Voice of a reasonable sports fan

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
xray

Re: Voice of a reasonable sports fan

Post by xray »

There is no such thing as a reasonable sports fan!!
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Detroitsportsfan how have you been old buddy, old friend? :lol: I was wondering if you finally given up on coming here and wasting time our time or decided to make a new account to hide yourself. :D I was wrong on both accounts or was I...?
xray wrote:There is no such thing as a reasonable sports fan!!
Well said comrade, well said.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

It's been pretty quiet in here.

Am I going to talk to myself?
lmc850
Sports Bore

Post by lmc850 »

xray wrote:There is no such thing as a reasonable sports fan!!
Barack Obama?
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Detroitsportsfan08 wrote:It's been pretty quiet in here.

Am I going to talk to myself?
That never stopped you before eh? :D

Lol, Barrack Obama?
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

You never know. We may drive Detroitsportsfan so mad he may just start talking to self.
Oh by the way, how's your new friend, Fred, doing, Detroitsportsfan? :lol:
Detroitsportsfan08
Sports Bore

Post by Detroitsportsfan08 »

lol, you guys should be the ones that are mad.

Super Bowl gets enormous ratings, stadiums are paid for, sports is a HUGE part of American pop culture.

Things are good for me as far as the subject of this forum goes.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

It's only popular because have you seen the s*** on TV? Have you seen how "smart" people are now, on average? Sports is the only thing their feeble minds can grasp. All because the better television channels got a reputation for being for the nerds in which many dislike greatly. Now stadiums and communities everywhere are starting to report neanderthols wandering around [hopefully you got that point]. You can even ask my school's counselor. She could even say I have intelligence that everyone else she's seen seems to lack and other mental capabilities she's also never seen. Thing is, I'm the only sports hater in my own school, hence, I'm the least idiotic and the most focused on work than "da awesum game dats happenin after skool". If we have only so few geniuses left out there [only a few examples to name is Ray, Skul, Indurrago, me, xray, etc.], then what the hell is this country going to boil down to? What's going to happen when someone decides that work is for dorks and says that being truant is cool? Indeed, total disaster is immenant with stupidity spawned by brain-rotting pop culture. Hopefully that day will never come and everyone starts cleaning their acts up and getting busy on the problems at hand. Maybe then, sports might take a kick right in the back of the head? Who knows, but for frick's sake, many hope that happens.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

If it's any consolation, Blackdog, there are more of us that don't care about sports than most people think. Only 70% of the population watched the superbowl (despite the continuous press coverage) and half of them, 54%, tuned in just for the commercials. It was just the hype that interested them -not the game. There IS hope for the human race. But we have to keep the pressure on the sports fans to save ourselves from certain destruction!

MY SOURCE:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Super Bowl ads remain a big draw for viewers, with over 54 percent of U.S. adults who expect to watch Super Bowl XLIII planning to tune in as much or more for the commercials as for the game. According to the latest Hanon McKendry poll conducted by Harris Interactive(R), 72 percent of U.S. adults plan to watch Super Bowl XLIII, up from 68 percent in 2008, with 34 percent of those anticipated viewers watching equally for the ads as for the game and 21 percent tuning in exclusively or predominantly for the commercials.

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent. ... 917&EDATE=

I Hope We Lose!
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Indeed, that is a light bulb for us! Now let's keep up our dogged [lol] determination and make them crack like nine tailed whips.
That is quite the good news that the ads are what keep people watching sports, not sports itself. That certainly means that many of the people that watch the "super bowl" are most likley just bored sports haters or neutrals. Hopefully, that is mostly true, but I can't guarantee that. Never consider anything impossible though! :D
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

Imc, I apologize for my comrades. They can be pretty brutal. Having gotten dissed and bitch slapped in an argument in another forum recently (I was complaining about part of Starcraft, not sports) I know how it feels. However, unless you can come up with a better argument to counter their stadium idea, I'd suggest disengaging them.

Oh sweet, post number 100! YEAH!
lmc850
Sports Bore

Post by lmc850 »

natmanhan wrote:Imc, I apologize for my comrades. They can be pretty brutal. Having gotten dissed and bitch slapped in an argument in another forum recently (I was complaining about part of Starcraft, not sports) I know how it feels. However, unless you can come up with a better argument to counter their stadium idea, I'd suggest disengaging them.

Oh sweet, post number 100! YEAH!
Thanks natmanhan, though I'm really not bothered by being called a sheepor conformist. And there really hasn't been a counter to the my stadium argument, that stadiums are constructions funded almost entirly by individual buisinessmen and any net gains/losses of the organization are the gains and losses of the owner and no one else, as well as detroitsportsbore's argument that stadiums create countless job opportunities for the community.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

What? There's been no argument against your weak claim that stadiums pay for themselves? Are you blind or is it that you can't read? An exhaustive study was done by the Brookings Institute, an unbiased entity, on the economic impact of sports stadiums. Their findings are summarized below.

"In our forthcoming Brookings book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, we and 15 collaborators examine the local economic development argument from all angles: case studies of the effect of specific facilities, as well as comparisons among cities and even neighborhoods that have and have not sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into sports development. In every case, the conclusions are the same. A new sports facility has an extremely small (perhaps even negative) effect on overall economic activity and employment. No recent facility appears to have earned anything approaching a reasonable return on investment. No recent facility has been self-financing in terms of its impact on net tax revenues. Regardless of whether the unit of analysis is a local neighborhood, a city, or an entire metropolitan area, the economic benefits of sports facilities are de minimus.

Sports facilities attract neither tourists nor new industry. Probably the most successful export facility is Oriole Park, where about a third of the crowd at every game comes from outside the Baltimore area. (Baltimore's baseball exports are enhanced because it is 40 miles from the nation's capital, which has no major league baseball team.) Even so, the net gain to Baltimore's economy in terms of new jobs and incremental tax revenues is only about $3 million a yearâ??not much of a return on a $200 million investment."

See the complete text at the Brookings Institute website:
http://www.brookings.edu/articles/1997/ ... _noll.aspx

Sports Stadiums are always built at tax payer expense to attract big name teams. Although city leaders always claim that these professional teams will bring money to the city, they never actually do. The overall costs always outweigh any profits.

I Hope We Lose!
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

That gets me thinking [god I sound like a philosopher]. Why exactly would a governor build something that does that damage for no reason? Why exactly would they need to waste the space in the first place? Why couldn't have they invested in something more useful such as supporting special classes or programs for schools? If anyone could have thought these exact questions in the first place, then we'd have answers. But since no one has asked these questions, there ARE NO ANSWERS. Thus, the sports lovers, the beasts they are, have further been attached and brainwashed by their brain rotting form of entertainment and now can't be reversed unless someone could put such terms and information into words they can wrap their heads around and analyze. Simply enough, there's got to be a way in which such sensible people such as us [except for the Sports Bores] could gather answers.
Since none of us can't just go out and ask a governor for these answers, we will find a way definitely to obtain one and quite possibly the rest. So far, the best we could do is gather some kind of outter support from non-forum members in the general public...
:idea: We must get this to the public somehow, any appropriate way possible!
Well I did get this site linked to a couple of major sites, Quibblo and Piczo, but that isn't going to cut it. We've got to gain ground!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Ah, they'll do anything to appease the masses. More votes that way.

blackdog4444 wrote:That gets me thinking [god I sound like a philosopher].
That may be so, but...
blackdog4444 wrote:We've got to gain ground!
...this makes you sound like an army commander. :lol:
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!