Queensland schools dropping PE?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Sporthater2000

Queensland schools dropping PE?

Post by Sporthater2000 »

So today I was reading the Sunday paper. I found an interesting article, it was called Brisbane schools dropping PE from curriculum? I just thought I'd tell ya that let's hope Sports only PE get eliminated for good! Any country anywhere! BAD NEWS! My mum threw out the paper so i can't scan it so you'll just have to wait for it to come on the site

Signed

Sporthater2000

"hating sports and it's fans forever :D"
Last edited by Sporthater2000 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

Sporthater2000

"hating sport and its fans FOREVER! :D"
Earl

Re: Queensland schools dropping PE?

Post by Earl »

Hi, sporthater2000. It's me again. (If you haven't read it already, read my first post, which I submitted after your first one.)

You've raised an issue that is close to my heart, as the regular members already know so boringly well; and that is the issue of mandatory "sports only" P.E. Let me say without further delay that I am not speaking from the standpoint of a sedentary guy. For several years I've been working with a succession of personal trainers on a bodybuilding program at a local health club. (Each of the previous trainers are young guys who had to quit for one reason or another. In other words, I've had nothing to do with it.) I love bodybuilding! It's funny; but at the age of 61, I'm more muscular than I ever was when I was a teenager or a young man.

I'm adamantly opposed to mandatory "sports only" P.E. There is absolutely no justification for forcing nonathletic boys who have no interest in sports to participate in competitive team games. No justification at all. Teamwork can be learned elsewhere. A guy doesn't have to participate in sports to achieve a high level of physical fitness. In fact, no single sport exercises all the muscles of the body. Then there's the problem that some sports definitely have a high health risk from serious injuries. Regarding the false claim that sport prepares boys for war, that is what boot camp is for. The claim is made that boys need to learn how to compete; that's like saying people need to learn how to breathe. Some claim that nonathletic boys have no courage. Again, that is demonstrably false. There have been men of great courage who were never interested in sports when they were boys. (I could give examples.) And then there's the claim that boys who don't like sports are "fags." Well, the truth is that homosexual men have always participated in rough contact sports, including football. (Again, I could give examples.)

What mandatory "sports only" P.E. does do is to frequently subject nonathletic boys to bullying, often of the physical sort. They learn only to fear coaches and athlete classmates and end up being adverse to any kind of physical activity, such as an exercise program, that would be to their benefit.

In the United States there is a movement to reform mandatory P.E. with genuine fitness classes that would benefit all students instead of just a select few. The "sports only" approach of the old P.E. clearly eliminated any concern for the health and fitness of those students who were the most in need. When I was a boy, the claim was made by the boneheaded adult policymakers that all students were required to take P.E. in order to promote their health. That claim was a rotten, hypocritical lie. Their real reason was to promote sports, and their real goal was to field a winning football or basketball team. This cherished [sarcasm intended] goal could have been accomplished without forcing all students to take P.E. As it turned out, the nonathletic boys would have been better off if they had not been forced to take P.E.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Sporthater2000

Post by Sporthater2000 »

Well in austrailia it's sports only PE so there's no point having it. but I still believe being atleast healthy enough to go on in life. So I meant sports only PE.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Sporthater2000 wrote:Well in austrailia it's sports only PE so there's no point having it. but I still believe being atleast healthy enough to go on in life. So I meant sports only PE.
The only time I ever took a PE course that I actually liked was when I was going to college back in the 1970s at NMSU, New Mexico State University, and it was weight training. I liked pumping iron, and I was able to work at my own pace, and didn't have to compete against anyone, but could work on my own self improvement instead.

I was majoring in Physics and Astronomy, and one particular semester I had a lot of math courses, so I took a couple of easy-ass PE courses which didn't require homework so I could concentrate more on my math homework. I took weight training and golf for PE. But, I sucked at golf! Oh well!

So, I had three years of college, but unfortunately I never completed my degree.

I personally knew Dr. Clyde Tombaugh, the astronomer who had discovered the planet Pluto (now classified as a dwarf planet) back in the 1930s.

I notice you're from Australia, known as the land down under.

I was wondering . . . Down there in Australia, do you refer to the USA as the land up over?

Just kidding around!!!

Anyway . . .

Welcome to our our anti-sports forum.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

A belated welcome from me also, SportsHater! (been a little busy lately so just got around to posting a greeting!) :mrgreen:
Sporthater2000

Post by Sporthater2000 »

ChrisOH wrote:A belated welcome from me also, SportsHater! (been a little busy lately so just got around to posting a greeting!) :mrgreen:
I'm glad to be part of this forum.
Signed

Sporthater2000

"hating sport and its fans FOREVER! :D"