Oh Oh! Another New Member! I See Trouble Coming!

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Oh Oh! Another New Member! I See Trouble Coming!

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:Believe it or not, Fat Man, in a sense I'll aways be your friend, even if our friendship doesn't survive. But you haven't been listening to anyone, and you've made those of us who support the concept of this website look bad! :cry:
OK, right now, my main problem is with Brigoon, more than sportslover or even Fit Man's Brother.

Hell, at least sportslover agrees with me about the whole Zimmerman thing!

If you go back to some of the earlier posts in the topic about sports nerd traitors you'll see we're beginning to patch thing up a bit.

Hopefully.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

wibberley

Post by wibberley »

:twisted: :evil: dear earl the recent post was in fact by wibberley junior.please dont be too hard on fat man both myself and my son are in hysterics over fat mans comments.i know you said there are forum rules to be observed but you said yourself that the forum is as dead as a door-nail lately(if a doornail can be considered the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade)fatman has consistently posted a high-standard of nihilistic remarks that have brought tears of laughter to both my son and myself(sadly,my daughter was watching a football match on her computer earlier this evening)
wibberley

Post by wibberley »

:roll: :lol: :shock: :mrgreen: or you could get hold of a sports fan and press his head against an electric meat-slicer and watch slices of his face curl over with every successive pass of the meat-slicer
Earl

Post by Earl »

My concern was how Fitman's Brother would feel when he saw the "Jock in the Box" image. I happen to know of at least a few guys who played football in high school who contradict the bully stereotype. They're even sensitive guys whose emotions are easily moved. That does not mean I favor preferential treatment for school athletes, because I definitely don't favor such preferential treatment. I got sick and tired of what I saw in high school. Fat Man, you said Andy's avatar to you was like waving a red flag in front of a bull (Andy wearing his football helmet). I was afraid your "Jock in the Box" image would be like waving a red flag in front of Fitman Brother's face. This made me mad, especially in light of the fact that Fitman's Brother had just made a compassionate, conciliatory appeal to you, Fat Man. I don't know what to think anymore. Perhaps I should have just waited for Fitman Brother's response. Perhaps he would have thought it was funny. I don't know.

Fat Man, I'm relieved you didn't get your feelings hurt, as that was not my intention and never would be my intention. As I've said before, we'll always be friends. I hope you noticed that even though I was sharp with you, I nonetheless was expressing a heartfelt concern for you as a friend. Friends should be able to correct the other when he gets out of line. As a matter of fact, one of my friends once did precisely that with me one time; and he was absolutely right. He was upset with me, and the reason why was because he cared about me and wanted me to act decently instead of acting like a jerk.

Wibberley, I'm delighted you've felt free to post in this forum again. I don't want anyone to leave.

I've been under a lot of stress lately. A health problem of mine has recently gotten worse, and the dear sister of a close friend of mine (a friend I've known for decades) was shot to death in her home (seemingly, at least at this point in time, a suicide, although there's no proof it was, in fact, a suicide). Perhaps I need to lay off for a while. I don't know what to do.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. To the contrary, I'm trying to be considerate of everyone's feelings, including those of Fitman's Brother.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fitman's Brother
Sports Bore

Post by Fitman's Brother »

Don't worry Earl, I'm not offended at all with what Fat Man posted. I know from both my brother and just from reading the forums that it's just in his nature to be an asshole to everybody who disagrees with him, so I know not to take it personally.
Earl

Post by Earl »

I was afraid you'd take it personally. Fat Man does seem to have made a false assumption about you in his OP.
Fitman's Brother wrote:My best friend is actually gay. It shames me that you're homophobic.
Considering the homophobic image of football, your friendshp is both remarkable and commendable. Esera Tuaolo, a homosexual man who played professional football and even once played in a Superbowl game, said he heard anti-gay slurs from his teammates all the time. At least this is what I remember reading somewhere in connection with a book he wrote about his experiences entitled Alone in the Trenches. He didn't come out of the closet until after he had retired from the NFL. When he did announce his homosexuality publicly, one of his teammates who had been a friend of his did say that although he believed homosexuality to be immoral, he still regarded Esera to be a friend (for which Esera was grateful).

Being as I'm nearly 62 years old, I had a gay friend before the gay liberation movement had even started. We were both seniors in different high schools and first met in a psychotherapy group set up by a local clinical psychologist -- who, unfortunately, turned out to be abysmally incompetent and managed to hurt instead of help me. Anyway, when this guy and I had become friends in the psychotherapy group, he had not become sexually active yet, but did so before we graduated from high school. I never looked down on him. How could I? I had my own problems. He was a very good friend at a time when I had become chronically depressed. (No, he never approached me, needless to say.) He was one of the nicest guys I ever knew. Honorable guy.

Fitman's Brother, you might appreciate this story about him: Several years after we had graduated from high school, he was working as an English instructor at a college or university for a short while. He was once assigned to tutor a group of athletes there who needed remedial assistance. He was terrified at the prospect because he was afraid they would beat him up if they found out he was gay (not that he even gave any "signs" that he was gay). Anyway, he was relieved when he later told me that he actually had become quite fond of them because they had respected him and did the homework he assigned. I didn't think to ask him, but they may have been the victims of social promotion.

He died of AIDS in 1993. :cry:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Fitman's Brother
Sports Bore

Maybe it's just that I'm from California, but anybody who is outwardly homophobic, regardless of whether or not they are an athlete, will be shunned in the same way an outward racist it. I'm a pretty young person, Earl, so I think things have changed significantly since the time you were in high school some 40 years ago or so.

Understanding that, I'm happy that the athletes respected the man, but it really doesn't surprise me in the least. People, for the most part, simply do not care about whether or not somebody is gay.

When it comes to homophobia as "sports culture" I entirely disagree. Yes, people call each other "faggots" and other things, but the TRUE meaning of words are only what you give them. So, there may actually be perceived homophobia when in reality it's not as prevalent as one may thing. Many people I've come in contact with, regardless of whether or not athletes, use the term "faggot" to mean "wimp" or anything similar.

In the end of the day, what the athlete cares about is winning. They do NOT want a "faggot" on their team, but they would would a gay guy who can kick ass and win games for them.

While I understand that this may be confusing, that the words spoken don't truly mean what most people think, it's important to understand this.
Earl

Post by Earl »

This is very interesting.

Please forgive me for writing such a long post, but I think it will help you understand why I support this website (although I don't agree with every single statement on the home page).

You and I grew up in two different societies, culturally and timewise. (Well, not knowing your exact age, I guess you're still growing up.) With the exception of only my first- and second-grade years (which were spent in New York), I grew up in the state of Texas. I guess that says it all.

I was a high-school student from the fall of 1965 through the spring of 1969, residing in a district that was extremely conservative politically. I grew up under Jim Crow, which left me as a white man with a revulsion against racism and any sort of oppression. Fortunately for me, both of my parents had rejected racism before I was even born; and they raised me in such a way that I did not adopt the racist attitudes of my peers. I once was all but an eyewitness to a particularly vicious form of racial discrimination that haunts me to this day.

There still are great differences among different localities and communities in the United States. In 1991 my sister moved from Dallas to northern California. (What a contrast!) The red state vs. blue state phenomenon is very real. Even today California and Texas, for example, are quite different culturally and politically.

I recently posted a link to a You Tube video that you may have already seen of an interview with Brian Sims, who was a gay college football player. He was accepted by his teammates because he could play football well.

When I was a boy, the social climate towards homosexual boys and men was one of intolerance. When I was in high school, anyone who was merely suspected of being gay -- by the way, as you know, homosexuals weren't called gays then -- was bullied terribly. Many of these victims of bullying weren't even gay. When I think about it today, I'm reminded of witch hunts.

Now here's where you might learn why some of us support the concept of this website -- which, as far as I'm concerned, is simply to allow individuals to sound off about the sports culture. Boys who were not interested in sports were stigmatized. All through school to my graduation from high school, I felt there was a social rift between athletic and nonathletic guys. If a boy wasn't interested in sports, he was considered to be a wimp or a sissy. Some "authorities" even today, Fitman's Brother, claim that a boy's lack of interest in sports is a sure sign of homosexual tendencies.

Several years ago a childhood friend of mine who played football in high school told me, without any prompting on my part, that most of his teammates had viewed the nonathletic guys at their school as inferior. A formerly active member of this forum who also was a high-school football player at the time he was posting (SportsGuy92) said that many of his teammates considered nonathletic guys at their school to be, to use his own word, fags.

Since I never had an interest in sports, I was subjected to that sort of negative stereotyping. And even though I never had an interest in sports, I was made to feel ashamed that I was not participating in any sport. Whenever I was in a department store and saw the Sporting Goods Department, I'd actually feel embarrassment and shame. As late as my early twenties, I was still slightly embarrassed that I had not participated in any sport until I realized that I was being illogical, since I had never had any desire to do so in the first place.

This stereotyping was accompanied by mandatory sports-only P.E. from the last two years of elementary school (which I'd call P.E. without the gym) through junior high. (Since I was a band student in high school, I was exempted from P.E. -- which was quite fortunate, as I heard tales of vicious physical bullying of nonathletic boys that was even worse than it was in junior high.) The policymakers claimed they were concerned about the students who were not physically fit, but their claim was proven to be a hypocritical lie. The class never should have been called "physical education," because there was no education. In none of my P.E. classes were we ever taught how the game of baseball or basketball or football was played. We were never shown how to properly throw a baseball or a football or how to shoot a basketball. Since I had not participated in any of those games, I knew nothing about them. Although I never had an interest in sports, I did feel ashamed of being physically weak and not having a muscular physique. But there was not even so much as any mention of exercise programs or bodybuilding in any of my P.E. classes, and all of the P.E. teachers and coaches viewed nonathletic boys with either indifference or outright contempt. Slightly built and overweight boys were often singled out for bullying. All I learned from P.E. was to fear coaches and athlete classmates.

One of the reasons why I mention this is because the "old P.E." is still a reality in many school districts, although there now is a movement to reform P.E. with innovative programs such as PE4Life that actually promote physical fitness. I get mad when I think of a new generation of nonathletic boys going through what I and others experienced. Some people need to learn from the mistakes of the past.

Nonathletic boys who are negatively stereotyped as supposedly being unmanly or unmasculine may actually internalize these attitudes, especially if they have no positive reinforcement at home.

Getting back to my situation, in the spring of my eighth-grade year in junior high, my parents started taking me to a clinical psychologist because I was being picked on at school and my grades had fallen. (Actually, the bullying was not the major cause of my misery. I had been depressed for years to the point of having no self-confidence, which is a red flag for bullies searching for the next victim).

The psychologist, who turned out to be abysmally incompetent in spite of his good reputation, decided to send me to a dojo to take judo lessons from an instructor who was not Asian, but was a white former university football player afflicted with machismo in the worst way. By the way, a martial arts expert who recently posted here briefly told me in an e-mail that judo is a very poor choice among the martial arts for slightly built boys.

I always felt like an outsider in his dojo. (What's interesting, though, is that he sometimes physically bullied the two teenage guys whose goal was to become Olympic athletes. I guess I should be thankful I was spared that sort of attention.) I felt like he was patronizing me. He promoted me to brown belt, despite the fact I was not qualified. Anyway, by the spring of my junior year, I finally got sick and tired of the charade and quit. I had expected him to protest, but I never heard from him.

Eight years later I paid him a visit at his home. I soon learned why I had felt like an outsider in his judo class. He claimed he had saved me from homosexuality! And why was that? Because he stereotyed me. The day we first met, I was an extremely shy, nonathletic boy who had no self-confidence, had no interest in sports, and was not physically aggressive since I knew the bullies were all stronger than I was. So, naturally, I just had to be gay; right? The sissy stereotype, see? This is what I'm talking about when I object to the negative stereotyping of nonathletic boys. He also said that only athletes and men in certain blue-collar vocations were "real men." He disregarded the courage of intellectual men who showed moral courage, such as the late Russian physicist and human rights activist Andrei Sakharov. He also had no moral objection to bullying. I wish I had been in the position to tell him to soak his head; but I didn't dare, because he was a violent man. Certainly the coldest guy I've ever known or met.

There have been men of great courage who never participated in sports. (Incidentally, as if I needed to tell you this, courage is not a trait restricted to men. Women have shown great courage as well.) At the risk of boring those who have read my posts over the last three years -- and they know what I'm about to say -- one of the greatest heroes of World War II was not even a soldier. He was a citizen of Sweden, which was neutral in the war. Raoul Wallenberg was managing an import-export business with a Hungarian Jew, who informed him of the desperate situation of the Jews in his own country. As a member of an influential family, Wallenberg prevailed upon Swedish government officials to send him to Budapest under diplomatic cover to conduct rescue operations to save the lives of as many people as possible. Facing down Nazi S.S. officers and Hungarian fascist thugs (the Arrow Cross movement), Wallenberg risked his life repeatedly to save others, surviving several assassination attempts. I recently read somewhere that eventually he had to sleep in a different location every night. This man of extraordinary courage saved the lives of around 10,000 Jews. When the Red Army drove the Germans out of Hungary, Wallenberg was abducted by agents of Stalin's secret police to Moscow, where he disappeared into the notorious Lubianka prison never to be seen again.

This is a man who, according to his half-sister, "detested competitive team sports" -- not meaning, of course, that he hated athletes but that he had no desire to participate in sports. I wish I had known about Wallenberg when my former judo instructor shared his prejudice against nonathletic men. Despite the fact he was a slightly built man who had a mild appearance, Wallenberg was far, far more of a man than my former judo instructor ever could have hoped to be.

I've deeply resented the culture that wrongfully defines masculinity in terms of sport. Moral courage often results in physical courage. Wallenberg once saw a defenseless group of Jews who had been rounded up by Arrow Cross men, who were about to shoot them. Although he didn't even have a firearm on his person at the time, Wallenberg rushed over to the Arrow Cross men and told them those Jews were under the protection of the Swedish government. When the Arrow Cross men said they were going to kill the Jews, Wallenberg told them they would have to shoot him first. Fortunately for Wallenberg's sake as well as the Jews, the bluff worked. But Wallenberg was willing to die for those people.

I'm not saying nonathletes are better than athletes any more than I'm saying athletes are better than nonathletes. I'm simply saying there's no correlation between athleticism or a lack of athleticism, on the one hand, and traits such as homosexuality, heterosexuality, and courage.

Actually, what I really object to is machismo (properly defined), not sports. Incidentally, you might be interested in reading InSideOut Coaching (subtitled How Sports Can Transform Lives) by Joe Ehrmann, a former NFL player who is now a minister and a volunteer high-school football coach. I'm sure it would upset my former judo instructor! :lol:

Fitman's Brother
Sports Bore

Earl: It appears to me that Texas in the 1960s and California is the Late 90s and early 2000s are extreme opposites from one another. While there are people in every group that tries to find a way to differentiate themselves from others and try to convince themselves they are superior, it doesn't seem to me it's more prevalent with the jocks. I could have unconsciously be turning a blind eye to it because I'm a jock myself, but I'd like to think I'm not.
Earl

Post by Earl »

You may be surprised to "hear" me, of all people (the currently active moderator of this forum), say this; but two of my closest friends played football in high school. I think very highly of both of them. Even though I never even learned how the game of football is played, we still have some things in common. The one younger than I is one of the deacons of my congregation, and the one older than I is a professor who earned his degree in sociology at the university where he played football. Interestingly enough, their religious views are radically different; but they agree about not looking down on nonathletic guys. They're both gentle men who find bullying to be disgusting. They both believe defining masculinity in terms of sport is ridiculous (not that they're against sports!), and they would not get along with my former judo instructor. Neither of them have a problem with the idea of a website for people to discuss (or just rant) about issues they have that are directly or indirectly connected with sports. I won't invite my younger friend the deacon to visit the forum because I know he would not appreciate all the cussing because of his religious convictions.

When I was a boy, I was physically weak and therefore felt inferior. No doubt I assumed that the athletic guys at my school viewed me the same way.

I've been pumping iron at a local health club for about four years. I've had a succession of five personal trainers, since each of the first four had to eventually quit for different reasons (such as going to law school, help out with the family business, start a business of his own). They've all been young guys in their early twenties with athletic backgrounds. Each one has been a pleasure to work with; and each one has thought highly of me, even though I don't have an athletic background. In fact, all the trainers there respect me because I work hard. None of them thought there was anything amiss about boys who had no interest in sports. I had occasion to tell my first two trainers about my former judo instructor. My first trainer was quite agitated about him, saying he should have had compassion. My second trainer just sat at his desk, shaking his head in dismay.

I've been quite amazed at the difference between my health club experience and my mandatory P.E. experience in school. Instead of having a "Lord of the Flies" atmosphere that often typified the P.E. of my generation (which, unfortunately, is still around in some school districts), my health club is like a community. I don't feel self-conscious at all when I work out, because everyone there is paying attention to his/her own exercise regimen. All sorts of people get along there.

Fitman's Brother
Sports Bore

Great to hear those your two close friends are respectful of you. I think you'd be happy to hear that such people are definitely becoming more common than ever. All of your health club trainers, who were in their 20s and were athletes themselves, show evidence of this. I think this trend will continue onward and before you know it all athletes will have respect for non athletes and we will simply be more tolerant of others.