The NBA, Where God's a Fan Happens!

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

The NBA, Where God's a Fan Happens!

Post by Fat Man »

I have recently discovered a YouTube channel created by this really cool black intellectual, Jeremiah Camara who goes by the user name of camara714 who has also produced a series of videos titled "Slave Sermons" on which I will comment later on this evening in another topic.

I have to go out this afternoon but I will be back to post in the Off Topics section.

This guy has produced some very interesting videos, and I like to think of Jeremiah Camara as the Black Carl Sagan.

This guy is really cool. By the way, he is an atheist, but I believe we need to listen to what he has to say about how religion has been used to oppress African Americans, and it's not just the white television evangelists who are guilty of this. He also points the finger at his own black preachers, ministers, and pastors who are equally guilty, because of their anti-intellectualism, they brainwash their parishioners until they are not able to think for themselves.

Anyway, please do check out this video. I have taken screen shots to post the images here.

The NBA, Where God's a Fan Happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDN3Fh8C9_8
--------------------------------------------------
Uploaded by camara714 on Jun 7, 2008

Jeremiah Camara spoofs the NBA commercial "Where Amazing Happens."
--------------------------------------------------

Yeah! Now I know!

It appears that God is a sports fan, but cares not for starving and abused children around the world.

Nor did God care about me when I was a kid growing up here in the USA.

I really don't know, but maybe God hates my guts, because as a kid, I had a crippled up left knee, was lousy at sports, wanted to study science, especially Astronomy, I believe the universe is 4.5 billions years old, I support Darwin's theory of evolution, I was already reading books at the adult level when I was only in the third grade, I scored 150 points on a standard IQ test when I was 13 years old, I wanted to build a telescope back in 1970 when I was 19 years old, but my own brother tried to come after me with a shot gun because he felt that my wanting to build a telescope was being disruptive of our family.

So, I guess because I'm not a jock, then God must hate me!

Yes, now I know.

Well, I got to go now.

But I'll be back later on this evening.

Catch ya gators later!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Re: The NBA, Where God's a Fan Happens!

Post by Earl »

I happen to be a believer in the literal inspiration of the scriptures. Does that make me a sports fan? :?

Joe Ehrmann has said, "Sport is the secular religion of America and coaches are its high priests." I am a member of a church of Christ; but as far as the "secular religion of America" is concerned, I'm an agnostic, if not an outright atheist (albeit a tolerant and compassionate one).
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:I happen to be a believer in the literal inspiration of the scriptures. Does that make me a sports fan? :?
No, of course not!

I realize that not all Christians are sports fans.

In fact, when I was in college, I have known some Christians who would agree with me, that the institution of sports is morally corrupt, and goes against their own Christian principles.

I have also known some Christians who didn't hold to a literal interpretation of the Bible, and have no problem even accepting Darwin's Theory of Evolution, and believe that Evolution did occur, and that, it was the method God used for creating life.

As I have said before, Copernicus, Galileo, Johannes Kepler, and Isaac Newton were Christians, but because Galileo did not hold to a literal interpretation of the Bible, saying that the Bible teaches how to go to Heaven, and not how the heavens go, was the reason why he ran into trouble with the established authorities in the Catholic Church.

It's just that I have known some Christians who were rabid sports fans, and believed that they could pray to God that their favorite team wins, which made no sense to me, because if you have Christians on one side praying that their team wins, and Christians on the other side praying for their team to win, then whichever team wins . . .

. . . well . . . does that indicate that God is a fan of one of the teams?

If God is a sports fan, then which team is he a fan of?

That's why I use to tell Christians that I have known in the past, that they really ought not to be praying for their team to win, because that would be playing God for one side, and against the other side.

So, I say, praying to God that one's favorite team wins, that is fucking retarded, or in this particular case, Christarded!
Earl wrote:Joe Ehrmann has said, "Sport is the secular religion of America and coaches are its high priests." I am a member of a church of Christ; but as far as the "secular religion of America" is concerned, I'm an agnostic, if not an outright atheist (albeit a tolerant and compassionate one).
Well, I say, if sports has become a religion, then it ought to be taken out of our schools, because it violates the separation of Church and state, just like trying to teach Creationism in a science class is also a violation of the separation of Church and state.

OK, please understand, that the way things are going here lately, in the USA, I'm very angry right now, and I'm scared!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Earl wrote:I happen to be a believer in the literal inspiration of the scriptures. Does that make me a sports fan? :?

Joe Ehrmann has said, "Sport is the secular religion of America and coaches are its high priests." I am a member of a church of Christ; but as far as the "secular religion of America" is concerned, I'm an agnostic, if not an outright atheist (albeit a tolerant and compassionate one).
Hello Earl!

Last weekend, my wife and I went to visit my father in my hometown, where the good ol' "Church o' Christ" I used to attend is still standing, and seems to be growing bigger all the time. :evil: (Some years ago, right after I left, they changed the name to "Fairfield Christian Church" instead of Church of Christ, but from seeing their website and articles about the preacher and his views, the change was semantic only.)

Anyway, on the sign in front of the church, it read, "Fairfield Christian Church, Home of the Fairfield Christian Academy Knights" (FCA being their church-sponsored high school and the Knights being their athletic teams.) The word "KNIGHTS" was in huge letters, with the name of the church (including the word "Christian") in very small lettering. Guess they're more proud of their new "god" than their old one.... :?