I WANT TO KILL SPAMMERS!!!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

I WANT TO KILL SPAMMERS!!!

Post by Fat Man »

I'm getting so sick and tired of our newest forum topics getting pushed down down down toward the bottom of the page.

This forum is dying because of the SPAM!!!

If I ever knew somebody in my neighborhood who was a spammer, I would kick in his door, come after him with a hatchet, smash his computer, and chop him up into little pieces and scatter the bloody pieces out in his front yard for everybody to see!

And I would do it in front of his Mama with his Mama lookin' on!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

dannj

Re: I WANT TO KILL SPAMMERS!!!

Post by dannj »

This is what I've been noticing! Let me know when you want to go after the spammer Fat Man, I'll be glad to go with you.! ! ! ! :x
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

dannj wrote:This is what I've been noticing! Let me know when you want to go after the spammer Fat Man, I'll be glad to go with you.! ! ! ! :x
Yeah! That sounds like fun!

Shall we use hatchets or should we just nail these spammers up-side-down on telephone poles and cut their throats?

How about if we nail them up-side-down on a shit-house door, and set the shit-house on fire!

I'm open for more suggestions!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

dannj

Post by dannj »

Fat Man wrote:
dannj wrote:This is what I've been noticing! Let me know when you want to go after the spammer Fat Man, I'll be glad to go with you.! ! ! ! :x

Shall we use hatchets or should we just nail these spammers up-side-down on telephone poles and cut their throats?

How about if we nail them up-side-down on a shit-house door, and set the shit-house on fire!

Guns, knives, what the hell, anything and eveything..
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

dannj wrote:
Fat Man wrote:

Guns, knives, what the hell, anything and eveything..
How about 2 by 4s with long 10 penny nails in them!

Better yet, we cut off their balls first and make then squeal, and then, to take their minds off the pain, we kill 'em!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Better yet, force 'em all to watch nothing but ESPN. :wink:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
dannj

Post by dannj »

Earl wrote:Better yet, force 'em all to watch nothing but ESPN. :wink:
Now that would be the ultimate punishment. How about the 'Golf' channel, 24/7 with them strapped down and eyes glued open...

Earl, I think I did the quote thing okay this time, but it don't work for me every time...later...
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

I'm sorry, I'm trying to report them all, but sometimes I just don't feel like it and don't do it. There are just too damn many. I report some only to have more show up. Sometimes it just seems pointless. :(
Yes, it really is JUST A GAME.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Hi, abitagirl! :) You don't need to report any of the spammers. Actually, it is pointless for you to do that. You're just wasting your energy. Please don't feel that you're under any obligation to report spam. Usually, the first thing I do when I come to this forum is to see if there's any spam and delete it. So, even if you don't report any of the spammers, all of their spam will eventually be deleted by me or Skul. I have no idea why we've been receiving so much spam of late. It used to not be this bad. I'd appreciate an answer from Ray or Skul as to why we receive so much spam, because I certainly don't have an answer. I get tired of having to clean up after these jerks and ban them. In the meantime, please don't be discouraged. Just ignore the spam, and please don't be discouraged to the point of giving up on this forum. Our active fellow members being as few as they are, we need all the members we can get.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I'm not sure if it would be possible for Skul or Ray to do this, but I think it would be a good idea to add something to the registration process that asks something along the lines of "Why do you want to join this site?". New supporters of this site will just have to briefly state that they want to participate in this forum because they generally agree with the message of the site, and honest critics of this site will only have to say that they disagree with something on this site and would like to share their views. Trolls would either pretend to be merely a civil critic or even a supporter, or they might rarely admit that they want to troll, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem because we don't have a major problem with trolls on this site at the moment, and they can even be entertaining as long as we can ban them when it goes to far and they aren't coming to this site at a high frequency. But it is unlikely many spammers would be able to get through such a simple security feature because based on their posts, they don't familiarize themselves with the motive of this site at all, and they would not be able to make a coherent statement as to why they wish to join the site. Thus supporters can still join the site, critics can still join, and even the occasional entertaining troll can still join, but the spammers can't.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
dannj

Post by dannj »

It took me 6 or 7 tries to join this forum and I'm not a spammer. The code that you put in last, the one that you can refresh, I though was very strict. It surprised me to see that the spammers could get on here that easy.
I have sent Skul a message telling him this so it don't end up discouraging any good prospective members.
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Earl wrote:I'd appreciate an answer from Ray or Skul as to why we receive so much spam, because I certainly don't have an answer.
The security protocols on this version of the forum are out of date. I'm sure the programmers who created the phpBB system have upgraded it. The last time we were swamped with spam was because we didn't update the board. As soon as we did, it was all back to normal. The problem is, only Ray can update the board, and he isn't doing it this time. I told him before there's a new version, but he didn't upgrade...

Well, I've enabled a group called "Newly Registered Users". Users with eleven posts or less (usually the maximum spammers do) will automatically be put into this group. They'll only have limited access to the board and won't be able to use signatures. For some odd reason, there's no option to stop them from using URLs, which would be extremely useful.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Thanks Skul, let's hope this does something to deter spam from this site. In fact, I'd like to thank both you and Earl for deleting all of the spam that's been posted here for quite a while. It can be frustrating enough just to see the forum filled with spam, but you guys have taken an even greater responsibility in actually deleting all of the spam that has been posted, so if spam gets posted here, at least it doesn't remain here for long. If it weren't for that, this forum would be just filled with spam, and it is likely that the majority of the topics on here would be spam, making it much more difficult to find older threads.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

OK, there's a new weird thing going on here.

On the Index page I see a yellow folder for Off-Topic indicating that there are some unread posts.

But then I go to the Off-Topic page I see no yellow folder, so I have read the topics.

Why does the Index page show a yellow folder when there are no yellow folders on this page.

Something is screwed up here.

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Fat Man wrote:OK, there's a new weird thing going on here.

On the Index page I see a yellow folder for Off-Topic indicating that there are some unread posts.

But then I go to the Off-Topic page I see no yellow folder, so I have read the topics.

Why does the Index page show a yellow folder when there are no yellow folders on this page.

Something is screwed up here.
I'm getting the same thing.

Post 700!