned the hockey game...
HugeFanOfBadReligion, what are you doing posting such things as that? Honestly, do you not have any regard whatsoever for the health and wellbeing of JIM? He might collapse in front of his computer if he found out that people who don't like sports have any female contact! His imaginary "chicks" aren't going to be around to save him! :lol:

Sadly, the same does not apply for all of us here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:
Also, as a side note that I'm sure Jim from the Guestbook would be interested in, I was texting a female last night, and she mentioned the hockey game...
HugeFanOfBadReligion, what are you doing posting such things as that? Honestly, do you not have any regard whatsoever for the health and wellbeing of JIM? He might collapse in front of his computer if he found out that people who don't like sports have any female contact! His imaginary "chicks" aren't going to be around to save him! :lol:

Sadly, the same does not apply for all of us here.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Here is jim (I don't capitalize him name) at his computer.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

i_like_1981 wrote:His imaginary "chicks" aren't going to be around to save him!
U SPOAK 2 SOON !

MY CHICKS IZ HERE 2 SHOW YOUSE WHOS BOSS!

REGARDS,
JIM
Earl

Post by Earl »

*Ahem* This is why we need gun control. :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related