The "I will be away for a while" thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
i_like_1981

Re: The "I will be away for a while" thread

Post by i_like_1981 »

recovering_fan wrote:(I think in general, we all understand that we all have lives outside Sportssuck.)
Doesn't apply for all of us, mate... :lol: (Just a joke. Even I have some other stuff going on.)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Hello, I am back (kind of). I will just be making some passes here until I will be leaving for Cadet Camp for a week and a bit. (I have to go as I am a senior NCO, so...)
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The Imperialist wrote:Hello, I am back (kind of). I will just be making some passes here until I will be leaving for Cadet Camp for a week and a bit. (I have to go as I am a senior NCO, so...)
Well, hello again, Imperialist. It has been rather a while since you last posted on here - I suspected you'd given up with this website and move on. Nonetheless, it's good to see you back round here again. Cadet Camp? I take it you're aiming for a career in some part of the military (which one? Infantry? Navy? Air force? I'm interested to know), so good luck with your undertakings. It seems like you're pretty busy. I'm sure you'll do well with it. Are you planning to do further education here in Britain or not?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Hello folks!

My posting may be sporadice the next few days, as I'm having trouble with my Internet connection and the cable company assures me that while it isn't my fault and I won't be charged, I will have to have a service call, which right now is scheduled for Friday. I'm getting online at the library right now, but the time allotted here is limited. Hope to be more back in the loop in a few days! :|
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

well, I'm kind of back...I'm now able to get online hit-or-miss, but still have trouble with some sites. So, I'll do the best I can for now! :|
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

ChrisOH wrote:well, I'm kind of back...I'm now able to get online hit-or-miss, but still have trouble with some sites. So, I'll do the best I can for now! :|
I hope you get your internet connection sorted out soon, ChrisOH. We need you round here. It's getting a bit quieter round here now, I've noticed. Anyways, as long as you've got some way to pay us a visit every now and again, that's fine.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Thank you for complimentary words, 1981 -- it's now 6 p.m. Wednesday and the connection seems to be working OK -- it was sputtering last night after being off all day yesterday. Don't worry, I don't plan on going anywhere! :D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

ChrisOH wrote:Thank you for complimentary words, 1981 -- it's now 6 p.m. Wednesday and the connection seems to be working OK -- it was sputtering last night after being off all day yesterday. Don't worry, I don't plan on going anywhere! :D
Whenever my internet breaks down I just tend to switch off the receiver box, wait for about a minute or two and then turn it back on. That sometimes solves the problem. Sometimes it doesn't and I'll have to wait longer. Nonetheless, good to have you back. (Back? You never really did leave, but still, you get the point.) In my opinion, too many former members of this forum have "gone somewhere". :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

i_like_1981 wrote:In my opinion, too many former members of this forum have "gone somewhere". :D
I've noticed that too -- although I've only been active here since December, in perusing the archives it seems like there were many more posting members in past years. It seems like we have maybe a dozen or less now who post with any regularity.

Interesting you brought that up, 1981, because I was planning to post on that topic today anyway. Why do you think there are less active members now than in the past, and where did all the past members go? Was there some sort of argument among members that caused many to leave, or was it a more mundane reason, such as job and family responsibilities, other interests and hobbies, etc., just not allowing as much time to visit the site or post? Or did they just get bored with it and move on? (I could certainly understand the latter -- I tend to post more, it seems, in the Off-Topic or Forum Games than I used to, simply because I enjoy the camaraderie with the members I've gotten to "know" on here. But I realize there's only so many times one can talk about, "I'm so sick of seeing basketball on TV", and then one they've "vented", they may just move on to other things.)

Any thoughts on this, anyone? I'm not at all upset with anyone who doesn't post as much as they used to, or moved on entirely -- just a curiosity on my part!
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

ChrisOH wrote:It seems like we have maybe a dozen or less now who post with any regularity.
Not quite a dozen... but a considerable few. Enough to be noticeable, let's say.
Why do you think there are less active members now than in the past...
I suspect that the 4chan raids discouraged a lot of former members from posting on this forum regularly. There was quite an extensive campaign waged against this site by the Channers. Fat Man was subjected to a lot of harassment and people even posted his personal information on a website for all to see, and I had people trying to hack my email account, posting abusive messages on my YouTube channel and trying to find out my personal info as well. I probably got it second-worst off the Channers - I saw a few threads in which they considered switching their main target from Fat Man to me. However, it didn't stop me from posting on here, and Fat Man never severed his ties from this site either. It looks as though a fair few members of this forum couldn't take the heat, though, so they left the kitchen...
and where did all the past members go?
I suspect they "went" nowhere as such. They're probably doing the exact same things in life now as they were when they were regulars here. They just left. Don't worry, I doubt we'll be seeing them all on a sports forum backstabbing on us. :D
Was there some sort of argument among members that caused many to leave...
Since you come to mention it, there was an argument involving that Andy guy which split the forum into two ideological camps - those who liked him, and those who disliked him. I believe that drove somewhat of a wedge between members of this forum, and the 4chan raids shortly afterwards pretty much finished off their involvement with the site. Yes, it's all coming together now. Shame, really. The Andy issue happened a few days before I registered for a profile on these forums, so I didn't really have much involvement in it, but I can understand how it may have made a few members feel like this forum wasn't really serving much of a purpose as an anti-sports forum. Nonetheless, things would be even more dull if we just agreed with each other on every single issue.
or was it a more mundane reason, such as job and family responsibilities, other interests and hobbies, etc., just not allowing as much time to visit the site or post?
Possibly. I've heard reasons like jobs and schoolwork mentioned as well. Who knows? The only people that truly know are the former members themselves.
I tend to post more, it seems, in the Off-Topic or Forum Games than I used to...
So do I. I guess there just isn't so much debate going on now, really, seeing as how we're either getting one day wonders like daves336 not really sticking round long enough to give much discussion (I think I was the only member on here who actually interacted with him - I think he was a Brit like I am), or just one post wonders who post once and go forever, so you can only really respond once to them and never get an answer. I think that about 75% of my last 100 or so posts have been in the Forum Games or Off-Topic sections.
But I realize there's only so many times one can talk about, "I'm so sick of seeing basketball on TV", and then one they've "vented", they may just move on to other things.
You're right. I completely avoid sports on TV - the main contact I have with sports is through the news and the boring chatter of people at work, so only really when something major happens in the sporting world do I feel the need to mention it on this forum and vent about it.

(Oh, and I do believe this is my post #1980 - let the 80's begin!)

Best regards,
i_like_1981

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I'm going to be away for the next few days until I get home on Sunday from my friend's cottage.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

To my fellow SportsSuck members:

In recent days and weeks, several situations have developed:

1) I am starting a part-time job tomorrow. Not as good as full-time, of course, but after being mostly unemployed for two years-plus, I will take what I can get at this point, as it appears to be a position with a company that promotes from within and is doing well in their industry.

2) There are some ongoing family health issues, which, while not life-threatening, still must be dealt with, and will require quite a bit of hospital and doctors' visits in the coming months.

3) From those I sent my draft article to (and thank you to those on this forum who read and offered feedback -- it was much appreciated!), I have received good reviews, so I have some longer writing projects I would like to pursue. Maybe I will make some money at it eventually, maybe not -- but at least I will know I made the effort.

4) This ties in with all of the above -- I realized the other day while reading the Fat Man vs. Fit Man thread, that after only being away a day, it took me nearly an hour to read all the postings. I'm not being critical of those who participated in that thread, but personally, I just don't have the mental energy to keep up with this sort of thing anymore. (See points 1 through 3.)

For these reasons, I likely will not be posting much on here for some time. I may still post in the Forum Games section sometimes, as I find these to be fun and interesting seeing the different ideas people come up with. I've not decided about this yet; it seems some of those thread have been taken over by arguments, or no longer active.

In any event, please feel free to email or PM me at any time -- I'll do my best to answer. I just ask that I not be involved in the politics of the forum or asked to take sides.

I'll also log in from time to time to see if there are any new members, how the regular members are doing, etc.

Thanks, everyone, for your anticipated understanding and please realize my decrease in posting is not due to any specific person on the forum, lest any rumors be started.

Take care,

-ChrisOH
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

You take care, too, Chris. Good luck with the writing and health-related stuff, and congratulations on the part-time job.

--RF
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Upon re-reading a post I made today, I was a little disappointed with the quality.

There was a lack of clarity to it.

I meant to share what I thought was a funny story about how a Christian news service recently got really enthusiastic about using "good science" to defend its position on an issue (circumcision of all things). But the whole post came across as incoherent when I read it. So I deleted it.

The fact is, I've been very busy recently with other stuff, and so the quality of my posts -- the coherence of the ideas therein and the overall exposition -- has fallen off, because I've been thinking about a million other things.

Expect me to post somewhat less often, but don't worry, it's not because of anything related to the site. I'm just really busy.

I'll probably still post in the Games forum, but that's about it for at least a month. Other than that I have to focus on work-related things in my own life.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Good luck to you, recovering_fan. I wish you success in all your endeavors.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related