Even in Christmas week

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Ex fan

Even in Christmas week

Post by Ex fan »

I fancy a quiet few pints on a weekday night to wind down for the Christmas weekend in my local pub. However, being one that decides to subscribe to Sky Sports( the second nearest one does as well), for the next three nights there is a live game at 8.00. FFS a lot of people who aren't football( soccer) fans will have three televisions churning out this junk from 7.30 to 10.00 and as one of the games is quite important locally, there will be the usual sack of bores and fanatics droning on about a bunch of overpaid men in shorts as if it's the biggest deal in life. I was rather looking forward to a peaceful drink with Christmas songs playing on the CD player, but the socceristas are in charge and dissenters will find another reason to avoid our declining suburban pub industry.
Fact- over half the population don't like this game so why do some pubs see the need to ram it down people's throats who don't like it and then wonder where all their trade has gone.
Agent 47

Re: Even in Christmas week

Post by Agent 47 »

Well over here, the day after Xmas heralds the start of the traditional Boxing Day Cricket Test Match Series, and what a long dreary event that is to endure. The telecast of a day's play goes for an agonisingly dull eight hours. The game is so long that the players have to stop for several meal breaks during a day's play, and the game is so tedious that at some point even the commentators have no choice but to resort to talking about the seagulls out in the middle of the field.

And that's just the first day of the Test - each one of these Tests is five friggin' days long. And that's only the first five day Test. After the first five day Test, they have a couple of days break, and then they go at it again for ANOTHER five day Test. So as I write this, they've been at it since the day after Xmas, and they've only just finished the second five day Test. But that's not all. There's more. They're only HALF WAY done at the moment - there's still another TWO five day Tests in this game to go yet. They drag this whole thing out for a month or so. This one game goes on longer than the Olympics.

And you can't go anywhere during this period of national fixation on such commercially orchestrated pointlessness without some half-brained mong sportsfan having a TV or radio up so loud that all normal human activity is disrupted in some way. Apparently it has to be at full volume for some reason. There is no escape. It's everywhere. It's madness I tell you.

The traditional Boxing Day Cricket Test Match Series. Yeah. Merry bloody Xmas.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Ex fan

Post by Ex fan »

Agent 47 wrote:Well over here, the day after Xmas heralds the start of the traditional Boxing Day Cricket Test Match Series, and what a long dreary event that is to endure. The telecast of a day's play goes for an agonisingly dull eight hours. The game is so long that the players have to stop for several meal breaks during a day's play, and the game is so tedious that at some point even the commentators have no choice but to resort to talking about the seagulls out in the middle of the field.

And that's just the first day of the Test - each one of these Tests is five friggin' days long. And that's only the first five day Test. After the first five day Test, they have a couple of days break, and then they go at it again for ANOTHER five day Test. So as I write this, they've been at it since the day after Xmas, and they've only just finished the second five day Test. But that's not all. There's more. They're only HALF WAY done at the moment - there's still another TWO five day Tests in this game to go yet. They drag this whole thing out for a month or so. This one game goes on longer than the Olympics.

And you can't go anywhere during this period of national fixation on such commercially orchestrated pointlessness without some half-brained mong sportsfan having a TV or radio up so loud that all normal human activity is disrupted in some way. Apparently it has to be at full volume for some reason. There is no escape. It's everywhere. It's madness I tell you.

At least cricket isn't very popular in England, but bloody football is like a disease here. I really can't be bothered with bores who see every game as a matter of life and death and seem to want to tell everyone, including those who aren't interested, how important such and such game is. It's FA Cup weekend in England and I don't give a damn.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Ex fan wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:Well over here, the day after Xmas heralds the start of the traditional Boxing Day Cricket Test Match Series, and what a long dreary event that is to endure. The telecast of a day's play goes for an agonisingly dull eight hours. The game is so long that the players have to stop for several meal breaks during a day's play, and the game is so tedious that at some point even the commentators have no choice but to resort to talking about the seagulls out in the middle of the field.

At least cricket isn't very popular in England, but bloody football is like a disease here. I really can't be bothered with bores who see every game as a matter of life and death and seem to want to tell everyone, including those who aren't interested, how important such and such game is. It's FA Cup weekend in England and I don't give a damn.
Now that it's January, here in the USA we have the Stupor Bore game to look forward to.

Yeah, Super Bowl Sunday.

I'll just be watching videos on YouTube.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

Ex fan wrote:At least cricket isn't very popular in England
Really? I imagined cricket to be a very British thing. It's massive over here in summer. It's virtually compulsory to "know what the score is." They've even built bronze statues to at least two cricket players that I'm aware of - Don Bradman, and Shane Warne. Yep, they literally do idolise these guys over here.

Fat Man wrote:Now that it's January, here in the USA we have the Stupor Bore game to look forward to.
Is that thing on again? Didn't they have one already?!!!
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Fat Man wrote:I'll just be watching videos on YouTube.
Sounds like a plan! :D
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Skul wrote:
Fat Man wrote:I'll just be watching videos on YouTube.
Sounds like a plan! :D
Yeah! Perhapes you might like to check out my YouTube channel.

Big Fat Heretic

http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

I have over 160 Playlists of science videos and some political stuff.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Ex fan

Post by Ex fan »

Agent 47 wrote:
Ex fan wrote:At least cricket isn't very popular in England
Really? I imagined cricket to be a very British thing. It's massive over here in summer. It's virtually compulsory to "know what the score is." They've even built bronze statues to at least two cricket players that I'm aware of - Don Bradman, and Shane Warne. Yep, they literally do idolise these guys over here.

Fat Man wrote:Now that it's January, here in the USA we have the Stupor Bore game to look forward to.
Is that thing on again? Didn't they have one already?!!!
It's not played in Scotland and is more of a rural and middle class game in England. It's nowhere near as gross as football, though, just a rather slow and complicated game.