Is sporthate for males?

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Pinksporthate

Is sporthate for males?

Post by Pinksporthate »

Are there more male than female who hate sports?
I have look around this forum and i see more males.
And in my Facebook group i see more males.

42 members now in my swedish sporthate clube. :D
ChrisOH

Re: Is sporthate for males?

Post by ChrisOH »

PinkSportsHate:

I would guess that as sports have traditionally been a "male" thing, that many women are simply indifferent to sports (as my wife is), since their lack of interest would not likely cause them to be social outcasts. A man who doesn't watch sports, at least in America, is much more likely to be seen as "wimpy", "geeky", or various other pejoratives -- so perhaps non-sports-loving males may have a greater incentive to be angry at the stereotype.
Pinksporthate

Post by Pinksporthate »

How many are males in this forum?
Earl

Post by Earl »

I'm being called away from the family PC for a few hours. I'll be back later this afternoon, when I'll have time to respond to your topic. Please bear with me. I do have some comments I'd like to post.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Pinksporthate

Post by Pinksporthate »

Earl wrote:I'm being called away from the family PC for a few hours. I'll be back later this afternoon, when I'll have time to respond to your topic. Please bear with me. I do have some comments I'd like to post.
I have patience with you, and i wait for you to replay my topic. I wait with suspense. :o :?: :mrgreen:
Earl

Post by Earl »

By the way, I never did introduce myself. Welcome to the forum, Pinksporthate. :)
Pinksporthate wrote:How many are males in this forum?

Forum activity is at an all-time low. Currently, if I have counted correctly, there are six currently active male members who post regularly to a greater or lesser degree of frequency; and there is a single female member. One of the male members is a sports fan; but he's reasonable and tolerant and, in my estimation, is a decent kid.
Pinksporthate wrote:Are there more male than female who hate sports? I have look around this forum and i see more males. And in my Facebook group i see more males. 42 members now in my swedish sporthate clube. :D

ChrisOH wrote:PinkSportsHate: I would guess that as sports have traditionally been a "male" thing, that many women are simply indifferent to sports (as my wife is), since their lack of interest would not likely cause them to be social outcasts. A man who doesn't watch sports, at least in America, is much more likely to be seen as "wimpy", "geeky", or various other pejoratives -- so perhaps non-sports-loving males may have a greater incentive to be angry at the stereotype.

There very well may be more males who hate sports than there are females. Really, it's hard to say. It is true that there are many females who are sports fans.

I prefer to not say that I hate sports, since I have a "live and let live" attitude. What I object to are the coercive aspects of the sports culture and other excesses as well. I happen to be a "baby boomer," as I'm currently 61 years of age. The mandatory boys' P.E. of my generation forced nonathletic boys to participate in competitive team sports while often not even providing any instruction about the sports themselves. What they did not provide was exercise programs for the nonathletes. The claim was made by policymakers at the time that P.E. must be mandatory to encourage the nonathletic students to become physically active. This was nothing more and nothing less than a hypocritical lie. :evil: Nonathletic boys, who were often subjected to bullying or other forms of humiliation, were actually discouraged from becoming physically active. Today in the United States there is a movement to reform mandatory P.E., but its success is not guaranteed.

The sports culture undeniably denigrates nonathletic boys and subjects them to demeaning stereotypes, often before they even reach their teens. This negative stereotyping is based upon lies. The claim is made that participating in sports is necessary to learn how to work in a team, but that can be done in any number of other activities. The claim is made that sports prepare boys for war, but that is what boot camp is for. The claim is made that sports teach boys how to be competitive, but that's like saying that one has to be taught how to breathe. And the claim is made that boys who have no interest in sports should be suspected of having homosexual tendencies, despite the fact that homosexual men have always participated in competitive sports (including football).

Here's a picture of Brian Sims, a former college football player. He was one of the most valuable players on his team.

Here's a picture of Esera Tuaolo, a former NFL football player who once played in a Super Bowl game.

Guess what? They're both gay. And there are other football players who won't come out of the closet because they fear the repercussions (due to the macho image of the sport, which many of the fans and boosters insist upon upholding).

(Read it and weep, Samdaman :x .)

I, my wife, and our younger daughter are celebrating our older daughter's birthday this evening; so, I'm going to have to bring this post to a close. But I still have more to say; so, hopefully, I'll have time to post again later tonight. If not, then I'll post tomorrow.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

To answer the original question.

I think that we don't need to concern ourselves that much about gender lines when it comes to this topic. Abuse doesn't have gender lines, so neither should we. ;)
Ex fan

Post by Ex fan »

In Britain 40 pc of men don't like football and around 75 pc of women have no interest, although the percentage of female fans have soared in recent decades due to football being considered an in thing to like and a WAG being something to aspire to ( partner of a premiership football). Sports like rugby have a fair size female following, due to the players being fanciable to a certain type of woman in the same way cheerleaders like jocks in America, although the main sports here for women to like tend to be tennis, gymnastics and showjumping due to the fact they are non confrontational and have large numbers of female participants. It is still far more common among women to have absolutely no sporting interest than men.
However, that 40 pc figure shows that a very large minority of men don't like football, which attracts the most boring, bigoted and fanatical supporters, who often tend to loathe other sports as much as they don't like non fans.