Why fans aren't attending Cleveland Indians baseball games

Can't stand people who are willing to pay for the chance to applaud other people having fun? Welcome home, comrade!
abitagirl

Re: Why fans aren't attending Cleveland Indians baseball gam

Post by abitagirl »

Gotta love when people act like lack of attendance at games is a matter of huge importance. The same kind of hand-wringing has been going on around here over the New Orleans Hornets basketball team. There's even this campaign complete with really stupid slogans aimed at getting people to attend games. Meanwhile the city has a zillion problems that they should maybe consider, you know, worrying about a bit more than they appear to be, and maybe doing something about them, but instead people are all upset about empty seats in the arena. :roll:

It might be because the team is always threatening to leave just about every year or two. Frankly, I'm not so sure the city needs them all that much anyway. The team hasn't been there all THAT long, and I don't think I've noticed much difference economically (not that I've been paying a ton of attention).
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

abitagirl wrote:Gotta love when people act like lack of attendance at games is a matter of huge importance. The same kind of hand-wringing has been going on around here over the New Orleans Hornets basketball team. There's even this campaign complete with really stupid slogans aimed at getting people to attend games. Meanwhile the city has a zillion problems that they should maybe consider, you know, worrying about a bit more than they appear to be, and maybe doing something about them, but instead people are all upset about empty seats in the arena. :roll:
Hello Abitagirl and Safety!

Actually, abitagirl, I remember you posting about the NO basketball team before and was thinking of that when I read the Cleveland article. Around here, almost every industry is hurting from the recession, and they all seem to realize the effect the economy is having on their business -- except the baseball team! They can't understand why people aren't spending money on them! Oops, I forgot -- sports are above all the problems and issues the rest of the world faces; why should they be expected to understand? :roll:

That was my issue, Safety -- not how good the team is doing, or how well-attended other sports are, but the fact that the media wasted time even contemplating this "problem". A week's worth of editorials and ads soliciting people's reasons why they're not attending, then the better part of two pages spent listing the responses. (The two front pages of the paper, mind you, not just the sports section!) Aren't the owners of the team smart enough that it might at least dawn on them that the economy might be a factor? :roll:
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

I guess I forgot that I had already talked about it before, but oh well. :) I guess I should be grateful that my own paper hasn't wasted a ton of space on that particular "problem"...yet. I wouldn't put it past it, though. Right now there are just a bunch of nagging editorials about it, which are bad enough.
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Safety wrote:
Fat Man wrote:
Safety wrote:The average price to buy an MLB baseball ticket is $26.00, so it doesn't have anything to do with money. The reason that the Indians are having a hard time selling tickets is simply because they're a bad team. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati aren't having any problems with attendance.
LIKE, WE GIVE A FLYING FUCK!!!
Thanks for not contributing to the discussion in any way whatsoever... again.
Well, Safety, you did start it all by flaming his Galileo thread. I don't know why you went and did that, because sometimes I have viewed you as being a good participant in discussions on here. However, I do believe that Fat Man has attacked you in about four different threads since then... so now I believe the scales are a bit more than balanced.

How about neither of you flame each other and we can avoid all of this? (Then again, I'm not a moderator so maybe I should just shut up.)

Regarding the topic, over here in the UK one thing you NEVER hear about is the sports industry being in financial trouble. Nope, no matter how bad the recession is for all the normal citizens of this country and how much we're going to have to cut back on things, there is always a more-than-healthy supply of money going around to fill the footballers' wallets and provide them with flash cars, £1 million holiday homes which they'll only visit about once a year and enough publicity to ensure that they can't even show their face in a supermarket without an article appearing about it in the Daily Mail the following day. So fear not, Safety, sports and their representatives are still very secure financially over here in Britain. But don't start hoping that the selfish bastards are going to hand over a bit of it to help keep your sports across the pond in perfect order.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:
Safety wrote:
Fat Man wrote:
Safety wrote:The average price to buy an MLB baseball ticket is $26.00, so it doesn't have anything to do with money. The reason that the Indians are having a hard time selling tickets is simply because they're a bad team. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati aren't having any problems with attendance.
LIKE, WE GIVE A FLYING FUCK!!!
Thanks for not contributing to the discussion in any way whatsoever... again.
Well, Safety, you did start it all by flaming his Galileo thread. I don't know why you went and did that, because sometimes I have viewed you as being a good participant in discussions on here. However, I do believe that Fat Man has attacked you in about four different threads since then... so now I believe the scales are a bit more than balanced.
Actually, it was my topic on Charles Darwin's birthday and Safety said that both Charles Darwin and Galileo were burning down in Hell.

Well, since I'm not a Christian, then I don't forgive, and I don't turn the other cheek.

Someone smites me on the cheek I'll punch that guy's lower jaw so hard it will swing around to the back of his neck, and for the rest of his life, he will have to suck mush through a straw.

So, I'll never forgive Safety for that comment.

If it's absolution he seeks, then he should go to his pedophile priest or his butt-banging bishop!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!