NOTICE! Wikipedia Will Stage 24 Hour Blackout In Protest!

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

NOTICE! Wikipedia Will Stage 24 Hour Blackout In Protest!

Post by Fat Man »

OK everybody.

The English version of Wikipedia will shut down for 24 hours in protest of SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18, 2012.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Eng ... A_blackout
English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout

To: English Wikipedia Readers and Community
From: Sue Gardner, Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director
Date: January 16, 2012

Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United Statesâ??the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECTIP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senateâ??that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia.

This will be the first time the English Wikipedia has ever staged a public protest of this nature, and itâ??s a decision that wasnâ??t lightly made. Hereâ??s how itâ??s been described by the three Wikipedia administrators who formally facilitated the communityâ??s discussion. From the public statement, signed by User: NuclearWarfare, User: Risker and User: Billinghurst:

It is the opinion of the English Wikipedia community that both of these bills, if passed, would be devastating to the free and open web.

Over the course of the past 72 hours, over 1800 Wikipedians have joined together to discuss proposed actions that the community might wish to take against SOPA and PIPA. This is by far the largest level of participation in a community discussion ever seen on Wikipedia, which illustrates the level of concern that Wikipedians feel about this proposed legislation. The overwhelming majority of participants support community action to encourage greater public action in response to these two bills. Of the proposals considered by Wikipedians, those that would result in a â??blackoutâ? of the English Wikipedia, in concert with similar blackouts on other websites opposed to SOPA and PIPA, received the strongest support.

On careful review of this discussion, the closing administrators note the broad-based support for action from Wikipedians around the world, not just from within the United States. The primary objection to a global blackout came from those who preferred that the blackout be limited to readers from the United States, with the rest of the world seeing a simple banner notice instead. We also noted that roughly 55% of those supporting a blackout preferred that it be a global one, with many pointing to concerns about similar legislation in other nations.

In making this decision, Wikipedians will be criticized for seeming to abandon neutrality to take a political position. Thatâ??s a real, legitimate issue. We want people to trust Wikipedia, not worry that it is trying to propagandize them.

But although Wikipediaâ??s articles are neutral, its existence is not. As Wikimedia Foundation board member Kat Walsh wrote on one of our mailing lists recently.

We depend on a legal infrastructure that makes it possible for us to operate. And we depend on a legal infrastructure that also allows other sites to host user-contributed material, both information and expression. For the most part, Wikimedia projects are organizing and summarizing and collecting the worldâ??s knowledge. Weâ??re putting it in context, and showing people how to make to sense of it.

But that knowledge has to be published somewhere for anyone to find and use it. Where it can be censored without due process, it hurts the speaker, the public, and Wikimedia. Where you can only speak if you have sufficient resources to fight legal challenges, or, if your views are pre-approved by someone who does, the same narrow set of ideas already popular will continue to be all anyone has meaningful access to.

The decision to shut down the English Wikipedia wasnâ??t made by me; it was made by editors, through a consensus decision-making process. But I support it.

Like Kat and the rest of the Wikimedia Foundation Board, I have increasingly begun to think of Wikipediaâ??s public voice, and the goodwill people have for Wikipedia, as a resource that wants to be used for the benefit of the public. Readers trust Wikipedia because they know that despite its faults, Wikipediaâ??s heart is in the right place. Itâ??s not aiming to monetize their eyeballs or make them believe some particular thing, or sell them a product. Wikipedia has no hidden agenda: it just wants to be helpful.

Thatâ??s less true of other sites. Most are commercially motivated: their purpose is to make money. That doesnâ??t mean they donâ??t have a desire to make the world a better placeâ??many do!â??but it does mean that their positions and actions need to be understood in the context of conflicting interests.

My hope is that when Wikipedia shuts down on January 18, people will understand that weâ??re doing it for our readers. We support everyoneâ??s right to freedom of thought and freedom of expression. We think everyone should have access to educational material on a wide range of subjects, even if they canâ??t pay for it. We believe in a free and open Internet where information can be shared without impediment. We believe that new proposed laws like SOPA â??and PIPA, and other similar laws under discussion inside and outside the United Statesâ?? donâ??t advance the interests of the general public. You can read a very good list of reasons to oppose SOPA and PIPA here, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Why is this a global action, rather than US-only? And why now, if some American legislators appear to be in tactical retreat on SOPA?

The reality is that we donâ??t think SOPA is going away, and PIPA is still quite active. Moreover, SOPA and PIPA are just indicators of a much broader problem. All around the world, weâ??re seeing the development of legislation seeking to regulate the Internet in other ways while hurting our online freedoms. Our concern extends beyond SOPA and PIPA: they are just part of the problem. We want the Internet to remain free and open, everywhere, for everyone.

On January 18, we hope youâ??ll agree with us, and will do what you can to make your own voice heard.

Sue Gardner,
Executive Director, Wikimedia Foundation
Well, Wikipedia is only going to stage a 24 hour blackout. Yes, it's going to be inconvenient, but I support the 24 hour blackout in protest against the upcoming possible legislation by the House of Representatives and the US Senate.

I'm sure it's mostly Republicans in both houses who are behind the legislation to impose censorship on the Internet.

They just can't stand the fact that ordinary citizens can have so much free access to information and knowledge. Yeah! It really sticks in their craw! Doesn't it?
We support everyoneâ??s right to freedom of thought and freedom of expression. We think everyone should have access to educational material on a wide range of subjects, even if they canâ??t pay for it.
RIGHT ON!

I remember back in the 1980s during the Reagan Administration, when there was a lot of hoo-rah on the NEWS about book censorship, and the attempts by right-wing Christian Fundamentalists to have certain books removed from school and even public libraries.

I love public libraries because they are a source of FREE information and knowledge.

I also remember asking someone back in the 1980s, a person who sympathized with the religious right "What if I want to read a certain book and it's no longer available in my local public library?" and he answered that if I wanted to read a book bad enough that I should order it and pay for it, and if a book was too expensive for me, then TOO BAD!!!

He also said, I can get free answers from the Bible!

Well, FUCK THAT!!!

I believe information and knowledge should be available FOR FREE!!!

Another thing I love about the Internet, is that, if a particular book is not available in your local public library, you can access it online, and even copy it to a CD or DVD disc for your own personal reading pleasure.

Yeah! This really pisses off the Republicans!

Way back in the 1960s when I was in the 5th grade, I got into an argument with my teacher over an Astronomy book that he would not allow me to check out from the library, and he dragged me out into the hallway, and bashed my head against the corner of the concrete block wall as he pushed me back.

Too bad there was no Internet back in those days.

Now, the Republicans want to impose censorship on the Internet.

I feel like I'm getting my head bashed against the wall again!

The Republicans fear the Internet, and they fear the science education available on the Internet, because they fear that their religion is going to die because of the Internet.

Well, the Republicans can just take a hike, go off and live in the woods somewhere, and thump their little Bibles 'til their heart's content.

FUCK 'EM!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Skul
Forum Admin

Re: NOTICE! Wikipedia Will Stage 24 Hour Blackout In Protest

Post by Skul »

I trust everybody is signing the petitions and sending e-mails to Congress, etc? If not, why not?

Maybe this will get your ass in gear -- they've already started, even though the hearing hasn't happened yet! Here's an e-mail I read from demandprogress.org this morning:
Yes, we know -- another email. But this news is urgent UNBELIEVABLE:

One day after history's largest online protest, the U.S. Government nonchalantly responds with the middle finger. The Wall Street Journal reports:

The FBI shut down Thursday one of the world's most popular file-sharing websites, MegaUpload.com, and announced the arrest of four of the people behind it in a global crackdown against the suspected online pirates.

Please click here to tell your lawmakers to cut it out: No SOPA, no PIPA, no more website seizures.

Here -- check it out: If SOPA and PIPA pass it'll just broaden the government's power to do things like this: MegaUpload.com. (And make it illegal for us to link to sites that are seized -- like we just did in the last sentence.)

As MegaUpload's website notes -- er... noted:

The fact is that the vast majority of mega's Internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay. If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue.

This is what we're up against. Please tell President Obama and your lawmakers to put an end to it. NOW.
Thanks,
Demand Progress
"the arrest of four of the people behind it"

I love how they make it sound like the creators were in some kind of dark, secret crime syndicate or something. And yes, MegaUpload.com is gone.

IF (hopefully a gigantic IF) these bills pass, I say we get people to boycott the companies that supported it. We control them, not the other way around. If we don't buy their stuff, they are worth nothing. Maybe when they see their shares dropping, they'll wake up and push to get the bill redacted. Drastic? It's better than losing something many people rely on. Not just for entertainment and information, but a lot of small businesses rely on the Internet to get started. SOPA and PIPA can just get them shut down.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Wow. We just won.

From the Associated Press:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he was postponing a test vote set for Tuesday "in light of recent events."

So, in other words, because of all of us. Absolutely amazing.

Demand Progress has been fighting this legislation for more than a year -- having grown from nothing to over one million members during that period.

Even the Motion Picture Association's Chris Dodd is awed by what just happened. Here's what he said yesterday:

â??This is altogether a new effect,â? Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing â??an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramaticallyâ? in the last four decades, he added.

Thanks so much for your work on this.

You're amazing.

-Demand Progress
Hi everyone!

A big hurrah to you!!!!! Weâ??ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes weâ??ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game. You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday. See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. â??â??This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,â?? MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. â??[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.â??â?

â??'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Tweet with us, shout on the internet with us, let's celebrate: Round of applause to the 13 million people who stood up - #PIPA and #SOPA are tabled 4 now. #13millionapplause

We're indebted to everyone who helped in the beginning of this movement -- you, and all the sites that went out on a limb to protest in November -- Boing Boing and Mozilla Foundation (and thank you Tumblr, 4chan)! And the grassroots groups -- Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Demand Progress, CDT, and many more.

#SOPA and #PIPA will likely return in some form. But when they do, we'll be ready.

We changed the game this fall, and we're not gonna stop. $8, $20, every little bit helps.
13 million strong,
Tiffiniy, Holmes, Joshua, Phil, CJ, Donny, Douglas, Nicholas, Dean, David S. and Moore... Fight for the Future!

P.S. China's internet censorship system reminds us why the fight for democratic principles is so important:

In the New Yorker: "Fittingly, perhaps, the discussion has unfolded on Weibo, the Twitter-like micro-blogging site that has a team of censors on staff to trim posts with sensitive political content. That is the arrangement that opponents of the bill have suggested would be required of American sites if they are compelled to police their usersâ?? content for copyright violations. On Weibo, joking about SOPAâ??s similarities to Chinese censorship was sensitive enough that some posts on the subject were almost certainly deleted (though it can be hard to know).
After Chinese Web users got over the strangeness of hearing Americans debate the merits of screening the Web for objectionable content, they marvelled at the American response. Commentator Liu Qingyan wrote:

â??We should learn something from the way these American Internet companies protested against SOPA and PIPA. A free and democratic society depends on every one of us caring about politics and fighting for our rights. We will not achieve it by avoiding talk about politics.â??"
SOPA was going to pass, but then it took an Internet to the knee! :mrgreen:
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Hello all!

I must admit, I'm a little confused about the SOPA legislation. I have conflicting opinions on online "piracy".

1) Some of you already know that I enjoy writing, and I've shared some of my writings with some of you. I haven't published anything for money yet, but I would like to so in the future as a way to turn a hobby into a source of some extra income, even if didn't turn out to be a full-time career. For this reason, I desire protection from plagiarism, as well as the right to disallow any of my writing to be used for a cause or in a manner of which I don't approve. (IIRC, back in the 1980's, Bruce Springsteen legally blocked the Reagan campaign from using "Born in the USA" at their rallies or in their ads, since Bruce didn't support Reagan's politics and didn't want his name or work associated with the campaign.) I would be fine with being used as a source by other writers, provided I was given proper citation and any of my material was used in context.

2) I also believe in the freedom to search for and cite information freely, on the Internet or otherwise. It would seem the SOPA bill would allow the government too broad a brush and could shut down domains that include legal, harmless, and even beneficial material because of an offending "pirate" site anywhere on the domain.

3) Music has always been a confusing subject to me when it comes to copyright law. I was told by friends in college that I could make copies of tapes and CD's (the musical media of choice back then) for my own use, but not to give to anyone else, as that would be preventing a sale by allowing a friend to have the music at hand without paying for it. But if that's the case, what if I lived with my parents, they bought a CD, and we all listened to it, together or taking turns, in the same house? Is that also stealing, since it caused two of us to not have to purchase the music? Or what about songs I hear and enjoy on the radio, in stores, etc? Am I "stealing" that music too? I always thought the general rule of thumb was, If no money is made from the music, no wrong has been done. I'm not sure if this is the correct interpretation of the law, but it was the only way it really made sense to me.

In light of all this, what do you all feel is an appropriate way to protect intellectual property from plagiarism and misuse, while also maintaining freedom of use for information and art? Any opinions and responses are appreciated! :)
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening ChrisOH:

Yes, I understand your concern.

There are better ways to deal with copyright infringement.

If an individual web site is breaking the law, then I can understand if that particular web site get shut down.

But, the SOPA and PIPA laws would not only shut down the one particular web site, but anybody else who merely linked to it would also be shut down, so if somebody on YouTube, for example: is violating copyright laws, then YouTube in its entirety could be shut down.

I use to sing at the Karaoke bars. Now let's say for example, some friends of mine record me singing a song at Karaoke, and we put it up on YouTube. That would mean that under the SOPA or PIPA laws, I could be arrested, and my YouTube channel would be shut down.

If you sing Happy Birthday in public, like in a restaurant where your having a meal, and they bring out a cake, and you sing Happy Birthday to your kid, then technically, under SOPA or PIPA you could go to jail for copyright infringement, since the song has a copyright on it.

I have heard of a case where some YouTube user had a video taken off of her channel. All she did was do a video recording of her 2 year old child playing in her crib, but the TV was on in the background, and some kind of music programming was on, but it could barely be heard, yet her video was taken down because of it.

There are many science videos on astronomy, geology, paleontology, and evolution that I have favored to over 160 Playlists on my channel. Some of the users who have uploaded their videos like to include some introductory music, but it's usually not the entire song, but only a few lines used at the beginning, and used as a closing theme at the end of the video.

If SOPA and PIPA had passed in legislation, the users who had put their videos up on YouTube could have their channels taken down, and then, they could go to jail.

Technically, if you and your friend are sitting around the campfire, and one of you whips out his guitar and starts singing popular rock songs, you all could be arrested since the songs you're singing has a copyright on them.

This is possibly what could happen if SOPA and PIPA had passed in legislation. We wouldn't be allowed to even sing anymore.

Then, life would really suck!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

SOPA and PIPA can be explained this way:

Someone in a neighbourhood robs a bank. The authorities find out who did it and where he lives. The whole neighbourhood is punished.

That's pretty much how it would work if the "logic" of SOPA was applied to other laws.
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
ChrisOH

Post by ChrisOH »

Hello Fat Man and Skul:

Thanks for the clarification -- it makes a lot more sense now (not SOPA/PIPA, but the opposition to it!)

Unfortunately, when people wonder "how do these crazy laws get passed?", I think that's how -- most people aren't interested enough to be informed, or the language of the law is deliberately misleading. :x
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Well, now that we've dealt with SOPA and PIPA, next on the agenda is ACTA. :|

ACTA is like SOPA on steroids.

After signing a petition to stop it, I got the following e-mail, which I'll paste here.
Last week, 3 million of us beat back America's attack on our Internet! --- but there is an even bigger threat out there, and our global movement for freedom online is perfectly poised to kill it for good.

ACTA - a global treaty - could allow corporations to censor the Internet. Negotiated in secret by a small number of rich countries and corporate powers, it would set up a shadowy new anti-counterfeiting body to allow private interests topolice everything that we do online and impose massive penalties -- even prison sentences -- against people they say have harmed their business.

Europe is deciding right now whether to sign ACTA -- and without them, this global attack on internet freedom will collapse. We know they have opposed ACTA before, but some members of Parliament are wavering -- let's give them the push they need to reject the treaty. Sign the petition -- we'll do a spectacular delivery in Brussels when we reach 500,000 signatures:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet/?tta

It's outrageous -- governments of four fifths of the worldâ??s people were excluded from the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) negotiations and unelected bureaucrats have worked closely with corporate lobbyists to craft new rules and a dangerously powerful enforcement regime. ACTA would initially cover the US, EU and 9 other countries, then be rolled out across the world. But if we can get the EU to say no now, the treaty will lose momentum and could stall for good.

The oppressively strict regulations could mean people everywhere are punished for simple acts such as sharing a newspaper article or uploading a video of a party where copyrighted music is played. Sold as a trade agreement to protect copyrights, ACTA could also ban lifesaving generic drugs and threaten local farmers' access to the seeds they need. And, amazingly, the ACTA committee will have carte blanche to change its own rules and sanctions with no democratic scrutiny.

Big corporate interests are pushing hard for this, but the EU Parliament stands in the way. Let's send a loud call to Parliamentarians to face down the lobbies and stand firm for Internet freedom. Sign now and send to everyone you know.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet/?tta

Last week, we saw the strength of our collective power when millions of us joined forces to stop the US from passing an Internet censorship law that would have struck at the heart of the Internet. We also showed the world how powerful our voices can be. Let's raise them again to tackle this new threat.

With hope and determination,

Dalia, Alice, Pascal, Emma, Ricken, Maria Paz and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

If You Thought SOPA Was Bad, Just Wait Until You Meet ACTA
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... meet-acta/

ACTA vs. SOPA: Five Reasons ACTA is Scarier Threat to Internet Freedom
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/286925/ ... .htm?cid=2

What's Wrong With ACTA
http://www.edri.org/edrigram/number10.1 ... -with-ACTA

The secret treaty: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) and Its Impact on Access to Medicines
http://www.msfaccess.org/content/secret ... -medicines
Get everyone you know to help stop this new threat to everything.
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!