Penn and Teller BS anti sports speech

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
rotten

Penn and Teller BS anti sports speech

Post by rotten »

You are probably familiar with the magicians Penn (the big loud one) and Teller (the little quiet one) and maybe familiar with there showtime tv show entitled "bullshit"
The show is all about busting psychics, astrologers, global warming, all kinds of fringe pseudo science and just whatever they think is, well BS. If you aren't watching it already, you should be.

One of the latest episodes was on video game violence. There stance is that there is no proven link between video game violence and violent behavior. I kind of wondered how they would pull this one off, but like always they did a real nice job.

Close to the end Penn does a little speech about pretending that there is no such thing as football. The schools have video game competitions for a hundred years, then football is invented, people get hurt and even killed playing this game, all in the name of school spirit. He elaborates a bit more. It nearly brought me to tears hearing someone else say the things i've felt for so long.

I've always been a big Penn Jillete fan, but this really solidified things.

Here's a youtube clip of the show, the part i spoke of above is at about 5min 50 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2ygCRpxKw

Enjoy
Where the gym teacher was always mad, And as far as we could tell, he only exercised his right to yell - Josh Joplin Group- Dutch Wonderland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, coach.
Ray
Site Admin

Re: Penn and Teller BS anti sports speech

Post by Ray »

thanks! 665 kids killed by sports since 1931?! Holy cow! And people are worried about VIDEO GAMES?!

I Hope We Lose!
rotten

Post by rotten »

Ray wrote:thanks! 665 kids killed by sports since 1931?! Holy cow! And people are worried about VIDEO GAMES?!
Oh no! 665 deaths just from football! He didn't tell us the total from other sports too. I'm sure football is probably the highest, but i'm sure other sports are significant too.
Where the gym teacher was always mad, And as far as we could tell, he only exercised his right to yell - Josh Joplin Group- Dutch Wonderland
Earl

Post by Earl »

Wow! Not to mention those who were or have been maimed.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

rotten wrote:
Ray wrote:thanks! 665 kids killed by sports since 1931?! Holy cow! And people are worried about VIDEO GAMES?!
Oh no! 665 deaths just from football! He didn't tell us the total from other sports too. I'm sure football is probably the highest, but i'm sure other sports are significant too.
damn --that's just from FOOTBALL?! Yeah, there must be a significant number from other sports too. Yep, common sense indicates sports need immediate attention --long before explicit lyrics, video games, or rap music!

I Hope We Lose!
resolvent

Post by resolvent »

Big problem I have with P&T: I cannot tell when they are being sarcastic and when they are being sincere. I can never tell when they are going to take the conventional common public-consensus side of society or when they are going to take the underdog side.
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

I don't see them on TV very often but I know what you mean. They're kind of odd.

I Hope We Lose!
rotten

Post by rotten »

They are comedians, so yes they joke around, but when it comes to political views they don't take peoples views on anything, it's not about people it's about ideals. They are hardcore libertarians so if you know much about that then it is quite easy to see when they are being truthful, and what their perspective is.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Don't watch these guys, and have nothing to say about this topic, but from their commercials they seem like the type of guys that think they have an inside track on everything that's going on, but really don't. I don't know, I may be wrong.

Bill Maher is a guy I like though.
rotten

Post by rotten »

You are right about being wrong. They actually research stuff, and make very good arguments. They even admit that they are telling you their side, unlike your beloved tv news (which is mostly sports anyway).

but thanks any way for butting in to tell us that you
have nothing to say about this topic
I also like how you jump in here to tell us someone you do like. How is that related to Penn and teller? Thanks for the o/t