Sport is corrupting the video game industry

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
blast flame

Sport is corrupting the video game industry

Post by blast flame »

Sport is starting to infect the video game industry. Sport games are already the most populer genre of video games. How long before good innovative games are cancled in favor of higher selling sport games? Sport games have no innovation and couldn't even if they tried. You can't add a new feature to madden because then it wouldn't be a football game. The closest they get to doing this is adding sim modes around the core sport game.

Some people even want normal video games turned into "e-sports" with "cyber-athletes." This is a terrible idea. It would tie video games down like sport is because adding a new feature might hurt that "cyber-athlete" that was training for 3 years. Single player games would also die out. Motion detecting controlers also worry me. If used correctly they will be a new interesting way to control games. If my fears come true they will evolve (devolve would be a better word) to a point in which your skill and intelligence do not matter in the next big first person shooter, instead it relies on how fast you can run.
The world is helping sport and attacking freedom, don't let this happen

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

It's amazing how well these things sell. Amazing in a bad way. New graphics, new players and a new year. Whoop-dee-shit. Great features.

Take a look at all the other games coming out (or already out) that have much better graphics (DOOM 3, Half-Life 2, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4) or have open-ended gameplay, as well as being good looking (Oblivion, Grand Theft Auto, Bully). Not to mention the many well thought out games, like the aforementioned Metal Gear Solid series, Splinter Cell series, Dungeon Keeper series, etc.

Sports games are just the same gameplay all the time! Kick a ball here, throw a ball there, hit a ball with a bat here, grab your teammates balls there.

Sports suck!
Last edited by Skul on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum Rules

SportsSuck.org. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
Mastershake5434

Post by Mastershake5434 »

Wow guys....Im a huge gamer and i have been saying this for ever. So many well thought out games dont get attention.
bdictjames

Post by bdictjames »

Its just that people actually want to be in the game, not just watch it. Im a sportsfan myself and Im proud of that
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

People want to be in the game and not just watch it? Isn't that what sports fans do, though? Sit and watch games? Yeah.

By the way, you don't watch video games, you play them. You see, you actually control what's happening on-screen. I would have expected even a sports fan to know that.

In any case, please tell me what your post has got to do with boring sports games selling better than well though out games...?
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

Post by Canadian_Hockey_Hater »

*gasp* they wouldn't actually make all games stupid, pointless sports games that need no skill to play!? I would just die. I love my video games. I'm pretty open to all of them, Im kinda adicted to zelda tho... lol. I really hope they never do that. I would go around and burn all the games if they were all sports games... That would be horrible. On a kinda different topic, do sports fans have absolutly no life at all they have to come on the sports haters site and waste our time? wtf, go watch some meanless sport and stop posting stupid messages about "im a sports fan and im proud" I dont know about y'all but I am prous to be a sports hater, but im not going to go on a sports fan website and post that... weridos......
Sports contribute nothing to society. They are a waste of time, money, effort and TV channels! It's just a bunch of buffed up, fat headed, idiotic jocks chasing a ball around.

If cheerleading were any easier... It would be called football!
Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

They obviously see us as a threat, so logically, they'll tell us that they love sports. Do they think that by letting us know they love sports, that is supposed to somehow 'prove' that we're 'wrong'?

Another tactic, as it were, is to bore us with a biography of who their favourite sports star is (including hundreds of pointless details such as points scored in ten years, etc... WHO CARES?) and what they're favourite sport is (and again, bore us with in-depth descriptions of nothing). Then there is the usual overused lies: 'Sports build character. Sports build teamwork. Sports make you a better person. Sports bring countries together.'

I've heard these things so many times. Who are they trying to convince? Us or themselves?
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

Good point... another thing is that apparently if you dont like or play sports your "fat" and "lazy" Yeah right...
Sports contribute nothing to society. They are a waste of time, money, effort and TV channels! It's just a bunch of buffed up, fat headed, idiotic jocks chasing a ball around.

Skul
Forum Admin

Post by Skul »

Ah yes, how could I forget that? I'm definitely not fat. You know, I don't think I could become fat even if I wanted to! After years of eating McDonalds, chocolate bars, good ol' British fish-'n'-chips and drinking fizzy drinks (not all at once... well, maybe the drinks along with one of the above), I don't seem to have gained any fat at all. I probably just have a really fast metabolism.
Forum Rules

Love and Tolerance!
Canadian_Hockey_Hater

I'll admit im not skinny, but that doesn't mean im 500 pounds sitting on my couch eating chips and watching sports... No, I may not be skinny, but im an average size... not anerexic or anything.... creepy... anyways, I was born big, same with the rest of my family, 2 sisters included.... But i could play sports all day every day and I would never be skinny... I'm healthy, i eat right, i exercise in normal ways, not sports, and i love my size, im pretty strong for a female and Im positive I could kick a sports players skinny little ass... lol, im sure we all could..... and want to..... lol I dont eat mcdonalds, i hardly eat out, and I havn't eaten mcdonalds in.... 2 and a half years... lol, but like i said, i hate sports and im not fat and lazy so in sports fans FACE! ha... all sports fans i know are fat old men who sit around all day and eat junk and drink beer.... ew.... down with sports and idiotic sports fans who think (they can barely think) that they are cool!

Canadian_Hockey_Hater

just on a kinda off topic thing for a sec, this site says i posted that at 4:57 pm.... where are you that thats the time? Where I am it is 9:57 AM..... same day though.... big time difference...... but yeah sports suck.... lol

Dead_Decoy

Post by Dead_Decoy »

The way Madden games sell makes me sick. What's the point? If I were a sports fan I would at least have the common sense to not buy the same game EVERY YEAR.

On a side note, I just got a Wii. Wii sports (The game that comes with it) is actually fun.
No, you may not have the antidote. Now stop calling me.
Alienation Deliberation

Post by Alienation Deliberation »

Mastershake5434 wrote:Wow guys....Im a huge gamer and i have been saying this for ever. So many well thought out games dont get attention.
I agree. I like SNES games more than the games of today. One of my favorites being Earth Bound made when I was 3 years old, though I played it avidly when I was old enough to understand it. I had fun beating the game over and over because it never got old. Now, they're so dull because they can't think of a proper storyline, that I'd trade my games and everything newer than N64 for a few SNES and N64 games that I stupidly pawned to purchase these games. Live and learn, I guess :P

I like the sports games to play a little, but I also agree that if they were to go that far, I'd dislike it very much. HOWEVER I do not think that this would be the correct decision in a business way. I mean, base all of their games on sports, they'd only get a small array of the gamers. Yes, they'd get a lot of them, but then what about other gamers who like story lines? They'd be left out and you'd lose that much more money, or for the FPS gamers, most of them dislike sports games. The business would lose them too, leaving only the sports fans and the casual gamers. That's about 80% of the gamers, but it's not 100%. So don't worry about them creating what you described, they'd still make the other games because they know that that's even more money.