African Elephants killing rhinos

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Indurrago

African Elephants killing rhinos

Post by Indurrago »

I had heard of incidents where Elephants in musk(very aroused state) would kill rhinoceroses but I never knew about the details which would lead up to something. I had just watched program about a park in Africa where this problem was getting out of hand so they brought in some older bull elephants to keep the young ones in line. Some of the pictures of the poor dead rhinos showed that some those elephants were quite merciless when in musk. Another interesting part is how they transport the bull elephants and quite quickly. The solution seemed to work but only time will time as they always say but hopefully some rhinos will be saved. Oh, if your wondering about animals' statistics:the rhinos are around 2 tons(they did not' give a estimated height or specify which species) while a bull African elephant can grow up to 11.5 feet or around 4 meters and 6 tons(roughly around 5443 kilograms or 2 to 3 dozen American football players). Overall it was more informative than anything else and surprisingly not that exciting but interesting to say the least. One last note, I think the bull elephants even with musk get along better with each other than Sports "finest heroes" do. Good night, all.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

Re: African Elephants killing rhinos

Post by Canadian_Hockey_Hater »

wow... thats crazy. i never heard of an elephant doing that, an interesting piece of info to know. yeah... the sports players and the sports fans can (and usually do) get really violent... worse then an elephant and a rhino lol
Sports contribute nothing to society. They are a waste of time, money, effort and TV channels! It's just a bunch of buffed up, fat headed, idiotic jocks chasing a ball around.

If cheerleading were any easier... It would be called football!
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Yeah, it really does happen but its usually the young bulls(think young teenage football-players) who kill it. The older bulls keep the younger ones in line so rhinos are pretty safe as long as they're there. Unlike the sports fans the two animals actually fight over reasonable things like water or food(something most sports fan don't have trouble getting). And sports fans usually riot because the lame excuse of "their team" lost that day or some ref. made a bad call. This is kinda out of topic but since we're talking about animals I always found it funny how those teams would use animals as mascots while they have absolutely no knowledge or respect for those animals. If they ever met an "living" example of their mascot face to face, they would learn those two things faster then could get a ball from one side to field to another.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

I've heard of such behavior. There was a program on Animal Planet one time. It described the behavior and speculated about the triggers for it. In the mean time, though, they kept a watchful eye on the rhinos so they wouldn't be driven out of the area that the people were studying.