Walking for health and fitness (article)

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
ChrisOH

Walking for health and fitness (article)

Post by ChrisOH »

I saw this on MSN this morning -- I enjoy walking, and for me it's another dispelling of the "we need sports to be fit or healthy" myth.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cho ... ageindex=1
Indurrago

Re: Walking for health and fitness (article)

Post by Indurrago »

Crap, got me on the first slide. Got a history of diabetes from my father's side actually. :(
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Indurrago wrote:Crap, got me on the first slide. Got a history of diabetes from my father's side actually. :(
I've had family histories of diabetes on from both parents -- so far, my blood sugar's normal, but I get tested every six months and my doctor has stressed the need for me to pay attention to my diet and activity level because of that.
Earl

Post by Earl »

The doctor who diagnosed my diabetic condition (type II) said that the best form of exercise for people who have diabetes is to take a brisk, nonstop walk lasting for about an hour every day.

I wish people would realize that promoting sports and promoting physical fitness are not one and the same. Forcing nonathletic kids to participate in sports against their will is not going to help them become healthy. Instead, they become discouraged and frequently don't exercise at all. How many of those who insist upon mandatory P.E. recognize this fact? Apparently, only a few. They really don't care about the physical fitness needs of nonathletes. What jerks they are! :evil:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

As cynical as I may sound, I have often just viewed PE in schools as a singular way for the dim, athletic and obnoxious students to achieve some form of success in an academic setting. If it was truly physical education, they would base the curriculum more around developing fitness instead of getting everyone to play team sports every lesson. PE, in my experience, does not constitute an actual subject. There's no "education" about it, really, and like you say, Earl, forcing some students to do these games when they quite clearly won't gain from it is only likely to further discourage them from improving their fitness. PE these days just doesn't focus on the "education" aspect at all. And I don't believe things are improving here in the UK. At least, not as far as I know. :(

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

PE, Physical "Education" is as about as educational as playing in a sandbox.

And even if your gym does provide some regular exercise, like calisthenics, you don't even need to be able to count any higher than four!

Yeah! Now, that's really educational, isn't it!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!