Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear Of The Number 666

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear Of The Number 666

Post by Fat Man »

OK, I guess I should have posted this topic on a Friday 13th.

The fear of the number 13 is called Triskaidekaphobia.

And the fear of the number 666 is called Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexakosioi ... hexaphobia
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (pronounced: hexa-koseeoi-hexe-konta-hexaphobia) (derived from Ancient Greek roots á¼?ξακÏ?Ï?ιοι (six hundred), á¼?ξήκονÏ?α (sixty), and á¼?ξ (six); literally meaning "fear of [the number] six hundred sixty-six") is the fear that originated from the Biblical verse Revelation 13:18, which indicates that the number 666 is the Number of the Beast, linked to Satan or the Anti-Christ.

666 in Greek number notation

A prominent example is Nancy and Ronald Reagan who, in 1979, when moving to their home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles, had its addressâ??666 St. Cloud Roadâ??changed to 668 St. Cloud Road.

The phobia has been a motif in various horror films such as The Omen and its 2006 remake. The number of the beast also appears in other films such as Pulp Fiction.

Some women also expressed concern about giving birth to a child on June 6, 2006 (06/06/06).

Another example of hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia comes from the Dutch Christian organization Stichting Opwekking ("Revival Foundation"). When their songbook would have reached the number 666 in May 2007 they decided to skip the number "because of the sensitivity amongst people". Another reason for excluding this number was that it would be the last song of that year: they release new Christian songs in their Revival songbook every year around Pentecost and the number 666 would be on the front page of their songbook. As a result the Revival songbook skips from 665 to 667. Christian critics described this exclusion as a superstitious act.
The number 666 is a triangular number, the 36th number in the series of triangular numbers.

For example:

3, 6, 10 (bowling pins), 15 (billiard balls in the rack), 21, 28, 56, 45, etc. etc.

To calculate triangular numbers, use this formula:

N(N+1)/2

For example:

36x(36+1)/2 = 36x37/2 = 1332/2=666

Therefore 666 is the 36th triangular number.

Also, 666 is only a number. It is not an evil number!

There is no such thing as evil numbers or good numbers.

Numbers are neither good or evil, they're just numbers!

Just like the number 13 is not an unlucky number!

There is no such thing as lucky numbers or unlucky numbers!

Again, they're just numbers.

But, even in our modern highly technological society, many buildings do not have a 13th floor and many hotels, motels and apartment buildings do not have a room 13 in them.

This is nothing but ignorant superstitious hokum and bunkum!

Yeah! Ronald Reagan had the house number on his home in California changed from 666 to 668 because he was an ignorant superstitious moronic buffoon and a fucking retard!

Also, his wife Nancy consulted with astrologers!

If I'm not mistaken, Adolf Hitler consulted with astrologers!

Now, if I lived in a room 13 or a room 666 in a high rise, it would not bother me in the least.

Fuck! I didn't believe in the superstitious crap when I was just a kid!

But, most of these fuck-tards in the Republican party indulge in all kinds of imbecilic, moronic, buffoonery!!!

And if the Republicans win this 2012 election, then we are in BIG TROUBLE!!!

We'll all be standing up to our ears in deep doggy doo.

Nah! We'll be fed BULLSHIT as usual!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Lewis

Re: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear Of The Number 666

Post by Lewis »

I read somewhere that the actual Number of the Beast was 616. Funny how things change.

I think it is in Japan where the number four is considered unlucky because it sounds like the word death.
ChrisOH

Re: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - Fear Of The Number 666

Post by ChrisOH »

I've had cashiers ask me if I still wanted the exact change when the figure came out to $6.66. They ask surprised when I tell them the exact change is fine with me. "Oooh...I'd be scared to take that!" they say, or something similar.

What, am I supposed to go to hell just because I have a certain combination of bills and coins in my pocket at any given time?

Religion and superstition have produced so much stupidity over the ages, it boggles my mind. :roll: