the Penn State scandal

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Earl

the Penn State scandal

Post by Earl »

Penn State Scandal Timeline: Key Dates In The Jerry Sandusky Sex Abuse Case

A chronological look at the case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, based on a grand jury report in Pennsylvania state court. Some key dates in Penn State football history are included. Sandusky has been charged with 40 criminal counts, accusing him of serial sex abuse of minors.

___

1969 â?? Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.

1977 â?? Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.

January 1983 â?? Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.

January 1987 â?? Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.

1994 â?? Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.

1994-95 â?? Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.

1995-96 â?? Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.

1996-97 â?? Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.

1996-98 â?? Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.

Jan. 1, 1998 â?? Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.

1998 â?? Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.

Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."

Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.

The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

June 1999 â?? Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.

Dec. 28, 1999 â?? Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Summer 2000 â?? Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.

Fall 2000 â?? A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.

Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.

March 1, 2002 â?? A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.

March 2, 2002 â?? In the morning, the graduate assistant calls Coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

March 3, 2002 â?? Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.

March 2002 â?? Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.

March 27, 2002 (approximate) â?? The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.

2005-2006 â?? Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.

Spring 2007 â?? During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.

Spring 2008 â?? Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.

Early 2009 â?? An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.

September 2010 â?? Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.

Nov. 5, 2011 â?? Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.

Nov. 7, 2011 â?? Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.

Nov. 8, 2011 â?? Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly press conference.

Nov. 9, 2011 â?? Paterno and Spanier, one of the nation's longest-serving college presidents, are ousted, effective immediately. Earlier in the day, Paterno announced he'd retire at the end of the season. In the end, he didn't have that choice.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/0 ... 84204.html
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: the Penn State scandal

Post by Fat Man »

Good afternoon Earl:

Thanks for posting this topic.

Yeah! This is absolutely disgusting.

Football coach Jerry Sandusky, should go from Penn State to the state pen!

I hope he gets some redneck cellmate named Bubbah who keeps a big can of Crisco in his cell.

Hey coach! Bend over and spread 'em for your Uncle Bubbah!

I hope that baby-fucker dies in prison!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Penn State scandal: Scene turns ugly as students react to Joe Paterno's firing

Published: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 12:54 AM Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 7:16 AM

By Andy McCullough and Matthew Stanmyre/The Star-Ledger

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. â?? By 9:50 tonight, minutes before the Penn State Board of Trustees announced football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were being fired, casualties of the child sex abuse scandal that has rocked the school community this week, students had gathered inside the HUB-Robeson Student Center.

Dozens swelled into hundreds. They stood on chairs and kneeled on the floor. They shouted at the television, cheering when the channel was finally changed to ESPNews.
The fate of the university would soon be revealed.

At 10:13 p.m., they learned Paterno was no longer their football coach.

â??They fired Joe Paterno,â? one student said. His tone was incredulous. A few kids wept. Other shouted swears. Most were shushed by the group.

The silence did not last long. At 10:26 p.m., the first wave of the mob burst through the doors of the Hub. It was a maelstrom of blue and gray and white, smiling and shouting and blowing into vuvuzelas â?? the first wave of a mob which would lead to a toppled news van, plumes of pepper spray in the air and various other acts of vandalism.

They charged through the student center and toward the steps of Old Main, the primary administration building at Penn State.

Thousands of kids flocked there, running from campus and from College Avenue. Their voices echoed into the night: â??We want Joe Pa!â? They cursed Jerry Sandusky, the central figure in the scandal. They cursed the trustees. They cursed the media. A bullhorn was passed around. One student began a speech, only to be shouted down by the group.

By 10:49 p.m., they decided to take to the streets, en route to Beaver Stadium. Firecrackers burst in the street. Police sirens wailed. Still, the voices did not cease.

East Beaver Avenue, a block off campus, was overtaken by rowdy fans who chanted in favor of Paterno. The chants included, â??One more game! ... One more game!â? Police armed with batons and pepper spray and decked in riot gear fought through the crowds of people. Traffic on Beaver was blocked off.

As police in riot gear bisected Beaver Avenue, a 20-year-old junior named Karl Koerner stood near the back of the crowd on the sidewalk.

â??This place has a lot of pride,â? he said. He added, â??I think if they had just let Joe retire, it would be okay. People have to remember that we all came here because of Joe. Heâ??s a legend.â?

At 11:41, members of the crowd began to haul down the streetlight at the corner of McAllister Avenue and East Beaver. Some screamed for the offenders to stop. Most did not.

Near midnight, the mob cheered louder as a WTAJ-CBS news van was flipped on its side. Students started rocking it and beating on it as other students cheered them on. Soon after, the crowd began throwing bottles and firecrackers at police, who attempted to control the crowd by firing tear gas. At least one individual had to be subdued by Taser and lay on the ground.

By 12:36 a.m., students were trying to rip down streetlights at corner of McAllister and College. Repeatedly gassed by police officers, the hordes sprinted down McAllister to avoid clouds.

People continued hurling rocks at the police, cars and a fire truck that was on the scene to respond to the overturned van. A block away, students climbed light poles and tried to yank them down. The police continued to use pepper spray but it did little to disperse the crowd.

Just after 1:30 a.m., police cars finally worked their way down College Ave. but were pelted by bottles and stop signs were being trampled. At the intersection of College and Sowers, garbage cans were being thrown into the streets.

"They're going to have to repair all this damage," one female student said.

Her friend: "They shouldn't have fired Joe Pa."

The scenes were decidedly more somber elsewhere. Students silently sat in front of the Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium with their heads down and sniffing back tears. They hugged one another and rubbed each otherâ??s backs. Normally this area is loud and ebullient, but tonight it was silent as dozens of students stared at the statue with blank expressions.

Minutes after Paterno addressed students outside of his house, a small group lingered out front. The scene was a far cry from the night before, when hundreds of students chanted Paternoâ??s name and waved handmade signs when he arrived home from practice. tonight, a couple dozen students milled about, mostly silent, shocked by the earlier announcement.

â??It felt like we lost a member of the family. Itâ??s like a funeral,â? said Andrew Danga-Storm, a junior from Bethlehem, Pa., who stood outside Paternoâ??s house. â??Itâ??s like getting hit by a ton of bricks.â?
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... ene_t.html
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Earl

Post by Earl »

Penn State Scandal: Families Of Alleged Victims Upset By Protests, Jokes

by Mark Memmott

With so much attention being given to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and school President Graham Spanier, as well the long-term impact on the school from the sexual abuse scandal that came to light at Penn State this week, there's a danger of the alleged victims being forgotten.

Harrisburg's Patriot News reminds us that if former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky did indeed sexually abuse at least eight boys over the past decade or so (he denies the charges), there are some young men and their loved ones who are suffering â?? and that what's happening now is causing them more pain.

The sister of one boy is a junior at the school. She's spoken with the newspaper (which did not identify her to protect her brother's identity). Her brother was 11 when he was allegedly molested by Sandusky in one of the school's showers. She says:

â?? "I've been going to minimal classes, because every class I go to I get sick to my stomach. People are making jokes about it." Others, she said, have coined the verb "Sanduskied." You can imagine the context.

â?? The young woman also says that the scenes in State College, Pa., last night of students rioting in the streets because they're angry about Paterno's firing, mean that "if there was any pride left at PSU, it's gone now."

"I've just been really upset about it all," she added, "because a lot of people aren't focusing on the victims in this. And instead they're focusing on other things, like football."

Meanwhile, attorney Ben Andreozzi is advising some of Sandusky's alleged victims and their families. He says the Penn State trustees should have anticipated how students would react to news of Paterno's firing and perhaps held off â?? allowing the coach to retire at the end of the season instead, as Paterno wished.

Trustees "should have considered these victims watch TV and are aware of the students' reaction and may not want to be associated with the downfall of Mr. Paterno," Andreozzi tells the Patriot-News. "The school instead elected to do what it felt was in its own best interest at the time. Isn't that what put the school in this position in the first place?"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ests-jokes

Earl

Post by Earl »

Penn State Riot Tipping Over WTAJ News Van Up Close 11/9/2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WewWAfKrK8

Penn State Riot 11/08/2011 Riot Police Charge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpt_FxW3cZ4

What a bunch of crybabies! :x Teachers, professors, and coaches get fired every day. That's just life. So, sports build character, eh? :lol: :roll: Well, "Joe Pa" (cult of personality chant), are you proud of the exemplary conduct of your supporters? :evil:

Instead of copying and pasting the following online article, I've only posted a link to its webpage. Considering the wording of the copyright at the end of the article, I'm not sure posting it here would be legal. If I err, I want to err on the side of caution.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1dL5N5zsW

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

WOW! The first article was disgusting enough.

The second article was even worse.

But the third article, those students at Penn State hit an all time low. They actually joked about the victims being sexually molested by the coaches. So, they really got their jollies from that! Eh?

What if it had been one of their own siblings that were molested?

Would they all then be singing a different song?

This country is going to Hell in a hey-wagon when we care more about football and the coaches than we do about the victims, young children, who were molested and raped by these pigs!

I think the coaches should be taken out in the middle of a desert somewhere and shot, and their bodies left laying there for the buzzards and the vultures to feast upon, and their bones left on the ground to get bleached by the sun.

Way to go, America!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

This whole story is completely disturbing. I'm not going to comment on Sandusky for a few reasons (one of them being that I really don't know what to say, he's a completely terrible person and words can't really describe how contemptible he is), but I should add that so many people involved with this whole scandal over such a long period of time, their lack of action shows a major lack of morality. I don't understand how people could hear about this or even witness it and not do anything about it when they know nothing is being done to stop it. Even the people involved in the legal system in the previous cases where nothing was done, even they should be ashamed of their inaction. Hearing about things like this, where so many people could have done something to end the sexual abuse, just makes me lose so much faith in humanity. Not just this scandal, but also things such as that video that was released not too long ago (which I'm sure at least a few of you have heard about) of that little girl in China being run over by a truck and after stopping, the driver just drove away, running over the child again with the back wheels. Then several people walked by the dying child without doing anything, and another car even drove over the child again. Eventually, someone finally reacted and tried to help the child, but after she was brought to the hospital, it was too late and she died. Incidents like these just make me wonder how people can ignore terrible things such as that. It truly is sickening.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
Earl

Post by Earl »

I've copied and pasted the text of the following article with reservations. I trust the reader will distinguish between rumor and fact. But this article is still relevant. I personally have no sympathy for Penn State. This scandal should have been dealt with immediately instead of being covered up for nine years, as it apparently was. Now people are griping that Penn State stands to lose millions of dollars. Well, the most cost-effective (not to mention the most moral) way of dealing with a scandal is to deal with it immediately. And by "dealing with it" I mean exposing the wrongdoers and reporting them to the police if laws have been broken.

Penn State Scandal: Rumor Claims Sandusky â??Pimped Outâ? Boys to Rich Donors

By Zac Wassink

Just when you thought the Penn State child sex-abuse scandal couldn't possibly get any worse, we may have just scratched the surface. Joe Paterno being fired could be just the start of arguably the biggest downfall in the history of college athletics.

Pittsburgh radio personality Mark Madden, who penned a column for the Beaver County Times back in April of this year named "Sandusky a State secret," a column which foreshadowed the recent scandal which has absolutely gutted those of us in the Penn State family, was a guest on the Dennis & Callahan Morning Show on WEEI sports talk radio out of Boston on Thursday morning. During his appearance, Madden, who has been mostly right regarding this issue from the very start, dropped what can only be called a bombshell, an announcement which could mean far more than the end of Joe Paterno's career.

Madden stated that two "prominent columnists" are currently investigating a rumor that Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile Foundation, a non-profit organization aimed to serve underprivileged youths, was "pimping out young boys to rich (Penn State) donors." Madden went on to say that Jerry Sandusky was told by those running the show at Penn State football that Sandusky had to retire after allegations made in 1998 that the defensive coordinator was guilty of "improper conduct with an underage male." Sandusky, thought by some to be Joe Paterno's successor at the time, abruptly and somewhat shockingly retired from coaching in 1999.

It actually gets worse. Madden went on to say "When Sandusky quit, everybody knew; not just at Penn State. It was a very poorly kept secret around college football, in general. That is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55, young for a coach." Madden also called the Second Mile Foundation "the perfect cover" for Sandusky's scheme.

I want to be absolutely clear about a few things. These reports, as of the writing of this piece, are coming only from Mark Madden, and they are currently only rumors and speculation. With that said, Mark Madden has been mostly correct about a grand jury investigation which was sealed until very recently. I'm not suggesting that I 100 percent believe Madden to be correct. I'm certainly not ignoring a word he's saying regarding the Sandusky case at this point.

Late Wednesday evening after Joe Paterno was fired by Penn State, an "in the know" individual told me that this story was going to get uglier, and that there were, at the very least, "dozens of more victims." My absolute worst fear regarding the issue is what Mark Madden spoke on Thursday morning. It's been widely reported that the US Department of Education is currently investigating Penn State. Are they going to find that Jerry Sandusky was running a multimillion-dollar criminal organization, one which resulted in dozens, possibly hundreds (or even more), of youths being sexually abused? Will they find that higher-ups at Penn State, including now former football coach Joe Paterno, covered-up Sandusky's heinous crimes? All I know this morning is that, after the worst week of my Penn State life, I don't know if anything would shock me.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... n-10407023

Earl

Post by Earl »

Penn State Students Show Classless Response by Rioting After Paterno's Firing

By T.J. Mcaloon

The way that the Penn State fans reacted to the Joe Paterno announcement was a disgusting, classless act by a group that now puts the Penn State University in a deeper hole than it is already in.

The student body had a chance to show support to the victims of the grand jury findings, but instead led a mob mentality that supported someone who knew of a wrongful act and did not do enough.

The students who thought it was cool, or fun or a good idea to go and mass riot, had the wrong idea.

Before the riots and student protest, there were more victims who had the courage to come out and speak against what defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky may have done.

Now, if other victims see the mass of students out in streets in Happy Valley and on the coach's front lawn, it may keep them in hiding, not having the courage to step forward. The students who went out to protest the decision that the Board of Trustees had to make, may have just put a new shame onto those victims who have yet to come out.

Watching those students lend support to Paterno, does not mean that they support what was alleged in the grand jury report. What it does mean is that they lend their support to someone who had the information to fix something, but did only the bare minimum to protect his program.

The Penn State University is trying to lend their support to victims of child abuse, as Saturdayâ??s home game against Nebraska will have their sold-out stadium all wearing blue in a â??Blue Out.â? The Blue Out will help try to raise awareness of those children who may be going through something like this, or those who are still too afraid to come out against their attacker.

Going a step forward, because Penn State is one of the most recognized programs in college football, it should be a NCAA regulation that on Saturday every college home game should pass out the blue ribbons to raise awareness of this.

The students got it wrong, way wrong, in supporting someone as powerful in his position as Paterno. In fact, I was wrong when I wrote that the students did the right thing in showing up on his lawn.

Every student on the Penn State campus has to take a step back and not be blinded by the figure head that was Joe Paterno. He had a chance to be a hero and stand up to what was wrong. Instead he turned a blind eye and tried to protect his program.

That is what the students need to know and understand.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9341 ... nos-firing

Here's one for the Meaningless Gestures Department: Having a "Blue Out." Wow! :roll: I'm sure that will make the victims and their parents feel so much better. No, the rioters have already said the football program is more important than justice or any other moral concern. The victims and their parents have already heard their message loud and clear. :x

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Good evening again Earl:

The more I hear about this, the more disgusting it gets.

Yeah, uh huh! These coaches are a fine role model for young people! Eh?

YEAH RIGHT!!!

I'm thinking, that back in the late 1970s and early 1980s the USA did have one great role model for young people.

As you know, from one of my other forum topics, about Carl Sagan's birthday, that November 9 is Carl Sagan day.

I have just now, as I'm typing this, had finished watching episode 7 of COSMOS "The Backbone of Night" in which Carl Sagan revisits his 6th grade classroom in a school in Brooklyn New York where he was born.

He has traveled to many schools across the USA encouraging young people to take an interest in science and he makes it fun for children.

He was America's best role model for children, Too bad he died in 1996 from cancer.

America needs another good role model for children to look up to.

One would think, that on Carl Sagan day, university students across the USA would turn out to honor Carl Sagan, and hold COSMOS parties, gathering together to watch his 13 episode program, COSMOS!

But NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Instead, the students of Penn State University turn out into the streets to riot and overturn vehicles and damage public property in a riot to protest their hero football coach getting fired, after he had been charged with the sexual abuse of children, and then, making crude jokes about the child victims of that low-life pedophile scum-bag piece of excrement.

They put a piece of shit like Joe Paterno up on a pedestal, and admire him, while cracking jokes about the children who were sexually molested and raped.

How much more disgusting is this going to get?

They can't possibly get any lower, unless they dig down to the earth's core!

Of course, then they'll get cleansed and purified by the 12,000 degree temperatures and rendered clean and sterile as a surgeon's scalpel.

Yeah! That would be good for scum like them!

Earl

Post by Earl »

Fat Man wrote:One would think, that on Carl Sagan day, university students across the USA would turn out to honor Carl Sagan, and hold COSMOS parties, gathering together to watch his 13 episode program, COSMOS!

But NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Instead, the students of Penn State University turn out into the streets to riot and overturn vehicles and damage public property in a riot to protest their hero football coach getting fired, after he had been charged with the sexual abuse of children, and then, making crude jokes about the child victims of that low-life pedophile scum-bag piece of excrement.

They put a piece of shit like Joe Paterno up on a pedestal, and admire him, while cracking jokes about the children who were sexually molested and raped.
I appreciate your righteous indignation, but we need to keep the facts straight. Paterno has not been charged with sexual abuse of children. Another coach was seen raping the young boy in the showers. This coach has subsequently been charged with sexually abusing a total of eight boys. The coach who saw him did not intervene to stop the rape. (Incidentally, I last read that the coach who witnessed the crime was still employed by Penn State.) I don't know what the law is in Pennsylvania regarding child abuse; but as far as I know, Paterno hasn't broken any laws. He did report the rape to a superior at the university. What he is guilty of is a terrible lapse of judgment that reflects poorly on his status as a "molder of character." When he realized that nothing had been done about the pedophile coach, he should have reported him to the police instead of continuing to work with him for years. (Actually, in my opinion, he should have gone straight to the police to report the crime from the very beginning.) Anyway, we need to keep the facts straight.

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Earl wrote:I appreciate your righteous indignation, but we need to keep the facts straight. Paterno has not been charged with sexual abuse of children. Another coach was seen raping the young boy in the showers. This coach has subsequently been charged with sexually abusing a total of eight boys. The coach who saw him did not intervene to stop the rape. (Incidentally, I last read that the coach who witnessed the crime was still employed by Penn State.) I don't know what the law is in Pennsylvania regarding child abuse; but as far as I know, Paterno hasn't broken any laws. He did report the rape to a superior at the university. What he is guilty of is a terrible lapse of judgment that reflects poorly on his status as a "molder of character." When he realized that nothing had been done about the pedophile coach, he should have reported him to the police instead of continuing to work with him for years. (Actually, in my opinion, he should have gone straight to the police to report the crime from the very beginning.) Anyway, we need to keep the facts straight.
OK, I guess I got confused between the two coaches.

That's probably because they both have interchangeable parts!

The coach who did the actual child molestation, should be taken out and shot!

The other coach who witnessed it, should have reported it much sooner, like, when it happened, but he did little or nothing until now. So, he's just as guilty in my books.

They both should be taken out and shot!

FROM A CANON INTO A BRICK WALL!!! KA-BOOM!!! KER-SPLAT!!! End of story!

And if I were the dean of Penn State, I would have all those students involved in the rioting expelled from the university, and I would have the athletic department shut down, and I would only keep those good students who are seriously studying hard in their academic subjects, who were not involved in the riots.

There would be some serious changes made. No more competitive sports like football or basketball.

Only ladies and gentlemen sports, like archery, fencing, or skeet shooting, or something of that nature, and of course, body building like you're doing, and swimming. But that's it!

Penn State would become primarily an educational institution again.

Well, anyway . . . . .

I'm going to get back to watching some more COSMOS videos by Carl Sagan.

Earl

Post by Earl »

Penn State Scandal: Mother Says University Betrayed Victims

By Ankita Mehta

The mother of one of the alleged victims in the Penn State scandal says university officials betrayed the boys who authorities say were sexually abused by former football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

"I'm so upset. My son is extremely distraught, and now to see how we were betrayed, words cannot tell you," the mother, who was not identified, told the Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News.

Sandusky has been indicted on counts of sex crimes against young boys, while Tim Curley, Penn State athletic director, and Gary Schultz, the school's senior vice president for business and finance, were charged with lying to the grand jury and failing to report the abuse properly.

The mother on Monday made her displeasure apparent at the university officials who took their own time to react to the allegations.

In her comments to the Patriot-News, she especially denounced university President Graham Spanier -- who was fired along with legendary head coach Joe Paterno Wednesday night -- Curley and Schultz for callous disregard of the alleged victims.

"To see that Graham Spanier is putting his unconditional support behind Curley and Shultz when he should be putting his support behind the victims, it just makes them victims all over again," she said.

Sandusky, 67, is charged with 40 counts in all, 21 of them felonies for assaulting at least eight young boys over 15 years. After his arrest, a possible ninth victim came forward.

According to the grand jury, a graduate assistant, in 2002, saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a young boy in the shower of the football facility. That graduate assistant then informed his father, according to testimony, and then spoke about the incident to Paterno the next day.

Paterno informed Curley about Sandusky's behavior, but officials did not report the incident to off-campus police.

The woman's son, who is now 24 years old, has been identified as the sixth victim in the indictment. But he is not the boy who was witnessed being abused by the graduate assistant.

"I don't even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel," the mother said. "(The graduate assistant) was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized. . . . He ran and called his daddy?"

Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said Monday that the alleged failure to report the abuse has led to further victimization of young boys for several years.

Though Paterno informed his superior about the incident, on Monday, Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan said the coach had a "moral responsibility" to inform the police.

Meanwhile, the victimâ??s mother spoke about her sonâ??s bravery in disclosing his experiences to the police during the three-year grand jury investigation.

â??Iâ??m very proud of him,â? she said. â??Heâ??s a brave kid. And his major concern in the whole thing was for anybody else. That was his big thing. He said, â??I just donâ??t want this to happen to anybody else.â??â?
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/246701/ ... r-says.htm

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth

Post by Fat Man »

Hello again Earl:

Penn State is not a college or a university any more.

Instead, it has become nothing more than a sports academy, and a temple of idol worship, where children are offered up as human sacrifices to the sports idols, the coaches and the jocks.

Penn State should be burned down and the grounds purified with salt!

Earl

Post by Earl »