Earl's favorite high-school football coach

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

Earl's favorite high-school football coach

Post by Earl »

Yes, there is a high-school football coach whom I actually admire. Several of the forum members already know that I'm referring to Joe Ehrmann. I would be interested in hearing Samdaman's :x reaction to Ehrmann's philosophy of life. Our favorite antagonist might be surprised. Samdaman :x probably would be quite scornful of him, even though he's a former professional football player (which Samdaman :x probably will never become). If Joe Ehrmann could be cloned at every high school in this country and his philosophy became the dominant view in practice, this website would probably cease to exist in a few years. I have taken the liberty to provide a link to another webpage about him.

http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/sub.cf ... icleID=955

And since I'm such a generous guy, I've also posted a link to a You Tube video about Joe Ehrmann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQRRGlaZjNs

Edit: I ran a trial run by clicking on the link, but it didn't access the video. So, if you would, click on this link http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rmann&aq=f and play the You Tube video entitled "A Different Way - Joe Ehrmann."
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Earl's favorite high-school football coach

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening Earl.

Excellent article.

But when I clicked on the You Tube link, I got a page that said it wasn't available.

So, I did a You Tube search for Joe Ehrmann and it took me to this page.

A Different Way - Joe Ehrmann
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQRRGIaZjNs

Yes, I know my link looks the same as your link, but this one works.

Anyway . . . . .

Here is a copy of the article.

KEYNOTE: THE GAME CHANGER
Urbanite #48 June 08

By: Michael Anft

Former Colts star Joe Ehrmann on why sports brings out the worst in boys and men, and what to do about it

So, which is it?

Is the world of athletics an oasis where competition instills character, where spectators can take joy in watching the young and strong command their bodies? Or is sports a mirage that lures youth toward a false sense of possibility, turns their parents into foul-mouthed sideline menaces, and belches up such role models as Roger Clemens and Michael Vick?

Joe Ehrmannâ??s answer: Yes, and yes.

The former Colts star agrees that athletics have become intertwined with destructive notions of masculinity, perverting whatever virtues the experience might offer. But the defensive tackle-turned-man-of-God also sees sportsâ??more specifically, the tutelage of enlightened, loving coachesâ??as a potential road to salvation.

Ehrmannâ??s backstory shows why he can have it both ways. In the mid-1970s, when he was an armored, white-and-blue-draped hulk with the number seventy-six on his back, Ehrmann tossed other human beings to the ground for glory. The â??Sack Packâ?â??the beefy quartet of Ehrmann, Mike Barnes, Fred Cook, and John Duttonâ?? led the National Football League in quarterback takedowns in 1975 and was as essential to the rebirth of the post-Unitas franchise as howitzer-armed quarterback Bert Jones. Like all of the Colts teams of the era (and before an implosion engineered a few years later by owner Robert Irsay), Ehrmann and his teammates were revered, and the hard-partying Ehrmann played the role of gridiron hero to the hiltâ??holding court at Leadbetterâ??s bar in Fells Point, and anywhere else he was invited. He owned the town, and acted like it.

Ehrmannâ??s conversion began in the midst of a ten-year NFL career, as he watched his 18-year-old brother, Billy, struggle for five months in a pediatric cancer ward at Johns Hopkins. Billyâ??s death in 1978 was a â??cathartic moment,â? he says. â??A lot of my sense of manhood came into question. I had climbed to the pinnacle as one kind of man, but I found that it was empty and unfulfilling, and had little to do with helping other people. It had been more about me being number seventy-six than being a person.â?

A friend gave him a copy of Viktor Franklâ??s psychoanalytic book on life in a Nazi concentration camp, Manâ??s Search for Meaning, and Ehrmann was transformed. In 1982, he helped build a Ronald McDonald House near Hopkins Hospital for families of children with cancer. In 1985, he was ordained a Lutheran minister, and in 1988 he founded The Door, an outreach charity designed to help needy families in East Baltimore find purpose and work.

Only the red-and-blue tattoo on his left forearm, made indecipherable by time, serves as a fading reminder of Ehrmannâ??s feral past. Now 59, he gives more than a hundred talks and seminars each year to youth coaches, injured Iraq War vets, community groups, and NFL teamsâ??the latter as part of the leagueâ??s move to improve its playersâ?? behavior. In conversation, he tosses around terms like â??self esteemâ? and â??father woundâ?â??a prevalent concept in Christian counseling that has to do with emotionally stunted responses sons receive from fathers, and the toxic aftereffects that linger throughout the sonâ??s adulthoodâ??to explain how too many use sport for ill, depriving young men of the acceptance they need to love and be loved.

Ehrmann also practices what he preaches at the Gilman School, where he serves as a volunteer assistant football coach. One of his star players is his son Joey Ehrmann, who has accepted a scholarship to play football at Wake Forest University this fall.

Over nothing stronger than a few cups of coffee, Ehrmann sat down to chat about whatâ??s wrong with sports and what we can do about it.

Q - Thereâ??s this prevalent belief that sports heroes are worthy role modelsâ??even though thereâ??s little evidence to suggest they possess more character than people in any other walk of life. Why do we persist in saying that sports equals virtue?

A - The greatest myth in America is that sports builds character. It doesnâ??t do that unless a coach teaches it and itâ??s intentional. Weâ??ve reduced sports to winning at all costs, at every level. Most studies show that the longer a child is successful at sports, the greater the ethical corners heâ??ll start cutting.

Q - If holding sports up as a way to develop character is wrong, as you seem to be saying, why bother to lavish educational resources on itâ??especially with fallen heroes like Clemens and Vick in the background?

A - Sports is actually an incredible way to teach character, but itâ??s got nothing to do with role models. Thatâ??s all a Madison-Avenue construct designed to sell more merchandise or tickets. Madison Avenue promotes what I call the three myths of masculinity: that men need to possess athletic ability, that they need to have sexual conquests, and that they have to have economic success. Athletes have all three of those lies embedded within their lives. As a society, we have to start moving against that, because none of those myths has anything to do with masculinity or creating a good person.

Q - Yet, kidsâ??and their parentsâ??eat it up. Given that, how is it possible that playing sports represents a â??teachable momentâ??

A - When I walked away from playing sports, I walked away from it totally. But I eventually came to the conclusion that thereâ??s probably not another venue in America where we can address our deepest social problems. Sports is the secular religion of America. It engages more individuals, families, and communities than any cultural institution we have. And the high priest of that religion is the coach. Football really should be viewed as a tool for teaching. The problem is weâ??ve lost sight of sports as a way to teach. Sports should be the last class of the day. Most schools and school systems have totally lost their balls in the weeds on that. If itâ??s not an educational activity, what good is it? Why do schools even have sports teams? Why should taxpayers be funding it?

Q - If coaches are indeed the â??high priestsâ? of sports, what should they be preaching?

A - The biggest predictor of a childâ??s success is self-esteem. You canâ??t teach kids in this age without teaching about racism, relationships, and other things that make them aware of how people have treated each other, or how they should treat each other. For me, the success you have in being a man or woman comes down to two things: Can you love and be loved? Itâ??s about building relationships. Coaches have an amazing amount of power to teach that because every boy who plays wants to please that coach. Kids are tremendous. They want someone to look them in the eye and tell them they have value. If I realize that I have that kind of platform, I can speak to them about important values and about why many of the cultural messages they receive are wrong.

Q - And do you do that when you deal with the kids at Gilman?

A - During practices and before games, we teach them about poverty, racism, gender inequality, violence. Two of our primary topics are relationships and how to become a good man. How do you define that? We teach them the three lies of masculinity, how to be empathetic and gentle. During Homecoming Week, weâ??ll teach our guys about how to date a girl. Weâ??ll say: â??That girl youâ??re dating isnâ??t there to be disrespected or used by you. Sheâ??s her parentsâ?? prized possession. Treat her like you would your mother or your sister.â?? Iâ??ll teach kids about the Dred Scott Supreme Court decision that said black men werenâ??t constitutionally protected, how racism affects poverty. Thereâ??s no reason why coaches across the country canâ??t do something similar for young people.

Iâ??d like to see coaches be required to develop and turn in lesson plans, like teachers do. They would have to tell administrators what lessons theyâ??ll be teaching, including ones about morality, citizenship, and relationships. When I give seminars for coaches, I have them write down on an index card why theyâ??re a coach, why they coach the way they do, and what they want to get out of it, among other things. I try to get them to locate their core values and think about ways to relate them to their kids. What Iâ??ve learned is that with coaches and any other adult, they can convey those values if theyâ??ve made sense of their own livesâ??created a meaningful narrative from it. My wifeâ?? who is a psychotherapist â??and I call it â??mindsight.â? Itâ??s the capacity to understand yourself and others. Itâ??s not real complicated.

Q - In urban America, pro sports are seen as a ticket out of lives of squalor and danger. But the chances making it are infinitesimal. Doing what youâ??re doing at a school like Gilman might have value, but arenâ??t inner city kids who are susceptible to misleading cultural messages more in need of educational systems that prepare them for careers in things other than sports?

A - Of course. Theyâ??re better off buying lottery tickets than dreaming of a career playing a game. As a coach, you have to teach against the idea that sports is a way out. Kids need critical and social skills. They need to be taught the history of ghettos and about systemic racism. Their lives are dominated by the perpetuation of myths and by a feeling of powerlessness. You have to teach them the role that race and economics have played in their livesâ??and then show them that thatâ??s not their life. Then you have to help them develop self-esteem that can pull them out of that situation, so they can develop relationships that are positive and that they can build a life on. My conclusion is that you canâ??t take care of any crisis in urban America without dealing with the crisis of masculinity.

Q - What do you mean by that?

A - Men are in pain, man. Theyâ??ve denied it and suppressed it and buried it. But when you get them together and they hear you and others talking about it, they open up and it all flows out. I donâ??t care whether itâ??s Gilman kids, inner-city kids, NFL guys, or men in the boardroom. Theyâ??re all dealing with the expectations of masculinity that their fathers put on them. They were told they had to achieve a certain impossible, mythical level of masculinity to be a man, and itâ??s dominated their psyches. To deal with that, theyâ??ve had to medicate with somethingâ?? like I didâ??or become successful without any regard for the price they pay in relationships or health. As theyâ??ve gotten older, that myth has moved from the ball field to the bedroom to the billfold. Thatâ??s the progression. Itâ??s all about power and dominance and control. The communal and national cost we pay for that is just phenomenal. Many coaches perpetuate or reinforce that myth of masculinity.

Q - Youâ??ve paid some of those health costs yourself: Youâ??re hobbled these days by leg injuries that wonâ??t get much better, and youâ??ve watched a lot of your old NFL brethren succumb to Alzheimerâ??s and other diseases at rates much higher than that of the general population. Given the toll your playing career took on you physically, would you do it again?

A - Oh yeah. The high of that locker room, the camaraderie and the relationships you develop that last a lifetime â?¦ The old Colts, including the Sack Pack guys, still get together once a month, not just for nostalgia but to try and see what we can do to help other NFL retirees. The beauty of sports is that itâ??s such a melting pot. In this country, weâ??re segregated by zip code, and that determines what we see, where we go, who we hang out with. But sports ought to make you racism-proof. I know I became much more aware of social ills because I got to meet and work closely with people from a wide range of backgrounds. Even if that were all I got out of sports, it would have made it well worth it.

â??Michael Anft wrote about the death of Zachary Sowers in the May Urbanite.
You know . . . If all coaches were more like Joe Ehrmann, teaching their players to have more respect for other people, and teaching more human values, then so many football players would not be bullies.

Football players would like to have people look up to them as heroes, but how can anybody look up to a bully as a hero? Bullies are cowards who harass those who are smaller and weaker, and if you pick on people who are smaller and weaker, then you are not are real man, you're just a bully and a coward.

A real man would be protective of those who are smaller and weaker, and come to their defense.

So, if all coaches were like Joe Ehrmann, teaching their players NOT to be bullies, teaching them that a real man is protective of those smaller and weaker, and coming to their defense, then we could look up to athletes as being heroes.

Perhaps I would no be hating sports as much as I do right now!

No, I still would not care to play football, and I still would not be interested in watching sports, but I would not hate it as much as I do, and perhaps have a little respect for it, even thought I'm not interested in it.

It's just too bad that not all coaches are like Joe Ehrmann.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

I agree with you, Fat Man. I admire the decent players who stand up to bullies, as Andy did on one occasion when he was in high school. I chuckled at the verbal exchange quoted in my topic entitled "an inspiring story." The bully said to the player, "So I heard you called me a *****"; and the player laughed and said, "I hope you did, I said it to your face." :lol:

And thank you very much for copying the webpage article about Joe Ehrmann. :) That saves the reader the trouble of leaving our website by clicking on the link. The article should be read by all the readers of this forum, not just by the members who support this website.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Sports is actually an incredible way to teach character, but itâ??s got nothing to do with role models. Thatâ??s all a Madison-Avenue construct designed to sell more merchandise or tickets. Madison Avenue promotes what I call the three myths of masculinity: that men need to possess athletic ability, that they need to have sexual conquests, and that they have to have economic success. Athletes have all three of those lies embedded within their lives.
Yep, that's the heart of sports culture. Thanks posting this great interview fatman. And thanks to Earl for sharing also. Honestly this guy seems to much more than just football coach, more like an enlightened ex-pro athelete.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Earl

Post by Earl »

You're welcome, Indurrago.

Earl

Post by Earl »

I just found a webpage (http://www.mintzmusings.com/2008_10_01_archive.html) that features a message written by a man who attended one of Joe Ehrmann's presentations. I know this message is a bit dated, but it's still quite relevant. I felt compelled to copy and paste it in its entirety, as follows.
The Love You Make

(A) heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others. "The Wizard Of Oz" (Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson and Edgar Allen Woolf

A few nights ago my friend Ian and I attended an event where Joe Ehrmann spoke about raising boys. Ehrmann, a retired professional football player, is a well-regarded writer and speaker whose focus is on changing centuries old conceptions about how we should teach boys how to be better men. When we arrived at the auditorium, the slide shown on the projector screen was titled, "How to Raise Men/Women in Today's Society." I chuckled at the obvious attempt to be politically correct. The program was specifically publicized as a talk about how to raise boys; it did not matter to me either way. We sat down ready to take-in Ehrmann's viewpoint. Earlier I told you I attended the event, but I did not admit that I was not "there" for the entire lecture. I must have fallen asleep soon after Ehrmann began to speak; I only awakened from a sharp poke to my ribs by Ian (I think I had started to snore). Although I missed half of the presentation, Ehrmann's subsequent comments helped me determine his opinion in a general way about the stereotypical "Man" model and how the traits of being masculine, emotionless, womanizers are inculcated into boys as they grow to be men. When Ian woke me, Ehrmann was speaking about his solutions and I listened carefully. The main thrust of his talk centered on how we must change the way we raise boys (which made me think even more that the "Women" part of the program never really existed at all). He posited that there is a societal need to change the parental behavior and media exposure that turns boys into overly masculine, aggressive, women-conquering cretins. Instead, we need to teach our boys to be kind and considerate in all our relationships, to give back to community and be a good person above all else. One example he mentioned was how boys pick on the smaller, less athletic, smart or effeminate boys instead of stepping to their defense. Another point he made is that boys must treat girls (women) with respect instead of thinking of them as sluts (his word).[Earl's italics]

He gave other examples, but I think you get the idea. His bottom line is that when our lives are fading out or gone, all that remains of us is what we have done, how we have treated others, or how much we had given back to our community. While listening, I thought about how my parents brought me up and how Sandi and I have been rearing our own.

I cannot remember much about what my parents taught me vis-a-vis Joe's bullet points. I can tell you that when my parents had issues with each other, they would go into their bedroom and talk (yes sometimes voices were raised). I also remember that I was friendly with just about every "group" (not clique) on campus (i.e. jocks, leather boys, stoners, and nerds); I managed to get along with all of them. One on point event does come to mind but it is not something I remember. Rather, it was brought to my attention at my 20th High School reunion. A man came up to me to say, "Hello." The man who walked up to me had a weightlifters build and was clearly self-assured. I knew who he was but we had not been "friendly" at school. I also remember that he was a small, smart kid who was not a particularly good athlete. When he was young, a particular physical issue required him to wear a correcting appliance during gym class. After saying hello and making sure I knew who he was, he asked about me and how I was doing and after giving him a brief synopsis, I asked about his life since high school. He introduced is beautiful and very gracious wife and told me at length how well he was doing in business well past the point of being boastful. I began to wonder why he was talking to me this way. I actually thought that maybe I had done something to him so bad that he wanted to come back and tell me off. I got my answer when he told me that he had come over to thank me for telling other boys to leave him alone when they were making sport of him for one reason or another. I was shocked, not because I was particularly surprised that I might have interceded, but because I did not remember doing it; I guess he did. I was happy that as a boy I was enough of a man to defend him. A previous blog entry clearly tells you that I have not always been a strong enough man to do the right thing. Sandi and I have received many compliments on how our boys behave in other people's homes, at parties, or as participants in athletic events. The boys they rave about must be from some "bizarro dimension" because the teens inhabiting our house avoid chores, whine, talk back to us, and complain at every opportunity. Still, based on parental comments and observations from others, I believe that we raised them well enough to be nice to others, to defend the unfortunate, to give back to the community, and to understand that sex is about feelings, not conquest. I also realized from listening to Ehrmann that I have failed them in at least one particular area. At times, Sandi and I have had heated discussions during which I spoke to her inappropriately, likely within hearing of the boys. For years Sandi has cautioned me about this and I ignored her; now I know she was and is correct.

How do I know? The boys learned talk to her with that same inappropriate tone that I have used and they could have only learned this behavious from me. Additionally both Sandi and I should have taken disagreeable conversations away from their sight and hearing. I walked home, apologized to Sandi, and told her I would speak to the boys about my mistakes and make them understand that they needed to bet better at speaking appropriately to everyone, whether it be a teacher,a friend, Sandi or me. All people deserve our respect no matter how angry you may be, how wrong they are or how badly they might make you feel. I enjoyed listening to Ehrmann, but his ideas have been around for a while. I have to say that I agree we would live in a better world if we all lived that way. We may try to be good people but sometimes a single word, sentence, or deed can follow you throughout your life and afterward. As Paul McCartney so aptly wrote in "The End,"

And in the end, The love you take Is equal to The love you make - (Lennon/McCartney)

Jeffrey Mintz Copyright 2008. All Rights Reserved.
How deeply I wish this were the prevailing norm in high schools today.

Earl

Post by Earl »

To those who previously read my post above, I decided this morning to copy and paste the rest of Jeffrey Mintz' message; so, I edited the post above. I thought I should include his entire message for the reader. Just wanted to point that out.

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Man....Earl you never cease to amaze with the things you find. Once again a big THANK-YOU.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Earl

Post by Earl »

You're welcome, Indurrago. :) I've found these webpages merely by running Google searches on entries such as "sports bullying" and checking out individual links that appeared to be relevant and interesting. In other words, I've hoped to find useful webpages at random, I guess you could say.

Why have I chosen to call the attention of readers and members of this forum to webpages such as the one I've featured in this particular post? Well, there are at least two reasons. I want to call attention to individuals and trends that contradict the machismo that is so prevalent in certain sports. When I started posting at this website, I was against mandatory P.E. Then I learned that some educators and coaches were backing genuine fitness classes that benefit nonathletic students instead of subjecting them to the sort of useless torment that nonathletic boys have hated for generations. I'm referring to fitness classes that would have been of great benefit to me and many other nonathletic boys of my generation, had they been provided in junior high and high schools at the time instead of the mandatory sports-based P.E.

Concerning this particular webpage, there is a personal reason why I have chosen to copy and paste the text of the online article about Joe Ehrmann. Speaking as a middle-aged man, I used to be quite prejudiced against football players and football coaches. Not that I ever hated them, but I feared them. Over the years I have welcomed any opportunity of learning about an individual player or coach who wasn't a jerk. What I read about Joe Ehrmann and his fellow coach Biff Poggi amazed me. I never thought I'd ever hear any high-school football coach say that nonathletic boys should be treated with the sort of respect that everyone else is entitled. For many years the impression I had of many high-school football coaches and players was that they looked down on nonathletic boys at their schools as effeminate and inferior, which is truly a vile stereotype. (I hate to say this, but I still believe that the majority of high-school coaches look down on nonathletic boys. I know that some coaches such as Ehrmann do not engage in this sort of prejudice of their own, and even demand that the players they coach conduct themselves honorably off the playing field. But as far as the majority of coaches sharing Ehrmann's views, I still don't believe that he is representative.) So, I must admit that when I call attention to decent guys like Ehrmann that not only am I trying to enlighten the readers of this forum, I'm also dealing with my own prejudice, which has dimished some over the years. If I thought that all high-school football coaches were neanderthals who were not morally opposed to any of their players bullying physically weaker, nonathletic boys at their schools, I would be unhappy.

natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

This is probably the best article I have ever seen on this site. Good job finding it Earl! My high school Cross Country coach may have had state championship teams but he didn't have the insight this guy has.
Earl

Post by Earl »

You're welcome, natmanhan. :)

I am reminded of a particular "authority figure" (actually, one not deserving of much respect) from my teenage years whom I was going to proceed to denounce in rather bitter tones, who (like Ehrmann) once played football at a university before he became -- well, I won't say any more (at least for this evening), since I don't want to spoil this happy moment with possibly too much negativity, except to say that said "authority figure" would hoot in derision at Ehrmann's views and beliefs (if he hasn't done so already upon hearing about him). :roll: :x (Oh, I really was going to let this guy have it; but I'll behave myself. :wink: ) Ehrmann's the better man by far.

Concerning Joe Ehrmann: May his tribe increase. :)