Another year

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Moviemaker

Re: Another year

Post by Moviemaker »

Replying to Detroitsportsfan08 post:You talk as if sports fans think sports are life or death. They are simply a means of entertainment, and something you can enjoy and not think about lifes' problems. Doesn't mean sports fans don't get it. Most presidents are sports fans. You "get it" more so than them?

DetroitSports fan, i am not referring to the casual watcher or participater who merely sees sports as a form of entertainment. I would beg to differ on sports being a form of entertainment, but thats another argument. . Perhaps i should have made it more clear that i was referrring to the sports sheep, which constitutes the majority of sports fans.
The ones that would neglect their wife all week for fantasy football, and would rather yell like animals for no reason with their friends, instead o f spend time with their girlfriend
Know that every time i post here, you can rest assured im talking about the sports SHEEP. Even i have watched a football game here and there.

What do i mean by sports sheep?
Example: Youre a Michigander, right?
Try going to a wedding in Michigan if a Red Wing game is on. Most of the sport sheep would rather gather around a television and watch the game, than participate in the bride and grooms special day that they have worked so hard for. Is this act of ignorant selfishness "mere entertainment"? I dont think so. Its idiotic. Period. That
is a perfect example of what i mean by "not getting it". ie, Not getting the more important things in life. i.e, a WEDDING.
And if "most Presidents" would do something like that, as most sports sheep would do,
then YES.. i DO "get it" more than those presidents. Hows that grab ya?
I do somehow doubt that a president would do that. Most presidents of this country can/could distinguish utter nonsense, with important events.
I wasnt born yesterday , partner. I know that too many sports fans (who i would call sports sheep) do not see sports as "just entertainment", or a "way to escape lifes problems", no in fact, It takes away from their friends and family.. which would be a little more understandable if they were actually accomplishing something worthwhile. I think you know that. Thank you kindly for responding to my post.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:
Ray wrote:yeah.. <sigh> what can you do? Some people are just too dense to realize that they're offensive to everyone around them.

offensive? It's an f'ing football game :lol: Clearly, the guy who turned it on assumed that moviemaker was like the MAJORITY of people who liked sports.

To me, it's clearly an exhibition of rudeness. Typical.

I Hope We Lose!
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

Moviemaker wrote:Replying to Detroitsportsfan08 post:You talk as if sports fans think sports are life or death. They are simply a means of entertainment, and something you can enjoy and not think about lifes' problems. Doesn't mean sports fans don't get it. Most presidents are sports fans. You "get it" more so than them?

DetroitSports fan, i am not referring to the casual watcher or participater who merely sees sports as a form of entertainment. I would beg to differ on sports being a form of entertainment, but thats another argument. . Perhaps i should have made it more clear that i was referrring to the sports sheep, which constitutes the majority of sports fans.
The ones that would neglect their wife all week for fantasy football, and would rather yell like animals for no reason with their friends, instead o f spend time with their girlfriend
Know that every time i post here, you can rest assured im talking about the sports SHEEP. Even i have watched a football game here and there.

What do i mean by sports sheep?
Example: Youre a Michigander, right?
Try going to a wedding in Michigan if a Red Wing game is on. Most of the sport sheep would rather gather around a television and watch the game, than participate in the bride and grooms special day that they have worked so hard for. Is this act of ignorant selfishness "mere entertainment"? I dont think so. Its idiotic. Period. That
is a perfect example of what i mean by "not getting it". ie, Not getting the more important things in life. i.e, a WEDDING.
And if "most Presidents" would do something like that, as most sports sheep would do,
then YES.. i DO "get it" more than those presidents. Hows that grab ya?
I do somehow doubt that a president would do that. Most presidents of this country can/could distinguish utter nonsense, with important events.
I wasnt born yesterday , partner. I know that too many sports fans (who i would call sports sheep) do not see sports as "just entertainment", or a "way to escape lifes problems", no in fact, It takes away from their friends and family.. which would be a little more understandable if they were actually accomplishing something worthwhile. I think you know that. Thank you kindly for responding to my post.

First, I don't think anyone thinks that sports are life or death. Even the biggest sports fans, like myself, are able to distinguish that there are things that are more important.

Secondly, I don't think anyones neglects their wife for fantasy football. Sure, there's people who use it as an escape, but usually not for a long time. If it is for a long time, that marriage was doomed anyway.

As far as guys going to watch a game with friends instead of spending time with their significant other, that's just as much for hanging out with the guys as it is for watching the game. When you have a girlfriend, sometimes you need time with your friends.

And you've mention this Red Wings/Wedding thing a couple times now, I'm assuming this happened when the Wings were in the Stanley Cup. I don't know when these people were watching it, but if it was during the reception, that's more than ok.

And your sports fans that hurt their friends and families by doing so, I don't know what you're talking about. Those cases are probably one in a million. I know many, many sports fans and they are fine.
Moviemaker

Post by Moviemaker »

First, I don't think anyone thinks that sports are life or death. Even the biggest sports fans, like myself, are able to distinguish that there are things that are more important.

This is a direct contradiction to your later statement in this post in which you say it is more than okay to watch a red wing game playoff during a wedding reception. This would indicate to me that, although you make a good attempt at downplaying how important sports are to you, sports remain more important to you than really important things like, someone elses wedding reception. . This would indicate to me that you are a typical sports fan. You are perfectly willing to selfishly indulge in your (meaningless) pleasures when you are supposed to be there for someone else. In essence, it is now YOUR day, and not THEIRS. NOW we are at the root of why i despise sports. Because of THIS exact mentality it brings out in people. I am a filmmaker. If the biggest stars came to the reception, if they premiered the biggest movie ever to be made at the reception, i would NOT "indulge" in that during a reception. Instead, i would remain in the party. That is why the bride and groom invited me.

Secondly, I don't think anyones neglects their wife for fantasy football. Sure, there's people who use it as an escape, but usually not for a long time. If it is for a long time, that marriage was doomed anyway.

Perhaps not for fantasy football per se, but for sports in general which may include that, yes. There are MANY people who do that. It doesnt necessarily end in divorce. Sometimes the woman thinks that ALL men are like that and just settles , even though she is miserable. OR, she likes sports herself, wich is even worse! :)

As far as guys going to watch a game with friends instead of spending time with their significant other, that's just as much for hanging out with the guys as it is for watching the game. When you have a girlfriend, sometimes you need time with your friends.

I almost would have believed you felt that way , until your comment about the wedding reception.

And you've mention this Red Wings/Wedding thing a couple times now, I'm assuming this happened when the Wings were in the Stanley Cup. I don't know when these people were watching it, but if it was during the reception, that's more than ok.

Ive already commented on this.

And your sports fans that hurt their friends and families by doing so, I don't know what you're talking about. Those cases are probably one in a million. I know many, many sports fans and they are fine.

You dont know because you are not paying attention. Im not saying EVERY sports fan directly hurts their family or friends. Some sports fans are married to like minded drones. And that would make it perfectly fine in their little world. When it becomes troublesome is when they go OUT into the world, ie, a wedding or whatever. Or DONT go out into the world at all because they are too lost in their own world.

At any rate, thank you kindly for responding to my post.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

About the reception, after the bride and groom are introduced and everything it's mostly a lot of just hanging out, drinking, etc. I see no reason why it's bad to go watch a big game in that situation.

Not talking about the actual wedding, but the reception.
Moviemaker

Post by Moviemaker »

Hi Detroitsportsfan..

Well, actually its not just "hanging out", although that is part of it, and especially later in the night. But there are significant, memorable,( and expensive) events that take place at the reception. The point is the day is supposed to be about the bride and groom, NOT a sporting event, a sports hero, or anyone else in the room for that matter. At the risk of sounding sappy, those are moments to be cherished and shared, not moments to be wasted huddled around a meaningless game with a meaningless outcome, and more often than not, animalistic sounds radiating from the area of interest.

I can tell you this, if someone , or anyone was that disrespectful at my wedding, or a loved ones wedding, they would hear it from me. And we probably wouldnt be friends very long.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Certain things do happen at wedding receptions. Cutting of the cake, bride and groom being introduced, as well as a lot more. I would agree that while these events are taking place it may be a bit disrespectful to go off and watch sports. However, when nothing is going on besides people socializing, which is most of the time anyway, I see nothing wrong with watching sports. Usually, there are plenty of sports fans at a wedding to begin with, so a lot of socializing is going on between people at the wedding there. And, odds are, the groom is going to have at least some interest in sports, so he probably won't care anyway.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Ray wrote:
Yes! I feel superior too! One of my favorite books is the Fountain Head by Ayn Rand. In it, the hero, Howard Roark, goes through his life as an idealist. He refuses to conform to the popular opinion of the day or go along with the crowd just to be popular and accepted. He steadfastly clings to his principles throughout his life even though it costs him dearly. He is shunned by society. But in the end, it pays off. He is recognized as the true genius he really is --finally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountainhead

III am like Howard Roark. A visionary, able to discern truth and beauty and recognize the dull, ignorant thudding of sports as the stain on the human soul it really is.
Wow, the first time I've been inspired by a book. :shock:
Sounds somewhat like me except I enforce anti-conformity strongly. I usually contradict idiotic ranting and meaningless nonsense with utterly disastrous results for the other side. That's then I get persecuted for my beliefs and, hence, have to then keep saving my own hide via mental war. It's only when I proceed to show my unbelievable intelligence in my classes when they are awe inspired and don't fight with me for a while until I provoke them again, but then the cycle starts all over.
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Certain things do happen at wedding receptions. Cutting of the cake, bride and groom being introduced, as well as a lot more. I would agree that while these events are taking place it may be a bit disrespectful to go off and watch sports. However, when nothing is going on besides people socializing, which is most of the time anyway, I see nothing wrong with watching sports. Usually, there are plenty of sports fans at a wedding to begin with, so a lot of socializing is going on between people at the wedding there. And, odds are, the groom is going to have at least some interest in sports, so he probably won't care anyway.
He would care if it was his "buddy", the best man, that decided to kick it and go watch sports instead of getting a formal introduction to the wife. Weddings are supposed to be mainly socializing but it's also something that everyone can look back on and smile about when they are feeling down [see where I'm getting at?]. Though I'm not the one to speak positively about weddings and such... :roll:
Exactly how would you feel if your best man or any other important person just left YOUR wedding to watch a football game? Upset because when you look back on the occasion your friend wasn't there? Happy because you can finally say "good riddance"?
Yes, receptions do make up most of the wedding, but that doesn't mean it's something to be underminded. What if the bride and groom wanted your to meet family members and other important friends, but you decided "no way" and withdrawled from the event to watch sports? I think they'd be quite disappointed and might have a little talk with you once they track you down.

Stop contradicting yourself and mending our arguements so that they don't hurt your views of sports. Though at this point in time, I think your emotions [ego] are now none of our immediate concern.
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Obviously people don't just leave the reception, there's usually a TV or two there.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

I don't think you're gonna be able to reach him, FoxWolf. He is too far gone. I admire your dedication to those less intelligent though. You're an inspiration to us all. :)

I Hope We Lose!
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Less intelligent? How so? Because I like sports?

You talk about sports fans as if they're arrogant, close-minded, and rude. Yet I see statements like people who watch sports are dumb. Do you realize how simple minded that is? Sports fans do in fact do other things besides watch sports. Some of the smartest people are usually almost always sports fans. I'd be interested to hear what you guys do for a living, that puts you so far above sports fans.

To me, you guys are nothing but a bunch of insecure people who for the most part didn't fit in the sports crowd in high school, and are now mad. I know this because in a different thread a bunch of you spoke about how much you hated high school. That tells me right there. See, I don't just spew off random things when I have no idea what I'm talking about, like many of you on here.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Only insecure people seek to be in the crowd, dumbass.

Fitz301 :twisted:
You might be a sports fan/jerk if...
You've ever started a sentence with "Buddy of mine..." or "I got a buddy..."
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Not a lot of people "seek" to be in the crowd. It usually just happens. It obviously didn't for you guys, and that's why you're so bitter.

Either way, there's plenty of insecure people both ways, so it doesn't matter.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Not a lot of people "seek" to be in the crowd. It usually just happens. It obviously didn't for you guys, and that's why you're so bitter.

blah blah blah bla blah bla h blah blah blah blah

gosh -you go on and on and on and on about something you claim is unimportant and minor. sports are as necessary for you as air. admit it, weakling!

BTW, I'm an atomic engineer and have twelve degrees and speak 17 languages fluently!

I Hope We Lose!
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Ray wrote:
Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:Not a lot of people "seek" to be in the crowd. It usually just happens. It obviously didn't for you guys, and that's why you're so bitter.

blah blah blah bla blah bla h blah blah blah blah

gosh -you go on and on and on and on about something you claim is unimportant and minor. sports are as necessary for you as air. admit it, weakling!

BTW, I'm an atomic engineer and have twelve degrees and speak 17 languages fluently!
Lol, you could start arguing in a different language then he'll try to google what you're saying and fail miserably.
Damn, I wish I took french or Japanese class more seriously. Jk :lol:
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D