I hate sports in school...

This forum is dedicated to expressing how much football and soccer suck!
blackdog4444

Re: I hate sports in school...

Post by blackdog4444 »

Ray wrote:
mvol5974 wrote:I hate sports in school for a few different reasons. First, in most schools if you don't follow the school teams and live for the sporting events you are deemed an outcast which is absurd. You are going to outcast someone because they don't hold an interest in the same thing you do?
I agree. There is nothing more surreal than school hallways being crowded with people all dressed in yellow and purple. And all of them staring at you because you're not <gasp> wearing yellow OR purple! Rebel!
Which leads to my situation in my time in Iowa. Yes, I know excersize is good for you and YES I know sports is a great source of excersize, but I should have a choice of whether to play sports and get my nerves frayed or be able to just do simple weight lifting. Besides - it's not like I have the lungs to finish a shuttle run test or the upper body strength to do a set shot and amaze a crowd. And if they truely cared about children's needs in P.E. in school I think they would've done something other than just throw em into a brawl of balls and rowdy people regardless of if they had any type of uncommon disability like that eye defect Greencom has. Worse yet, if you don't like sports you're burdened with bullying which makes the stay in a school you barely know or is always been on the edge of your comfort zone, it just makes it that more stressful.

I'm still amazed by the fact I haven't found any gray hairs on me from my time in that middle school. I'm still also surprised that they haven't changed the damn P.E. class one bit.

And to imagine that I'm going to high school - which is always twice as bad as its accompanying middle school. But to my relief I'm not going to stay there a whole school year - just a month. After that I'll be back in familiar quarters. I'll finally be able to get things done without the worry of a whole group of practical strangers bearing down on you with all this bull about the school sports team while you're trying to mind your own business and do your work in peace.
Ex fan

Post by Ex fan »

Blackdog, I was pretty neutral about sports in junior school- it was OK, not brilliant- but when I moved up to secondary school in England I began to openly hate school games. The main reason being a bullying jerk of a games teacher who, instead of encouraging kids who had no aptitude at sport, decided the best way was to hit them and intimidate them. No wonder some kids came out of school hating sport if this is the attitude of the teacher. I really think if a kid has no aptitude or interest in games, same as some kids have no interest or talent for languages, they should be allowed to drop it as generally speaking all that happens is the non sporting kid refuses to take part and is really wasting the games department's time. Fortunately most schools in England have adopted a policy now where kids with no interest in games can either do something like yoga, which does benefit their health, or sit in a quiet room and do schoolwork.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

I hated sports in school as well. Every bloody PE lesson I had would always be geared towards satisfying the competitive urges of the top athletes who happened to be rather unpleasant fellows. At least a rather large proportion of them were. There was very little to encourage the physical development of less-athletic people like me. I was regularly attacked and abused by the arseholes in my PE classes who just couldn't be satisfied at having every PE lesson set to their interests and wishes. No, they had to go round demoralising and denigrating all of the people who didn't share their enthusiasm for the games, and it would often be done through the medium of physical violence. If they're not going to bother reforming this bullshit, which hasn't been properly done here in England yet as of now, then they should bloody well drop the name "Physical Education" and change it to "Sport". If I'm supposed to believe that being forced to embarrass myself in front of a load of bullying, spiteful goons is classed as "Education", then they obviously have a real difficulty understanding the true meanings of that word.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Ex fan

Post by Ex fan »

Stuff like yoga, tai chi, pilates is far better for your health and makes you a better person than some idiot whose life revolves round the next game and who probably last kicked or threw a ball donkeys years ago, yet believes that because they like football( US and UK) variety/rugby league/ basketball etc, they are somehow morally superior to anyone who doesn't enjoy their sport. Hell I used to go up and down mountains in 84 degrees of heat and humidity and became very fit by it, but never saw the need to take part in some shitty team sport because it was more popular or to fit in.
Yeah I got blinded by the need to conform and showed an interest in football to fit in, but realised that it was a complete bore and I really gained as much satisfaction from paying over the odds to sit in a stadium as I would in watching paint dry. Now liberating myself from this weekend ritual and finding a girlfriend is so much better.