Sports Harassment

Ice skates, maple syrup, and a dozen or so toothless morons.
Sick of Sports
One-post wonder

Sports Harassment

Post by Sick of Sports »

Hi Everyone,
So happy to find people who are not caught up in the delusion of sports. Recently I protested at work to the idea that our team go to a Hockey Game as a 'team building' activity. I immediatly got ridiculed by one of the 'sportshead' guys in the group who asked rhetorically "What's wrong, did you have somekind of childhood trauma related to sports?" I was shocked and could not even respond. I knew I was upset but couldn't figure out why it felt like such a slap in the face.... as I started to process what he said I realized that he was insinuating that I (a female) must have somekind of deep seated mental problem because I don't like sports--as if liking sports is the measure of mental health??? Is it so hard to believe that someone might just have come to the realization all by themselves, perhaps even using some critical thinking skills, that they don't like sports...is this too far out there for consideration? I'm debating whether to report this incident to our Labour Relations group as an incident of harassment. I welcome anyone's comments or thoughts on this incident.
Many thanks, G
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

If he continually bullies you over it (or anything else, for that matter), then you should report it. I don't think a mouth-breathing sports bore voicing his biased opinions once can be called harrassment.

Other than that, welcome to the site and, indeed, the forums! :)
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

How is jumping up and down and yelling like idiots everytime some sawdust-head hits a puck toward a net a "team-building" activity (whatever the hell that means)?
Ray
Site Admin

Re: Sports Harassment

Post by Ray »

Sick of Sports wrote:Hi Everyone,
So happy to find people who are not caught up in the delusion of sports. Recently I protested at work to the idea that our team go to a Hockey Game as a 'team building' activity. I immediatly got ridiculed by one of the 'sportshead' guys in the group who asked rhetorically "What's wrong, did you have somekind of childhood trauma related to sports?" I was shocked and could not even respond. I knew I was upset but couldn't figure out why it felt like such a slap in the face.... as I started to process what he said I realized that he was insinuating that I (a female) must have somekind of deep seated mental problem because I don't like sports--as if liking sports is the measure of mental health??? Is it so hard to believe that someone might just have come to the realization all by themselves, perhaps even using some critical thinking skills, that they don't like sports...is this too far out there for consideration? I'm debating whether to report this incident to our Labour Relations group as an incident of harassment. I welcome anyone's comments or thoughts on this incident.
Many thanks, G
hmmm..that's an interesting idea. It would be a new form of harrassment --one that's always been overlooked before because it's so seldom seen. Because most of us just keep quiet about our dislike for sports so it never comes up. But at my old job, there was a guy who let it be known he didn't like football --I don't know how he did it because it was before I worked there --and I used to hear snickers about him and sly insults occasionally whenever the subject of sports came up -like office football betting pools or fantasy sports. They would say something like, Yeah, everybody will want to do it except Dannnnnn --pronouncing his name as if it something smelly. But that guy was an inspiration to me. I thought, if he can be brave enough to stand up and say he doesn't like sports, so can I! :)
It was a turning point for me. So I think you're right it can be a type of harrassment. But I agree with Skul that one incident doesn't constitute harrassment. I think that was just an insult. If he keeps it up though...

I Hope We Lose!
abitagirl

Post by abitagirl »

Ray wrote:hmmm..that's an interesting idea. It would be a new form of harrassment --one that's always been overlooked before because it's so seldom seen. Because most of us just keep quiet about our dislike for sports so it never comes up. But at my old job, there was a guy who let it be known he didn't like football --I don't know how he did it because it was before I worked there --and I used to hear snickers about him and sly insults occasionally whenever the subject of sports came up -like office football betting pools or fantasy sports. They would say something like, Yeah, everybody will want to do it except Dannnnnn --pronouncing his name as if it something smelly. But that guy was an inspiration to me. I thought, if he can be brave enough to stand up and say he doesn't like sports, so can I! :)
It was a turning point for me. So I think you're right it can be a type of harrassment. But I agree with Skul that one incident doesn't constitute harrassment. I think that was just an insult. If he keeps it up though...

If you hadn't mentioned your old job, I'd have sworn you were talking about elementary school. :?

When did sports take on this kind of importance? Being mocked just for not liking them just seems odd to me (unfortunately it is late and I can't think of a better word than odd).
Moviemaker

Post by Moviemaker »

What an idiot. You know, if it isnt bad enough hes a hockey lover, he has to make a smart aleck remark without any regard to how it might make you feel. I find that with a lot of sports fans- They like to spew facetious insults, especially when others are around. It makes them feel mighty. But what this dolt might not realize is that he makes a better sports fan than he does a comedian. I assure you that i wont be casting him in any of my movies soon.
sports rox1234

Post by sports rox1234 »

It's not right that were making fun of you.And since they asked you if you had some kind of mental problem which you probably don't they said it because they were making fun of you and that means that they could have a kid with mental problems.So they were being total idiots.You should have just ignored them.
Many thanks, G
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is when you are playing a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Many thanks, G
I know this post is old, but I feel the need to comment on it. This is precisely the type of harassment I was talking about over in the sports suck forums. This is the type of thing that I come here to read about and discuss, and this is what I believe this website is dedicated to. People that act just like this.

I believe I discussed how as children, we were harassed for failing to make a winning play in school gymnasium sports, but as we got older, we still couldn't escape the razing from sports fans. It just takes on a subtler but still annoying and degrading tone.

The problem with reporting things like this is that the very people you report it to might likely be sports fans themselves, and not too sympathetic. However, the comment you described was indeed way out there and uncalled for.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

I'm glad you commented on it and brought it back up to the top because this IS what this forum's about.

You don't get sneered at if you don't watch Saturday Night Live. You aren't subject to insults to your manhood if you don't like fly fishing or woodworking. But sports? You'd better like them or else!

I've seen the immediate insulting response, the ugly contorted face, that the original poster described --and from people you wouldn't expect too. It's baffling behavior.

I Hope We Lose!