"Sports the only reason many students still go to school"

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
ChrisOH

"Sports the only reason many students still go to school"

Post by ChrisOH »

This is an article from today's local newspaper, part of a series on influential people in the Northeast Ohio community. (Euclid is a suburb of Cleveland.)

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/201 ... =fullstory
Most Influential: Paul Serra helped bring national tournament to Euclid

Published: Sunday, June 03, 2012

By Matthew Skrajner
MSkrajner@News-Herald.com
@MattNewsHerald

The city of Euclid has a proud sports tradition, and Paul Serra is one of the biggest reasons the history is so great.

Serra, who graduated from Euclid High, began there as a sophomore in 1953.

After graduating from Kent State University, he played pro baseball in the New York Mets minor league system.

According to baseballreference.com, he hit for a .301 average and nine home runs in two seasons with the Auburn Mets.

Following his playing career, Serra became an assistant coach at Euclid High in 1972 and then head coach in 1977, while also being a teacher.

"It was a great experience," Serra said.

"My dream was to always coach at the high school."

Serra made multiple trips to the state championship game during his nearly 20-year tenure as coach.

"The ultimate was winning the state championship in 1982," Serra said.

"I wouldn't trade it for anything."

During his time as a teacher and coach, Serra witnessed how important sports are to some kids and said it would be devastating if the trend continues of eliminating sports because of budget cuts.

Serra said that for some kids, playing a sport is the only reason that they still go to school.

"It keeps them on the up and up, and keeps their grades up," he said.

Serra's reach also extends past the high school.

He was a member of the committee that helped bring the Continental Amateur Baseball Association tournament, featuring many of the best youth teams from North America, to Euclid more than 20 years ago.

The CABA tournament has spotlighted many future major leaguers, including Alex Rodriguez, now with the New York Yankees.

Serra continues to be heavily involved in Euclid sports as the sports director for the city Recreation Department, where he works to organize softball, baseball, volleyball, basketball and various other leagues throughout the year.

Serra also has sponsored teams in various baseball leagues throughout the years.

"It's just my way of giving back to the kids a little bit."

Additionally, Serra's name will be remembered in Euclid for years to come.

A few years ago, the city even renamed one of the high school diamonds as Serra Field.

"It was a great honor," Serra said. "I wouldn't have let them do it had I known about it."
[emphases mine]

I'm not trying to pick on Mr. Serra here, but it kind of strikes me as a sad commentary on the educational system if sports are the "only reason some kids go to school."

At least at my high school (back in the mid-to-late 1980s), sports weren't the victims of budget cuts -- academics were. New computer equipment, science clubs, classroom tools -- there was no money for these things, we were told, yet the baseball, football and basketball teams always had whatever they needed. And yet, the school district was constantly putting tax levies on the ballot -- which were usually rejected.

Also, they made a show of having "academic standards", yet in many of the basic and required courses (math, English, history, general science) the coursework was "dumbed down", graded on a steep curve, or laced with frivolous "extra credit" (one EC question on a junior high science test was about who won some basketball game the night before!) to make sure the athletes passed. (After all, can't have Mr. Quarterback ineligible for The Big Game due to some trivial matter like his grades, now can we?) So, I wouldn't say sports made the athletes keep their grades up -- seemed like just the opposite happened.

Thoughts or comments, anyone?
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: "Sports the only reason many students still go to school

Post by Fat Man »

ChrisOH wrote:At least at my high school (back in the mid-to-late 1980s), sports weren't the victims of budget cuts -- academics were. New computer equipment, science clubs, classroom tools -- there was no money for these things, we were told, yet the baseball, football and basketball teams always had whatever they needed. And yet, the school district was constantly putting tax levies on the ballot -- which were usually rejected.

Also, they made a show of having "academic standards", yet in many of the basic and required courses (math, English, history, general science) the coursework was "dumbed down", graded on a steep curve, or laced with frivolous "extra credit" (one EC question on a junior high science test was about who won some basketball game the night before!) to make sure the athletes passed. (After all, can't have Mr. Quarterback ineligible for The Big Game due to some trivial matter like his grades, now can we?) So, I wouldn't say sports made the athletes keep their grades up -- seemed like just the opposite happened.

Thoughts or comments, anyone?
Good afternoon ChrisHO:

Well, you've been saying what I've been saying all along!

Sometimes I think, you and I have interchangeable parts! 8) 8) 8)

I have been saying the same thing, ever since I joined these forums back in February 12,2009 (the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin) that the classroom curriculum has been "dumbed down" to make it easier for the jocks to get passing grades so they can participate in school sports, which actually does a great dis-service to those students who are more serious about their academic subjects.

I forget how many times I have mentioned this in the past, until some members are sick of it, but it still bears repeating.

When I was in high school back in 1968 to 1969, my so-called "science" teacher was also the school's football coach, so he was too damn busy coaching his team of pre-frontally lobotomized baboons to teach in my science class, so . . . . . instead, he would set up the movie projector, and turn off the lights, leaving us to sit in the dark, watching a bunch of stupid cartoons!!!

Yeah! That was my science class!

In my English literature, we got to play Charades! Like, WWWOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEE!!!

Talk about "dumbing down" the classroom subjects! Can't get much dumber than that! Eh?

I thought I was back in fucking Kindergarten!!!

My parents paid school taxes on the property we had. And this is what my parent's school taxes were paying for???

Yeah! Uh huh! Your tax dollars at work!

The physics lab, chemistry lab, and biology lab needed new equipment, but nothing was forth coming in that regard. Also, my science textbook had a 1952 copyright date in it, and it was in 1969 when I was in high school. Many of our textbooks were old and falling apart.

Oh! But there was plenty of money for brand new football jerseys and helmets, basketball uniforms, and marching uniforms for the high school band so they could look really snazzy all dressed up to march during half time, and the band sucked!!!

But, not one red cent for new lab equipment or new textbooks!

Also, as you enter the front lobby, there was a fancy glass enclosed display case for all of these beautiful bronze trophies for football and basketball.

But down the hall, up on a bulletin board was a single sheet of paper tacked up with the names of the students who made the A honer role and B honor role, which eventually would get covered up by sports posters.

In the high school year book, most of the photos were in black & white while the photos of those on the football and basketball teams were in glorious living color!!!

In my high school, although we did have a Chess club, there was no science club or art club, but we had sports clubs!!!

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

My entire high school experience was just one great big jaw-dropping, HUH?!?

Also, lots of, WHAT THE FUCKS?!?

Yeah, we both know whereof we speak.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!