Sports in the way of learning

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

Sports in the way of learning

Post by Canadian_Hockey_Hater »

random thing i thought you would find humorous so i'll post it... I was doing a research project and hade to look up this guy in the encyclopedia, so i grabbed the correct letter and sat down and started flipping, unfortunatly for me the guys last name starts with b, so as i was searching i found pages of baseball, i tryed to flip past them, there were pages and pages of wasted space for just baseball! it was such a pain! so i finally got through the seeminly never ending pages of baseball, only the have a higher amount of pages wasted for basketball! it was such a pain! and after searching trying to find between baseball and basketball, i finally found him... inbetween... he had about 3 paragraphs, while 2 of the stupidest things in the world (sports) hade more pages then anyone can count! it struck me as odd that even in books that are too advanced for jocks to read, sports ruin it and waste time! how does this make sense? out of curiousity i looked up some provinces, and they had maybe 8 or 10 pages, and yet baseball hade atleast 3 times as much as that alone! seriously... am i the only one that finds this retarded? i hope not... it just doesn't make sense to me, there is so much more the say about an entire province then there is about a pointless sport!
Sports contribute nothing to society. They are a waste of time, money, effort and TV channels! It's just a bunch of buffed up, fat headed, idiotic jocks chasing a ball around.

If cheerleading were any easier... It would be called football!
blackdog4444

Re: Sports in the way of learning

Post by blackdog4444 »

Yeah that is really retarded, not to mention annoying! I was looking up an opera director (I think, I don't remember) and there was millions and millions of pages on football and all that junk! It took me forever just to look up the person! He only had like 4 paragraphs about him so I ended up doing a bad job on the project.
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Why do they need that many pages to talk about baseball? "Some caveman named Org hits a rock with a stick and invents baseball. Then it evolved into a bunch of guys standing around and scratching their privates, and eventually one guy throws a ball at a guy with a bat, who tries to hit it, and if he does, a bunch of guys run around in a circle."

You don't need a bunch of pages for that. :mrgreen:
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Exactly! I don't know why Brittanica wasted their time, resources, and money trying to put such trash into a book that's supposed to be filled with USEFULL information! A historical musician is much more important than someone who hits balls with a stick all day long.
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

I've got a bit of a theory that the obsession of the masses with sport is largely media driven. The media loves sport because it sells. There's buckets of money to be made from sport. Perhaps whoever publishes those encyclopedias also puts out specific sports publications, and so is just getting in a bit of sneaky cross promotion? I wonder who the publishers of those encyclopedias are? Who's on the board of directors of that company? What other business interests do they have? I love a good conspiracy theory!
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Well, Britannica has its own site, so you can figure it out yourself if you really want. I do agree that Britannica only added the sports articles for profit from the publishers. Greedy bastards...
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

sports=Apart of american and world history thus in encyclopedias

BTW, what makes an Opera director more relevant than a sport?

And why is any historical musician more important than a great athlete?

You guys generalize sports as much as humanly possible, then you make everything else so much more complex.

"A great world class athlete is much more important than some guy who played music for a living."

I just generalized music, making it seem irrelevant while making athletes out to be a great thing.

You guys do the same thing, just the other way around.

Sports and music are both forms of entertainment. None is more important than the other, it just depends on what you like.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:sports=Apart of american and world history thus in encyclopedias

BTW, what makes an Opera director more relevant than a sport?

And why is any historical musician more important than a great athlete?

You guys generalize sports as much as humanly possible, then you make everything else so much more complex.

"A great world class athlete is much more important than some guy who played music for a living."

I just generalized music, making it seem irrelevant while making athletes out to be a great thing.

You guys do the same thing, just the other way around.

Sports and music are both forms of entertainment. None is more important than the other, it just depends on what you like.
Oh yeah?

When was the last time your favorite television show was pre-empted for a Schubert's Unfinished Symphony?

When was the last time you have to deal with pushy, rude, ignorant gorilla's yelling obscenities, painting their faces and starting fights between the Picasso "team" and Michelangelo "team" at the art museum?

When was the last time that someone tried pushing Beethoven on you and started name calling if you didn't like classical music?

When was the last time line formed around the block, like people were there to witness the second coming, to see Michelangelo's David?

When was the last time you got naked with other men, not in a locker room, but your shower at home?

When was the last time some gay...er, guy... patted your ass for good luck when you went to the grocery store?

SPORTS ARE USELESS!!!
You might be a sports fan/jerk if...
You've ever started a sentence with "Buddy of mine..." or "I got a buddy..."
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Classical Music is not apart of American society today, and that's a fact. Maybe 150-200 years ago, but not anymore. 150-200 years ago, things were a lot more relaxed, people were much more conservative than they are today.

You using classical music to make a point about culture today is moot because classical music is irrelevant in todays society.

You guys claim to be open minded about everything yet you're so homophobic about everything in sports. Seems like some insecure, hypocritical people to me.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Here's a few more:

When was the last time throwing a ball cured a disease or fed the homeless?

When was the last time being able to play A GAME, constructed a building or launched the space shuttle?

When was the last time a the works of Charles Dickens, John Steinbeck or Ernest Hemmingway or even the Bible more read than Sports Illustrated?

When was the last time a student graduated just because he got good grades in all his classes BESIDES gym?
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Classical Music is not apart of American society today, and that's a fact. Maybe 150-200 years ago, but not anymore. 150-200 years ago, things were a lot more relaxed, people were much more conservative than they are today.

You using classical music to make a point about culture today is moot because classical music is irrelevant in todays society.

You guys claim to be open minded about everything yet you're so homophobic about everything in sports. Seems like some insecure, hypocritical people to me.
Ok, well then when was the last time you had a thought of your own other than what society dictates?

When was the last time you did something besides what the majority was doing?
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Classical Music is not apart of American society today, and that's a fact. Maybe 150-200 years ago, but not anymore. 150-200 years ago, things were a lot more relaxed, people were much more conservative than they are today.

Oh and BTW, how can we be "homophobic" about something that sports fans swear up and down isn't gay? Unless of course we were right all along.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

When was the last time a sports fan could rattle off a simple algebraic math problem instead of sports statistics?

When was the last time a sports fan didn't feel the need push sports on others, in the hopes of "converting" us like it's some kind of religion, when there's plenty of sports websites they can post messages on?
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

more stupid questions...ill answer your post anyway.

1.Im not sure the relevance of the question. Did composers or artwork feed the homeless? I didn't think so. I do know tons of athletes do food drives all the time for less fortunate people.

2.I'm pretty sure there's a few buildings made for sports, and a few buildings where sports related business goes on in. No they didn't build the buildings, construction workers did, because that is their job. Should construction workers get a bunch of coverage? No, being able to play a game doesn't launch a space shuttle. Again, your point is irrelevant here. Does writing a book launch a space shuttle? Does art launch a space shuttle? Does composers old work launch space shuttles?

3.All those guys wrote great old books. With technology today, books just don't get as much interest all the time. Don't blame that on sports. Sports Illustrated isn't what it was in the 60s/70s when it first came out either.

4.What are you talking about? I see plenty of athletically challenged kids graduate. Fortunately, they go through gym and don't whine about sweating a little bit every now and then.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Fitz301 wrote:

Ok, well then when was the last time you had a thought of your own other than what society dictates?

When was the last time you did something besides what the majority was doing?
I like sports so im going with the majority? I've loved sports ever since i was about 5.

To answer your question though, while I like rap and a lot of current music, I like a lot of old music most people don't like.