The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Indurrago

Re: The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

Post by Indurrago »

No offense 1981, but it seems you contradicted in last post
i_like_1981 wrote:
I don't count post-1989 covers or re-recordings of old songs as being old songs themselves. The originals or pre-1989 covers or recordings are all I'm interested in. Just to let you know. :D

This was a cover of a 1964 hit by The Righteous Brothers, apparently, but Hall and Oates did give rather a good edge to it themselves.
Just to let you know. :D
Anyway here's "Beyond the Bounds" from Zone of Enders 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePTTAn1FMY
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

What I meant was, I don't like a cover of an old song if the cover was released after 1989.

For example, we have had crappy metal band Alien Ant Farm covering Michael Jackson's hit "Smooth Criminal" in recent years. I like Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson but wouldn't listen to the recent cover as it was released after 1989 and isn't an 80's song.

But Hall and Oates released their cover of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' in 1980, which is of course within my acceptable "song age range". Plus, I'm a fan of Hall and Oates myself.

Hope that clears that up.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

i_like_1981 wrote:What I meant was, I don't like a cover of an old song if the cover was released after 1989.

For example, we have had crappy metal band Alien Ant Farm covering Michael Jackson's hit "Smooth Criminal" in recent years. I like Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson but wouldn't listen to the recent cover as it was released after 1989 and isn't an 80's song.

But Hall and Oates released their cover of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' in 1980, which is of course within my acceptable "song age range". Plus, I'm a fan of Hall and Oates myself.

Hope that clears that up.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Ah ok. So 1981, what's more important to you the age of the song or the quality of it?
My opinion: Quality>Everything else.

God Knows(Not a religious song btw)-Piano and violin Cover by TAMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjZOL4C0oVo&feature=fvw

On the Beach of Dreams by Yasunori Mitsuda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4fzRK8 ... re=related
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Ah ok. So 1981, what's more important to you the age of the song or the quality of it?
My opinion: Quality>Everything else.
To me? The age. It definitely is the age. After all, it is the song age that determines whether I will listen to it.
Of course, by no means do I think everything from 1990 onwards is shit, but I just wouldn't listen to it. It would be inconsistent with my character and music tastes.
My opinion: Age>everything. :lol:
I don't deny that a fair few favoured songs of mine are cheesy and tacky, like Happy Birthday by Altered Images and Love Plus One by Haircut 100. But they are symbols of 1980s style. They're good for me!
Of course, music from the 70's and earlier is good as well.

Right now I'm listening to 10cc - I'm Not In Love (1975):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XD6CuaGZo
Rather appropriate for me, because... well, I'm not in love. :lol:
See? I do listen to stuff that's not from the 80's. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Nostaglia freak XD

Post by Indurrago »

I see must be for the nostalgia effect. You'd make a weird musician, 1981, you really would. Heck you'd be a walking contradiction, wouldn't listen to 90s music but then living in the new millennium with the desire to make songs. Would you even listen to your own music if you did lol, you'd be breaking your own rule. Actually that kind of instability might produce some unique and beautiful pieces. :lol: Anyway, people and their music change over time no what how much we fans might not like it. I'd agree with you except age /= quality it really doesn't and never will. Of course its the good songs we remember simply because they're good people continue to play them while the bad ones fade into obscurity. But those good ones are always just fraction compared to the multitude of bad ones. I know who you remind me of, that uncle from Napoleon Dynamite(don't watch it). I think he's the bigger '80s fan than you, you got some competition. :lol:
My opinion(on music): Age>everything.
You should put that in your sig.

This one is too new for you, 1981, but to anyone else who wants to relax give it a listen.
Friends - Yonekura Chihiro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cof82L-fNuQ

Revenge of Shinobi Music - Long Distance(1989)
My favorite song in one of my favorite old-school Sega games. Plays before any actual game-play and introduces the storyline of the game setting the mood of the storyline perfectly. There's one other decent song in the game but it brings out memories of too many cheap deaths. :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXW19i8au8
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote: You'd make a weird musician, 1981, you really would. Heck you'd be a walking contradiction, wouldn't listen to 90s music but then living in the new millennium with the desire to make songs.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I could never be a popular musician or even so much as a musician who records new material. Even though I'd try to recreate the 80's, I'd just end up contributing to the modern music industry which would definitely go against my normal mindset! So all I'll do is occasionally go on the keyboard, trying to practice and perfect a song I like. I've mastered Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen now. Queen's hits always sound good on the keyboard; a lot of their music has a rather grand tone to it.
Indurrago wrote:Actually that kind of instability might produce some unique and beautiful pieces.
A lot of great musicians and inventors have often been unstable or lacked the ability to have fulfilling personal lives. Powerful emotions feed the creative senses.
Indurrago wrote:I know who you remind me of, that uncle from Napoleon Dynamite(don't watch it).
Well, I'll have to watch it now to see my cinematic equivalent! I haven't seen that movie myself, but I've heard about it many a time. I take it from that sentence that you're not keen on it.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

i_like_1981 wrote: A lot of great musicians and inventors have often been unstable or lacked the ability to have fulfilling personal lives. Powerful emotions feed the creative senses.
Indurrago wrote:I know who you remind me of, that uncle from Napoleon Dynamite(don't watch it).
Well, I'll have to watch it now to see my cinematic equivalent! I haven't seen that movie myself, but I've heard about it many a time. I take it from that sentence that you're not keen on it.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
Ugh, well there's a big difference between you two, I'm surprised at myself that I forgot it. The title of the site and what it stands for would probably piss him off lolz.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Ugh, well there's a big difference between you two, I'm surprised at myself that I forgot it. The title of the site and what it stands for would probably piss him off lolz.
So, to put it simply, he's a sports fanatic. A bit of a cross between Samdaman and me. :D

I would have originally stated that it was good to see someone else respecting individuality and not surrendering to herd influence (even though he's a film character), but it turns out he just has to have given into the masses in some way. Whenever will I encounter another person who loves old music and hates the overwhelming influence of pro sports in today's society and economy?

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSY4Yi2y ... re=related
--------------------------------------------------
DeutscherEmperor | October 20, 2007

music by Clint Mansell

The complete Titel is:

Requiem for a dream Orchestral Version (by Clint Mansell)

To find this composition you have to add "Orchestral Version". "Requiem for a dream" itself is not enough.
--------------------------------------------------

This makes excellent background music if you want to make a video about wars, or the Inquisition, or a video on Astronomy showing all kinds of photos, or any kind of political videos, anything exciting or dramatic.

This would make excellent background music for some videos.

Also, this is the kind of music that would frighten jocks and sports fans and make then cry like babies and wet their pants.

This music is not for retards or for the infantile.

Anyway . . . . .

I would be very interested in any comments you all might have.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Electric Light Orchestra - Fire on High (1975)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ufx7SmZ5E
Magnificent song. Quite haunting as well, especially the first 90 seconds of it. See if you can find out what the backwards message at the start is saying. :D You never hear anything like this nowadays.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

"Berserk Warriors" by Mental As Anything.

I've always liked songs that combine acoustic and electric guitars.

This is a quirky little pop song that has stood the test of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpu12PXG4rA

Bjorn is just a viking
He is very a handy with a sword
He loves nothing better
Than to cut and slash right through a horde
Mutilation, jubilation
Friendly muscles, in a tussle

Anna's a girl viking
She is very handy with a spear
She won't wear silk stockings
Armour-plated garments are her sphere
In the fjords, you can hear them
Eerie horns blow, viking love show

Bjorn and Anna earn their leisure
They have each other for their pleasure

Bjorn is on his longship
He and Anna fought it out today
He says it is their Waterloo
Vikings shouldn't mix their work and play

All that blonde hair for them to share
So much plunder, Cut asunder
Now when Bjorn and Anna see each other
It's on the battlefield, not as lovers

Those vikings love to fight and play
Fighting berserk warriors hey hey!
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

dickfilthy wrote:"Berserk Warriors" by Mental As Anything.
Looking at the title of that song I presumed it was new or from the past decade at first. But after clicking on the link I was most pleasantly surprised. :D

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

I've been listening to Avenged Sevenfold's and Disturbed's new albums lately, but other than that I haven't heard anything good :\
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Agent 47

Post by Agent 47 »

i_like_1981 wrote:
dickfilthy wrote:"Berserk Warriors" by Mental As Anything.
Looking at the title of that song I presumed it was new or from the past decade at first. But after clicking on the link I was most pleasantly surprised. :D
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot to mention - it's from 1981!
(from p.17) i_like_1981 wrote: AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMUgmU_Hsjc
Excellent rock song from the year I was born. I'd sure like to see and hear those gun and cannon sound effects done live. It would be an experience to remember.
Well I managed to catch an AC/DC concert when they toured here earlier this year. They played well, and the crowd really went nuts for their old classics - TNT, Dirty Deeds, etc. And yes, For Those About To Rock was a magnificent finale, complete with booming cannons. But there were two things that did spoil it a bit in my opinion - the bell-ringing at the start of Hell's Bells got way out of sync with the music, which was annoying, and, Brian Johnson's voice! What's up with that?!! He seems to be able to scream in tune on the studio albums, but live, I swear he sounds like a constipated chainsaw. Bon Scott must be turning in his grave. But oh well, who am I to judge - they are rock gods, and I am not.
"We can’t find a healthy brain in an ex-football player."

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2873539.htm
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

Oh the Kamikaze Special Attack Unit
å??å?¼ç¥?風ç?¹å?¥æ?»æ??é??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWhPl6RPeHc

1944~1945

(Translation later)

ç?¡å¿µã®æ­¯ã?みã??ã?ã??ã?つつã??å¾?ちにå¾?ちã?ã??ã??決æ?¦ã?
ä»?ã?そæ?µã??ã??å± ã??ã??とã??奮ã?起ちã?ã??è?¥æ¡? ã??ã??ã??ã??

ã?のä¸?æ?¦ã«ã??å?ã?ã?ã??ばã??ç¥?å?½ã®è¡?くてã??ã?ã?なã??ã??
æ??æ»?ã?ã??のã??å?½å?ã?ã?ã??ç¥?風ç?¹å?¥æ?»æ??é?? ã??ã??ã??ã??

é?ã??ã??征くã??ã??ä»?ç??のã??å?¥ã??とç?¥ã??どã??å¾®ç¬?みてã??
ç??é?³é«?くã??å?ºå?°ã??ã?ã??ã??ã?ã?ç¥?鷲のè??å¼¾è¡? ã??ã??ã??

大義のè¡?æ½®ã??é?²æ??ã?ã¦ã??å¿?æ­»å¿?中ã??ä½?å½?ã?ã??ã??ã??
æ?µè?¦ãªã©ã¦ã??é??ã?べきã??è¦?ã??ã??不æ»?の大æ?¦æ??ã??ã??ã??

å?±æ­?はé«?くã??è½?ã?どã??ä»?はã?ã?ã??ぬã??ä¸?夫ã??ã??ã??ã??
å?å°?の海にã??æ²?みつつã??なã?ã??ç??å?½ã®è­·ã??ç¥?ã??ã??ã??

ç?±æ¶?伝ã?ã??é¡?ã?ã?てã??å?²ã??ã?のぶã??å?½ã®æ°?ã??ã??ã??ã??
æ°¸ä¹?にå¿?ã??ã?ã??その名ã?そã??ç¥?風ç?¹å?¥æ?»æ??é??ã??ã??
ç¥?風ç?¹å?¥æ?»æ??é??