Old collections of baseball/football cards?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
ChrisOH

Old collections of baseball/football cards?

Post by ChrisOH »

From the manifesto on this site, it's pretty clear that collecting baseball cards is frowned upon (which is to be expected on a "Sports Suck" site! :) ) I haven't personally collected any sports cards in nearly 20 years, but I do have a fairly sizable collection from the late 70's/early 80's in baseball and football. I believe many of these cards may have some market value among collectors. I no longer "idolize" sports stars, so possessing them has no particular intrinsic interest to me, but I'm willing to sell them as a a commodity if indeed they have any substantial value.

Anyone have any old sports cards from their childhood, and if so, what did you do with them when you became an adult? Does anyone find them nostalgic in any way, even if you were never that interested in sports themselves?

(Note: Earl mentioned in the Guestbook that the forums had been slow, so I'm trying to generate some discussion even if I may be grasping at straws here...LOL.)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Old collections of baseball/football cards?

Post by Fat Man »

Well, my suggestion, to all those who happen to have some old baseball or football card, hang on to them for a little while longer, and see how much their value increases over the years, then sell them and get as much money for them as you possibly can.

I mean, like, really!!!

Other people get rich off of sports, so why shouldn't we? Eh?

Living well is the best revenge! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

ChrisOH wrote:Note: Earl mentioned in the Guestbook that the forums had been slow, so I'm trying to generate some discussion even if I may be grasping at straws here...LOL.
Well, it may take a while. My hunch is that most people find this site on their own, probably by googling "i hate sports" or something like that, which is how Earl and I both found the site. I figure there would be more people here if a certain intelligent chap didn't constantly hurl invective at every jock that posted, but, you know, what can you do? :lol:

Apologies to everyone for the following sports allusion, but as far as the site goes, Ray built it, and people have come and will continue to come. The main thing is not to chase them away, I think.

RF
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

ChrisOH wrote:Anyone have any old sports cards from their childhood, and if so, what did you do with them when you became an adult? Does anyone find them nostalgic in any way, even if you were never that interested in sports themselves?
Oh, I still have mine. They never really held any nostalgic value for me, and I always hoped they'd pay off as an investment. I threw out 80% of them and only hung to the cards from the late 80s and early 90s which featured players who later went on to have decent careers.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

recovering_fan wrote:
ChrisOH wrote:Anyone have any old sports cards from their childhood, and if so, what did you do with them when you became an adult? Does anyone find them nostalgic in any way, even if you were never that interested in sports themselves?
Oh, I still have mine. They never really held any nostalgic value for me, and I always hoped they'd pay off as an investment. I threw out 80% of them and only hung to the cards from the late 80s and early 90s which featured players who later went on to have decent careers.
Yeah, unless, they're *really* old and in *really* good condition, the "commons" (read: cards of players no one cares about) generally don't have much value, except as place-fillers for collectors trying to complete a set or if you're selling them as part of a complete set themselves. I found a price guide online for baseball cards, and I'm going to price some of the more well-known ones that I have.

I stopped buying sports cards after the early 1990's, even as investments, because it seemed like the market was becoming saturated with them (too many manufacturers, too many sets, and too many people buying them) that I didn't see them increasing in value as much as the older cards would.
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Hi ChrisOH. I have a slightly similar story to yours. Years ago, I found an entire album of football cards that some sports fan had faithfully collected and carefully mounted into an official commerative collectors edition album from that time.

They did all the hard work of collecting the cards - but because I found it, I NOW OWN IT - FOR FREE!

BWUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!

And I don't give a shit about any of the young punks in it, who are now these days regarded as national athlebrity royalty - apart from the fact that they are now worth a MINT to me!

Yeah, I have kept that footboretard album that I found , and I will cash it in one day.
Fat Man wrote: Other people get rich off of sports, so why shouldn't we? Eh?
Oh yeah. Making money out of sports fans - it's kind of like collecting a stupidity tax! :twisted:
Last edited by Agent 47 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Earl

Post by Earl »

ChrisOH wrote:(Note: Earl mentioned in the Guestbook that the forums had been slow, so I'm trying to generate some discussion even if I may be grasping at straws here...LOL.)
Actually, you've raised an excellent subject for this forum.

I never collected baseball or football cards when I was a boy because I never had an interest in sports. But during the early 1960s I did collect Superman and other DC superhero comic books. I ended up with quite a few of them. Then I decided to throw them all away sometime before I started high school. Can you believe I did that? How stupid I was! :roll: I've regretted it ever since. :( :lol:
dickfilthy wrote:BWUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!
I just love those sinister laughs. :twisted: One more time: BWUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:
ChrisOH wrote:(Note: Earl mentioned in the Guestbook that the forums had been slow, so I'm trying to generate some discussion even if I may be grasping at straws here...LOL.)
Actually, you've raised an excellent subject for this forum.

I never collected baseball or football cards when I was a boy because I never had an interest in sports. But during the early 1960s I did collect Superman and other DC superhero comic books. I ended up with quite a few of them. Then I decided to throw them all away sometime before I started high school. Can you believe I did that? How stupid I was! :roll: I've regretted it ever since. :( :lol:
dickfilthy wrote:BWUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!
I just love those sinister laughs. :twisted: One more time: BWUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!
Yeah! And I like to put up sinister pictures along with my sinister laughs!

BWUUUUUAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Well, ... that's not exactly what I had in mind. :(
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The card collecting phase seems to have really gone off now, as far as I'm aware. There was of course that fad of collecting and "battling" with Pokemon cards and the like during the first half of last decade but it all seems to have vanished now. You never hear anyone talking about it now. But then again, that's because they're all too busy absorbed in the internet trends like Facebook. I bet that site will be a virtual ghost town by the end of the decade. But if you hold on to any kind of card that was once popular, it'll gain more and more of a nostalgic value over the years and that can of course correspond to the real monetary value. My personal opinion on the card collecting trend - never was into it much. I just couldn't see the real appeal in it. But sometimes these things can go on to be worth a lot of money - if you see any cards around that were popular a while back, it could be worth a cash in.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

The last time I ever played baseball was back in 1978 with a friend, just the two of us.

We played from about 8:00 PM in the evening until about 12:00 Midnight.

No, we didn't play baseball outdoors with a ball and bat.

Instead, we played baseball indoors on the kitchen table with baseball cards and rolling dice.

We set up the 4 bases on the kitchen table and we each selected 9 cards for our teams, and we rolled the dice and moved the cards around on the table.

Now, that's how we lazy fat asses play baseball.

With cards and dice and we can relax with some food and some beer.

The only way to play baseball.

Yeah, even though I don't care for sports, it was kind of fun.

I guess.

Oh, and by the way, I won!

Earl

Post by Earl »

*Earl reads the first two sentences of Fat Man's post.*
Fat Man wrote:The last time I ever played baseball was back in 1978 with a friend, just the two of us. We played from about 8:00 PM in the evening until about 12:00 Midnight.
*Earl reacts.* :shock: :shock: :shock:
*Then he reads the rest of Fat Man's post.*
Fat Man wrote:No, we didn't play baseball outdoors with a ball and bat.

Instead, we played baseball indoors on the kitchen table with baseball cards and rolling dice.

We set up the 4 bases on the kitchen table and we each selected 9 cards for our teams, and we rolled the dice and moved the cards around on the table.

Now, that's how we lazy fat asses play baseball.

With cards and dice and we can relax with some food and some beer.

The only way to play baseball.

Yeah, even though I don't care for sports, it was kind of fun.

I guess.

Oh, and by the way, I won!
Ooooh, I get it! I should have known. :lol: