Another introdution

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Northern Mike

Another introdution

Post by Northern Mike »

First off, Thank You Fat Man for the warm welcome. I'm glad I found this site where I can vent my dislike for sports.

A little about myself so you understand "How I got the way I am." I'm originally from California, but have lived in Alaska for the last 21 years. I'm married and a father of two teenage daughters. I'm more politically conservative than most of you ( from what I read in your posts). As far as my passions go I enjoy hunting, fishing and enjoying the great outdoors. Indoors, I enjoy reading or a movie.

Now is guess it's on to why I don't like sports. For me it's the Pro/ big money element that sets me off. I have no problem with people getting some exercise or participating in a game they enjoy playing. What I can't stand is seeing tax payers fleeced to pay for stadiums so overpaid jocks can pay games. The sleaze doesn't stop there, criminal activity is all to often covered up or simply excused in ordered not to rock the boat ( Michael Vick, and the on-going story at Penn State are two examples that come to mind.)

I could write more, but it's all been said before. So I'll just sign off for now.

Mike
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: Another introdution

Post by Fat Man »

Northern Mike wrote:First off, Thank You Fat Man for the warm welcome. I'm glad I found this site where I can vent my dislike for sports.

A little about myself so you understand "How I got the way I am." I'm originally from California, but have lived in Alaska for the last 21 years. I'm married and a father of two teenage daughters. I'm more politically conservative than most of you ( from what I read in your posts). As far as my passions go I enjoy hunting, fishing and enjoying the great outdoors. Indoors, I enjoy reading or a movie.

Now is guess it's on to why I don't like sports. For me it's the Pro/ big money element that sets me off. I have no problem with people getting some exercise or participating in a game they enjoy playing. What I can't stand is seeing tax payers fleeced to pay for stadiums so overpaid jocks can pay games. The sleaze doesn't stop there, criminal activity is all to often covered up or simply excused in ordered not to rock the boat ( Michael Vick, and the on-going story at Penn State are two examples that come to mind.)

I could write more, but it's all been said before. So I'll just sign off for now.

Mike
Good afternoon Mike:

Although I'm a liberal on most social, economic, and political issues, I guess there are some issues I'm somewhat conservative about.

For example: Gun ownership. I favor the right of responsible adults to own a fire arm to protect the home, but I believe that proper training should be required.

I've never been hunting, but I support the right to hunt game, and I love fishing and camping.

When I was a kid, our family lived in a small town in Northern Minnesota. My mother took us out on camping trips across the country. We went to places like Yellowstone National Park, the Devil's Tower, the Grand Canyon. My mother and I build a home made camper trailer, and we also had tents. I loved camping. It was a good way to get out out or our neighborhood during the summers because, it was a very bad neighborhood, a small town ghetto.

As you probably have guessed by now, I'm not Christian, and I support Darwin's Evolution, and I'm against all attempts to insert Creationism, or so-called Intelligent Design into school science textbooks.

I have a YouTube Channel and I call myself Big Fat Heretic.

Here is a link to my channel if your interested . . . . .

Image EVOLUTION! Doing My Part To Piss Off The Religious Right!
BigFatHeretic's Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

As of now, I have over 140 Playlists on my channel.

Please do check it out.

Thank you.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Northern Mike wrote:I'm glad I found this site where I can vent my dislike for sports.
Please feel free to vent all you want. :) We need more activity in the forum.

Northern Mike wrote:A little about myself so you understand "How I got the way I am."
I'm always interested in why new members came to feel the way they do about the sports culture.

Northern Mike wrote:I'm originally from California, but have lived in Alaska for the last 21 years.
I've never been to Alaska, but I have a sister who's lived in northern California since the summer of 1991.

Northern Mike wrote:I'm married and a father of two teenage daughters.
I've been happily married for over 30 years and am the proud father of two daughters, both of whom are now in their twenties.

Northern Mike wrote:I'm more politically conservative than most of you ( from what I read in your posts).
I'm politically independent (and apathetic), but I may agree with you on an issue or two. In fact, I'm sure I do. I was liberal when I was young, but a lot has happened since then. Incidentally, the creator of this website is a conservative Republican and, unless I'm mistaken, is also a supporter of the Tea Party movement. No correlation can be made between one's ideological inclination and whether or not he's a sports fan. As far as the coercive aspects of the sports culture are concerned, some of the worst offenders are liberals, who seem to have no compassion for nonathletic boys forced to take "sports only" (in other words, no exercise programs) P.E.

Northern Mike wrote:As far as my passions go I enjoy hunting, fishing and enjoying the great outdoors. Indoors, I enjoy reading or a movie.
One doesn't have to be a sports fan in order to be physically active. Who says I have to be sedentary just because I'm not interested in ball games? (Some sports fans are way too inactive, spending so much time in front of the TV. :twisted: ) Anyone who's even visited this forum knows what I'm going to say next: I work with a personal trainer at a nearby health club on a bodybuilding program, which would have benefited me greatly when I was a teenager; but, of course, the mandatory P.E. of my generation was not the least bit concerned about the physical fitness needs of nonathletes, who were the nonpersons in the world of school sports.

Northern Mike wrote:Now is guess it's on to why I don't like sports. For me it's the Pro/ big money element that sets me off. I have no problem with people getting some exercise or participating in a game they enjoy playing. What I can't stand is seeing tax payers fleeced to pay for stadiums so overpaid jocks can pay games. The sleaze doesn't stop there, criminal activity is all to often covered up or simply excused in ordered not to rock the boat ( Michael Vick, and the on-going story at Penn State are two examples that come to mind.)
I agree with you, of course. Now, as far as my own objections to the sports culture ... well, I'll leave that for another time, perhaps. Incidentally, in the "Sports Suck!" board, I've started a new topic entitled "the Penn State scandal." This scandal's really outrageous. There have been other scandals as well -- some of which, I'm convinced, hardly received any publicity, if any. Investigative reporting is not exactly widely associated with the sports media.

Northern Mike wrote:I could write more, but it's all been said before. So I'll just sign off for now.

Mike
I'm delighted you've joined this forum. :) Keep on posting! :wink:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Earl,

Maybe you could consider giving Northern Mike full, pre-approved posting ability?

I realise we need certain level of control just because the spam attacks have gotten so bad, but I think Northern Mike has proven he's legit.

You might do the same for monolith (although, as a non-moderator, I honestly don't know if it's even possible to do that for individuals).

Thanks,
RF
Northern Mike

Post by Northern Mike »

Recovering Fan, Thanks for you vote of support!