The "I will be away for a while" thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: The "I will be away for a while" thread

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I think I'm going to take a short break from this site due to recent developments here. I really can't stand watching Fit Man and Fat Man argue because neither of them are helping to produce civil discussion (no offense to either of you, but it is true. Fat Man uses plenty of personal attacks and Fit Man thinks he can be less than civil because Fat Man also acts that way). Again, I don't mean to personally attack either of you, I'm just saying that it's becoming stressful for me to read all of it and I'm going to let you guys handle it while I'm gone.

Then, on top of this, members have been taking offense from the constant religious comments from Fat Man. One member left the site because of this, and Earl has recently (understandably) become frustrated with them. I don't like the comments from any members of this site on historical tyrants' religious beliefs. There have been bad rulers who were strongly religious, and there have been bad rulers who were not religious. But people need to realize that there will always be people who abuse power, whether there is religion or not. So recent comments blaming the Holocaust on Catholicism and blaming atheism for the mass murders in communist regimes, both sides of the argument bother me. I don't take any personal offense from the comments against religion as I'm not religious myself, but I find them annoying when they are used so much, and when other members begin to take offense from them. If it belongs anywhere, it belongs in the off topic section, in a thread with a religious topic. That way people can avoid it if they want to. There's nothing wrong with religious discussion, but only when everyone is civil and willing to participate. Not when people who don't want to hear about it are endlessly subjected to religious insults.

So for these reasons, I plan to leave the site for a short amount of time. In the topic where all of this has unfolded, I planned on making a post addressing these problems, thinking I had some power to magically solve all of the sites problems and end the conflicts. But I realized that I really don't, and all I would be doing would be subjecting myself to more stress by getting more involved with the situation, and I'd be adding just one more post from someone who is convinced they are right like nearly everyone seems to be in this whole mess. As you can see, this situation has frustrated me and I find it stressful. I've got a few tests coming up and projects due, so that's only going to add up the stress in the approaching days, so it's best I don't combine that with the stress from this site. There's nothing wrong with some disagreement on the site, but this is a little too much for me at the moment.

I don't know how long I intend on leaving the site, but if I had to give an estimate, I'd guess a week. I may come back sooner. I may come back a bit later. I can assure you all that I will come back though, I'm not leaving permanently. I know the site doesn't have many active members right now and we need all the activity we can get, but a lot of people are posting right now because of this ordeal anyway, so I'm not concerned that my departure is going to be that noticeable. I think I'll just read any posts on the forum that were made before I posted this, and then I'll sign out, and catch up with the forum when I return. If necessary, I can still be contacted through PM as I'll receive an email when I receive them, but I'd prefer not to be informed about any developments on the site while I'm gone unless there's some totally important happening on the forum (although I can't imagine what that could be, this is just a small forum on the Internet), or if the conflicts on the site have settled down. Sorry for leaving such a long post about something as insignificant as leaving the site for a short amount of time, but I wanted to share my thoughts about what's occurring on this site before I left.

(Read this in a Schwarzenegger voice) I'll be back.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:I don't know how long I intend on leaving the site, but if I had to give an estimate, I'd guess a week. I may come back sooner. I may come back a bit later.
Well, that's sad news, but I can understand how you'd be so fed up with the fitty-fatty feud.

I hardly read any of the details of posts by either of them any more.
Repetitive and depressing.
I can assure you all that I will come back though, I'm not leaving permanently....
We'll look forward to your return.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

recovering_fan wrote:
HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:I don't know how long I intend on leaving the site, but if I had to give an estimate, I'd guess a week. I may come back sooner. I may come back a bit later.
Well, that's sad news, but I can understand how you'd be so fed up with the fitty-fatty feud.

I hardly read any of the details of posts by either of them any more.
Repetitive and depressing.
I can assure you all that I will come back though, I'm not leaving permanently....
We'll look forward to your return.
Well, this battle between Fit Shit and I, it all started a couple of months ago, when Fit Shit registered to be a forum member, and the first thing he does is devote a new topic to me and before knowing any of the facts of my circumstances, he calls me a DISGRACE TO HUMANITY!

I wish Fit Shit would die!

I hope he dies in a car crash!

I wish him a happy crash and burn!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Fat Man wrote: Well, this battle between Fit Shit and I, it all started a couple of months ago, when Fit Shit registered to be a forum member, and the first thing he does is devote a new topic to me and before knowing any of the facts of my circumstances, he calls me a DISGRACE TO HUMANITY!
Yep, you've made your point. I get it. (In fact, the infuriating way you were getting harassed at that time is what brought me back to the site; I just couldn't bear to sit there and watch that happening.)

But whenever you fight back against Fit Man, you end up inflicting a lot of collateral damage on third parties -- like Christians, for example -- who have absolutely nothing to do with Fit Man or his excesses.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

I have returned.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

Welcome back. :) (I appreciate a calmer voice. :wink: )
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

This warning should have been posted at the beginning of December:

"I will be away for the next 2 weeks, because homelessness has cut down on my Internet access."

Anyway, I'm back. How y'all doin'? :D
HugeFanOfBadReligion

recovering_fan wrote:This warning should have been posted at the beginning of December:

"I will be away for the next 2 weeks, because homelessness has cut down on my Internet access."

Anyway, I'm back. How y'all doin'? :D
Welcome back RF! I don't know if the homelessness problem you referred to is ongoing now that you've returned, but if it is, I wish you luck in the future with it. The forum has been fairly quiet lately, but hopefully it'll recover in time.

recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

It's ongoing, so I won't be posting too often.

Fortunately, though, I live in a city that coddles the homeless, so it's rather a lot like camp. :)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

recovering_fan wrote:It's ongoing, so I won't be posting too often.

Fortunately, though, I live in a city that coddles the homeless, so it's rather a lot like camp. :)
I hope you find a place to stay soon. Especially during the winter months.

Nobody should be homeless.

Oh wait! I have said that moronic Republicans that are anti-science, and idiots like Bill O'Reily on FOX NEWS, and football players, should be sleeping on park benches and eating out of dumpsters.

But no human being should ever have to be homeless.

I'm just glad that you say the homeless aren't mistreated in your city.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!