The Truth about Sports: Athletes are not heroes

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Indurrago

The Truth about Sports: Athletes are not heroes

Post by Indurrago »

It's been awhile since I've been on so I wanted to put a interesting topic to talk about. It's because of this false perception that success in sports is the ultimate form of recognition that we lose so many of our friends and family to sports. Sure everybody has there own definition of "heroes" but does more home runs or touchdowns than any in the past make you a hero? Does winning a gold medal or two actually make a difference? My definition of a hero is somebody who makes a difference in somebody else life(besides their own) without expecting anything in return.
Some sport zombies challenge this argument by saying that would make would include soldiers as non-heroes. I disagree soldiers sacrifice alot more than just sweat, time, and some broken bones. They pay with their lives and because of the war its not uncommon. I could go on and on but I'll conclude with this: the next time somebody brags about some great game or this god-like player you tell him/her about the real heroes, the ones that make a REAL difference.
Skul
Forum Admin

Re: The Truth about Sports: Athletes are not heroes

Post by Skul »

People like firefighters are heroes. They risk their own lives to save the lives of others. Would you ever see an athlete rush into a burning, building on the brink of collapse to try and save someone? Hell, they probably would, except it would be to save their precious trophy; you know so they could still look back on the day they kicked a ball better than some other guys.

People like research scientists who discover ways to cure deadly diseases and disabilities are heroes. They're starting to beat Cancer, something I wasn't expecting for a few years, yet.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

Post by Canadian_Hockey_Hater »

Heroes are many different things... People who put themselves in harms way for others, or find ways to make people's lives better, firefighters, doctors, or even someone without a title. Just someone walking by on the sidewalk and saw someone in trouble and went to help, they are all heroes. Jocks are not heroes. Getting a goal is not something heroic, having people cheer for you like maniacs does NOT make you a hero! Most heroes get no recognition, and don't need any. Jocks will prance around like the arrogant idiots they are, waving their little trophy in the air, thinking they are better then everyone else. Definatly not hero material.
Sports contribute nothing to society. They are a waste of time, money, effort and TV channels! It's just a bunch of buffed up, fat headed, idiotic jocks chasing a ball around.

If cheerleading were any easier... It would be called football!
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

I would say adoptive parents are far more heroic than any so called "hero" who just kicks a ball around for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Instead of taking more and more they sometimes do without so someone who's not even a blood relative of theirs can live a normal life, and instead of playing a game they work hard to raise a child.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

Funny, because athletes will be the first ones to tell you they're not heroes, and the first ones to thank the troops overseas.

If you watch any sporting events, they are very involved with the troops, and they're always talking about them.

After 9/11, the Jets, Giants, and Patriots all did a lot with the NYPD and the NY Fire Department.

You guys are arguing against something that no one even thinks. And when people call an athlete a hero, they mean in the context of that game, season, etc.
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Funny, because athletes will be the first ones to tell you they're not heroes, and the first ones to thank the troops overseas.
I never accused them of that.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Funny, because athletes will be the first ones to tell you they're not heroes, and the first ones to thank the troops overseas.
:roll: Oh really? If that's the case then they SAY their not heroes but they ignorant BELIEVE they actually are. All that money and fame inflates their egos until they think they can get away with breaking the law. And second, the first ones to thank the troops are the families of the troops. I'm not into worshiping other human beings. A word of advice get some better heroes. Both my parents have been nurses for almost 30 years each and I can safely say they've made more of a difference than any athlete you mentioned. Oh, by the way I'm still waiting for the the sequel of your "last post," Last Post 2: The last comment can't wait to see it. :D
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

what the hell are you talking about?

you're saying you don't believe them when they say they know they're not heroes? Because they're ignorant? You know these athletes personally?

Obviously you have your occasional athlete who lets the spotlight get to him, but the majority don't get into trouble. I guess you could focus on something that isn't an accurate representation though.

and obviously I didn't literally mean first, but keep reaching. It's amusing.

I don't worship any athlete, and I never stated any of them were my heroes. So again, keep reaching for something that isn't there.

And I'm willing to bet there are some athletes who have made more of a difference than your parents.
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: And I'm willing to bet there are some athletes who have made more of a difference than your parents.
Indurrago wrote:
:roll: Oh really? If that's the case then they SAY their not heroes but they ignorant BELIEVE they actually are.
Gotta say I'm a bit skeptical of what both of you are saying. I think some athletes probably do think they're heroes but there are also a lot that don't. However, I also don't find it very likely that any athletes make a bigger difference than two nurses who have been at their jobs for 30 years, at least not directly (they might donate money though).
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

He's right. Pro football and basketball players are nothing but posers. They show up for a few minutes at some muscular dystrophy event and everybody falls all over themselves to kiss their ass! What did they do? Nothing! Yet they make the evening news as if they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

They might not CLAIM to be heros (but maybe some do, I dunno) but they show up at these events KNOWING they are the star, knowing that stupid sports fans will line up for hours to get just a glimpse of his greatness, knowing that just by allowing their brainwashed, adoring fans to see the back of their capes is a special event and will make headlines around the frikkin' country!

I am SICK of hearing about how great this and that athlete is because they donate $500,000 to a charity! I got news for you sports fans: it's a huge tax deduction and if the player DIDN'T make that charity donation, Uncle Sam would just take the money away in taxes. So athletes MUST BE benevolent or they will lose money.

Everybody know this, especially the athletes. Yet they continue to show up at children's events and pose like the big, stupid lugs they are, hoping to continue to fool the ignorant sports fans (which is about 95% of them). I despise them.

I Hope We Lose!
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

natmanhan wrote:
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: And I'm willing to bet there are some athletes who have made more of a difference than your parents.
Indurrago wrote:
:roll: Oh really? If that's the case then they SAY their not heroes but they ignorant BELIEVE they actually are.
Gotta say I'm a bit skeptical of what both of you are saying. I think some athletes probably do think they're heroes but there are also a lot that don't. However, I also don't find it very likely that any athletes make a bigger difference than two nurses who have been at their jobs for 30 years, at least not directly (they might donate money though).
I didn't mean the athletes did it with sports. They have a lot of money, thus allowing them to give to charity, help out in the community, etc.

Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat gave a less fortunate family a home to live in for Christmas. That's just one of the many things athletes do to give back.

Also, depending on what his parents did as nurses, I don't know if it's that much of a stretch to say athletes make a bigger difference. Sports give A LOT of people an escape and a reason to feel happy when maybe they are feeling down. I brought this up in my first post, but the 01 Yankees, after 9/11 helped a lot of people through the grieving process, and gave them an escape for a few hours during the World Series.

You might say sports are the wrong thing to get joy from, but how can you argue with what makes someone happy?

I don't expect my valid points to be responded to by anything intelligent, but I guess I can hope.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Ray wrote:He's right. Pro football and basketball players are nothing but posers. They show up for a few minutes at some muscular dystrophy event and everybody falls all over themselves to kiss their ass! What did they do? Nothing! Yet they make the evening news as if they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

They might not CLAIM to be heros (but maybe some do, I dunno) but they show up at these events KNOWING they are the star, knowing that stupid sports fans will line up for hours to get just a glimpse of his greatness, knowing that just by allowing their brainwashed, adoring fans to see the back of their capes is a special event and will make headlines around the frikkin' country!

I am SICK of hearing about how great this and that athlete is because they donate $500,000 to a charity! I got news for you sports fans: it's a huge tax deduction and if the player DIDN'T make that charity donation, Uncle Sam would just take the money away in taxes. So athletes MUST BE benevolent or they will lose money.

Everybody know this, especially the athletes. Yet they continue to show up at children's events and pose like the big, stupid lugs they are, hoping to continue to fool the ignorant sports fans (which is about 95% of them). I despise them.

I'm glad you can read people's minds allowing you to know exactly what the athletes motives are when they do charity work.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

So are you suggesting that mere "inspiration" and donating some money is better than quality health service?
I don't think so.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: I'm glad you can read people's minds allowing you to know exactly what the athletes motives are when they do charity work.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't I guess.
Yeah, Ray rocks like that. Believe it.
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

detroitsportsfan08 wrote: I didn't mean the athletes did it with sports. They have a lot of money, thus allowing them to give to charity, help out in the community, etc.
I'm not going to question their motives, but it certainly makes benevolence easier when you do it through money rather than actual work on it.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat gave a less fortunate family a home to live in for Christmas. That's just one of the many things athletes do to give back.
He gave them the money for it. That's not exactly the same as building it for them brick by brick, since it doesn't involve much personal sacrifice. A nice thing to do though nonetheless.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: Also, depending on what his parents did as nurses, I don't know if it's that much of a stretch to say athletes make a bigger difference. Sports give A LOT of people an escape and a reason to feel happy when maybe they are feeling down. I brought this up in my first post, but the 01 Yankees, after 9/11 helped a lot of people through the grieving process, and gave them an escape for a few hours during the World Series.
Good point. Even then though I'd say nurses are probably a bit more benevolent, with less pay and less enjoyable work dedicated solely to helping people get through hard times.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: You might say sports are the wrong thing to get joy from, but how can you argue with what makes someone happy?
Not very effectively, unless they get happiness from stabbing people and that causes them to continue to stab them.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote: I don't expect my valid points to be responded to by anything intelligent, but I guess I can hope.
Dude, I'm not your enemy here. I do agree with some things you have said and when I disagree I have a reason to.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

I've been wondering this. Detroitsportsfan, do come here and grace us with you're "wisdom" before or after the "games" or even both?
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D