Texas Governor Rick Perry Says "Galileo Was Out-voted"!!!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Texas Governor Rick Perry Says "Galileo Was Out-voted"!!!

Post by Fat Man »

Well, actually, Texas Governor Rick Perry's exact words were "Galileo got out-voted for a spell" which is typical redneck jargon!

Yeah! For a spell.

Here is a brief little article at:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/62947.html

Perry says Galileo 'got outvoted' too
By MAGGIE HABERMAN | 9/7/11 9:41 PM EDT Updated: 9/7/11 9:46 PM EDT

Rick Perry just gave a bit of a rambling answer on climate change, saying, "Well I do agree that the science is not settled on this. The idea that we would put America's economy at jeopardy based on ... science that's not settled yet. ... Galileo got outvoted for a spell."

He added, "asking us to cut back in areas that would have monstrous economic impact on our country is not good economics, and I would argue not good science."

This was probably Perry's weakest moment so far.
And it gets even better!

Here's another article from The Daily Intel at New York News & Features.
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/09/ri ... rming.html

9/8/11 at 12:28 PM
Rick Perryâ??s Galileo Analogy
Was Embarrassingly Flawed

By Dan Amira

You knew that at some point last night, the moderators at the Republican debate were going to bring up some of the recent scientific controversies that have so appalled the East Coast media elite. Disappointingly, they didn't force the candidates to declare whether or not they believe in evolution. But they did put Rick Perry, the race's most prominent anti-science candidate, on the spot over his insistence that man-made climate change was merely a hoax. How could he be so skeptical when the vast majority of scientists, experts who know a hell of a lot more about the subject than he does, insist that it's real? Perry's response was unexpected, counter-productive, and frankly embarrassing.

At least he knows who Galileo was.

Well, I do agree that there is â?? the science is â?? is not settled on this. The idea that we would put Americans' economy at â?? at â?? at jeopardy based on scientific theory that's not settled yet, to me, is just â?? is nonsense. I mean, it â?? I mean â?? and I tell somebody, I said, just because you have a group of scientists that have stood up and said here is the fact, Galileo got outvoted for a spell.

Galileo, of course, was punished for supporting the Copernican view of the heliocentric universe â?? not very popular at the time â?? and his theory was eventually vindicated. So, Perry argues, who can say whether the tiny minority of scientists who refute the idea of man-made climate change won't be vindicated as well?

There is a parallel between Galileo and the debate over climate change, but it's not the one Perry intended to make. Galileo's groundbreaking scientific findings were not "outvoted" by other scientists, but by the clergy and the Vatican, who based their astronomical theories on the rigorous scientific tome known as the Bible. What the Galileo example really demonstrates is that ideology has been used as a weapon and shield against actual empirical evidence for hundreds of years. And it continues to this day, courtesy of political leaders like Pope Perry.
And finally, and article from the New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/scien ... lileo.html
Image - - - - Environment

Divining Perryâ??s Meaning on Galileo Remark
By HENRY FOUNTAIN
Published: September 8, 2011

In one of the more curious moments in the Republican debate on Wednesday night, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas invoked 17th-century science in discussing his doubts about climate change. He cited the astronomer and mathematician Galileo Galilei â?? often called the father of modern science â?? in suggesting that the current thinking that climate change is a result of human activity could be overturned. â??Galileo got outvoted for a spell,â? he said.

Mr. Perry, by contrast, has said repeatedly that he does not believe the empirical evidence compiled by scientists in support of climate change, but that he does adhere to faith-based principles.

Was Mr. Perry trying to depict Galileo as a maverick among scientific thinkers of his time? If so, the governor was wrong, says one historian who has studied the trial of Galileo.

â??If Perry means to say that at some point some body of scientists said Galileo was wrong, that didnâ??t happen,â? said the historian, Thomas F. Mayer, who teaches at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill.

Galileo and Copernicus were long ago proved right, but even in Galileoâ??s day there were scientists who supported him, Dr. Mayer said. â??His notions about science were not that far out there,â? he said. â??There were a lot of other scientists, especially in Rome, who more or less agreed with his scientific observations.â?

Perhaps, then, Mr. Perry was referring to the churchâ??s trial of Galileo on charges of heresy, in 1633, in which the astronomer was convicted and sentenced to house arrest. In that case he was â??outvotedâ? not by other scientists but by church leaders.

Asked about Mr. Perryâ??s remark, Mark Miner, a spokesman for the Perry campaign, said, â??The governor was referring to vetting policies before implementing ideas that will result in job losses.â? Mr. Miner did not elaborate.

The 1633 trial was not really about science, many historians say. It was about Galileoâ??s disobeying a 1616 order to abandon Copernican views.

â??It was almost like a contempt of court,â? said Mario Biagioli, a professor of law and science and technology studies at the University of California at Davis. Dr. Biagioli said there was some validity to the comparison. â??Theology at the time was the powerful discipline, and Galileo went up against it and was condemned,â? he said. â??Now the powerful discipline is science and not theology.â?

But the comparison is also flawed, Dr. Biagioli said. â??Galileo was not a doubter. He said, â??Look, this is the evidence I have,â?? â? he said. â??It was the theologians who were saying, â??No, no, no, this evidence is inconclusive.â?? â?
Well, I think we've all had enough poop from Pope Perry enough to last a lifetime!

No, it was not a situation where some gentlemen were gathered around the table engaging in a scholarly debate between those who held to the Catholic Church doctrine of the Geocentric Cosmos and Galileo who put forth his theory of the Heliocentric Cosmos, and then, all saying "OK. Let's put it to a vote" whereby Galileo was out-voted.

NO! NO! NO! AND AGAIN, NO!

Galileo was summoned to appear before the church authorities.

They didn't vote on shit!

No, instead, Galileo was charged with heresy, interrogated for many long hours, and although he was not tortured, they did bring forth the instruments of torture which were placed on display before him, and he was threatened with the possibility of torture.

After having been interrogated, he broke down, and recanted his theories of the Sun centered cosmos. He was a beaten and broken man, too old and frail to fight any longer, and slowly going blind.

Here's a brief paragraph from a rather long article at:
http://www.slideshare.net/aephixus/gali ... im-stanley
GALILEO WAS CALLED TO THE CONVENT of Minerva by a little phalanx of Dominicans who showed up at his dormitory. The black-and-white Dogs of God looked as grim as executioners. Before leaving his chamber, they gave him the white robe of the penitent to put on over his own clothing. Nothing of his own could appear outside the robe, they said; and he had to be bareheaded. So it was time for the sentence. They surrounded him wordlessly then, and led him on the short walk to the room of judgment.
So, while Galileo was not held in a jail cell awaiting his trial, he was actually kept in a comfortable room and his meals were brought to him.

Earlier this year, I had posted in another topic titled . . . . .

The Story of Galileo Galilei - Re-enactment By Teenagers
http://www.sportssuck.org/phpbb2/viewto ... f=7&t=4821

There were about four videos made by high school kids.

But toward the bottom of the page I had posted two more YouTube links.

The two videos were a really serious re-enactment of the trial of Galileo made by more professional actors.

Galileo (part I)

and

Galileo (part 2)
--------------------------------------------------
Uploaded by pangeaprogress | April 24, 2009

The Catholic Church, which was very powerful and influential in Galileo's day, strongly supported the theory of a geocentric, or Earth-centered, universe. After Galileo began publishing papers about his astronomy discoveries and his belief in a heliocentric, or Sun-centered, Universe, he was called to Rome to answer charges brought against him by the Inquisition (the legal body of the Catholic Church). Early in 1616, Galileo was accused of being a heretic, a person who opposed Church teachings. Heresy was a crime for which people were sometimes sentenced to death. Galileo was cleared of charges of heresy, but was told that he should no longer publicly state his belief that Earth moved around the Sun. Galileo continued his study of astronomy and became more and more convinced that all planets revolved around the Sun. In 1632, he published a book that stated, among other things, that the heliocentric theory of Copernicus was correct. Galileo was once again called before the Inquisition and this time was found guilty of heresy. Galileo was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1633. Because of his age and poor health, he was allowed to serve his imprisonment under house arrest. Galileo died on January 8, 1642.
--------------------------------------------------

The two videos were a very professionally done re-enactment of the trial of Galileo.

In the video, it depicted Galileo being held at the Convent of Minerva. While he was in his bed room, he had to strip down to his under garments before donning the white robe of The Penitent, which he had to wear while facing his accusers in the courtroom.

Before his accusers, he lay prostrate, face down on the floor, wearing the white robe of The Penitent, recanting all he has said and wrote about his Sun centered cosmos, and literally begged for mercy.

When I was watching these videos, I actually broke down and cried.

Of course, the guy in the video was merely an actor playing the part of Galileo, but the re-enactment was so well done it felt real enough to bring tears to my eyes. Just watching those two videos was a very emotional experience for me.

I would say, that all that was depicted, was probably how it actually all came down.

Well, a few weeks ago, I tried to watch those two videos again, and they were both taken down from YouTube, and the when I tried to find the YouTube channel by pangeaprogress it was also taken down.

When I clicked on the video links all I saw was . . . . .
"Galileo (p..."
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

Prestonwood Christian Academy

Sorry about that.
I copied and pasted that to my notepad.

Then, I did a Google search for Prestonwood Christian Academy.

Here's what I found!
Yeah! Uh huh! That's to be expected!

Some more Christard cry baby, bed-wetting ignoramuses in shitty diapers, all crying boo hoo because they were oh so offended by a couple of videos depicting the trial of Galileo by the Catholic Church, and The Holy Office of The Inquisition.

So, in addition to having the two video taken down by filing some phony DMCA claims against them, not being satisfied with just that, they also had to get the guys channel shut down as well.

Yeah! Really nice! Eh?

OK, now I tried to click on the two video links again as I was posting this topic.

This is what I saw . . . .
"Galileo (p..."
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.
Sorry about that.
So, this time, there is no mention of the Prestonwood Christian Academy.

There's probably a cover-up of some sort going on! I smell a rat in the wood-works!

Well, all I say is . . . . .

FUCK ALL YOUR RIGHT-WING CHRISTARD FUNNY-MENTALIST AND REPUBLICAN RAT BASTARDS!

I WILL GO TO MY GRAVE HATING ALL OF YOU!!!

Because of all you redneck donkey-fucking shit-kickers, America is no longer a free country.

Well, this is the sort of thing one can expect in a country where an innocent kid in the 5th grade can get his head bashed up against a concrete block wall by a sports obsessed teacher who won't allow him to check out Astronomy books from the school library.

So, when I wanted to check out books, I went to the public library instead.

I was only about 10 years old when I read a lot of books on The Inquisition. I have made it my personal life's study, so I actually know a Hell of a lot more about Astronomy, about Galileo, and The Inquisition, than all those drooling Republican morons in Washington DC who are running this country into the ground.

They don't know shit, yet they are making all the big bucks.

And I'm living in poverty.

Those ignorant fucks in the Republican party, are the ones who should be living in the streets, eating out of dumpsters, and sleeping on park benches.

I should be owning them, and telling them what to do!

Fuck this shit!

I'm outta here!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!