The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Re: The What Song Are You Listening To Thread

Post by Fat Man »

i_like_1981 wrote:Ah, so you were born in late 1988. Well, I wouldn't expect you to remember the 80's, then. Although you were around for the end of them. I myself was born in mid-1981 so I do actually have some memories of the time. But they're quite few in number. Nonetheless, I still love the music from then and from before my time. I suppose I just don't have time for today's crap! (I'm sure you can agree with me on this - the mainstream stuff in the charts today is shockingly SHIT.)

So, at the moment I'm listening to Judas Priest - Living After Midnight (1980):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hs7zIyFRhg
A bit ironic I should like this one, as the lyrics are the complete opposite to my lifestyle. Nonetheless, great early 80's rock. I own the British Steel album, released 14 months before I was born.

Best regards,
i_like_1981
I also like songs from the 1980s

Here's one of my favorites.

Careless Whispers - George Michael
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

And here are the lyrics to the song.

Careless Whispers
By George Michael

I Feel So Unsure
As I take your hand
And lead you to the dance floor
As the music dies
Something in your eyes
Calls to mind a silver screen
And all its sad goodbyes

[Chorus]

I'm never gonna dance again
Guilty feet have got no rhythm
Though it's easy to pretend
I know you're not a fool
I should have known better than to cheat a friend
And waste a chance that I've been given
So I'm never gonna dance again
The way I danced with you

Time can never mend
The careless whisper of a good friend
To the heart and mind
Ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you'll find

[Chorus]

I know you're not a fool

Tonight the music seems so loud
I wish that we could lose this crowd
Maybe it's better this way
We'd hurt each other with the things we want to say
We could have been so good together
We could have lived this dance forever
But now who's gonna dance with me
Please stay

[Chorus]

I know you're not a fool

Now that you've gone
Now that you've gone
Now that you've gone
Was what I did so wrong
So wrong that you had to leave me alone

I love the saxophone in this music. Every time I here the saxophone playing it makes me cry.

This is what I call Midnight Music.

That's because this is the kind of music I like to listen to, late at night sitting in my room with the lights down low and smoking my pipe just sitting there and thinking while the music plays.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Yep, the 80's were sure a memorable decade. One of a kind. The hairstyles, fashions and celebrity icons - you just don't see such utter bizarreness nowadays. I wish I could remember the 80's better; I was too young back then to truly get involved with them. Even though I was around for nearly all of them I still feel like I missed out!

The 80's were the peak of many great artists' careers, like Michael Jackson and Spandau Ballet. A lot of people think Queen's material from the 80's is too cheesy and pop-based and not as good as their original 70's rock stuff but I can't help but disagree. I love songs like Under Pressure, Radio Gaga and A Kind of Magic.

Yep, there was some shit back then. Even I admit to that. I hate a fair bit of 80's stuff too. Go Wild in the Country by Bow Wow Wow is a crap song. Bros are crap, Bananarama were also crap and I don't like I Should Be So Lucky by Kylie Minogue either. I never had her down as an 80's artist and I never will. Haysi Fantayzee was also crap.

But there is no denying that the 80's had character. They were quite unlike any other decade and really stood out. GREAT!

As such, I'm not listening to anything at the moment. Well, at least I took the time to add a mini-essay to the thread.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Earl

Post by Earl »

We like mini-essays. :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Pink Floyd - Time (1973):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z67FsTNpexg

Best regards,
i_like_1981

James

Post by James »

i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Foreigner - Juke Box Hero (1981):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAe77E3gxY
The album this was released on was simply called "4". Interesting...

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Stay Now-East 17
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw
The video is... quite interesting in how it looks. Great 80's hit.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

JukeBox Hero definitely had that '80s feel, great song. Doesn't try to be over-the-top but paces itself to tell a story. Thanks for sharing 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPNnZ3DSDdk&fmt=18

Silent Moon by Jia Peng Fang

Beautiful piece that celebrates the whole cycle of human life itself not just one emotion or a piece of it. I recommend this song in particular to everyone and anyone.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Hey 1981, I found your perfect theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62diHTKQ ... re=related

Bob Seger - Old time Rock n Roll with lyrics
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Hey 1981, I found your perfect theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62diHTKQ ... re=related

Bob Seger - Old time Rock n Roll with lyrics
Thanks for that link, Indurrago! What a song. I'm also quite keen on a song called "Modern Times Rock N' Roll" by Queen - well, you may think the "Modern Times" bit would put me off instantly but keep in mind it's from their debut album, released in 1973. There was a time when all that stuff was modern! There was a time when modern was decent!

Old Time Rock N' Roll is a classic. I shall make sure to download that one.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Queen lol, what a great band. "Modern Times Rock N' Roll" by Queen, well no, I would first look at the the year it was released lol, check* its before 1990. You should put be some of the lyrics of Old time Rock n Roll into your sig they fit so well with you, its amazing. Though the Rock and Roll he's referring seems to be, even decades before the 80s, like Elvis and earlier. :D I agree with the song main message though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsJcg-g ... re=related

Queen - "Another One Bites the Dust" with lyrics (1980)

I have to ask though, do you ONLY listen to American music? Cuz I have to say you're really missing out. Music from other countries have their own charm, especially traditional ones.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Well, Indurrago, I do like listening to some foreign music. As you may have deduced, I have an interest in old German music. Here is a song I like from German band Die Arzte - it's called Zu spat (too late) and it comes from 1984. It's a man's angry rant against his bitch of a girlfriend who has dumped him for a different, slightly cooler man. Hearing and understanding this song makes me rather glad I don't bother with dating - it would only end in tragedy for me!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOj_Y5_jH1o

I also like Autobahn by Kraftwerk which came out in 1974. The whole version of it is 22 and a half minutes long.

There is a French song called Antisocial by a band called Trust which I like. That was released in May 1980. Can't understand a word of it but I still find it an enjoyable listen with that hard rock feel.

So I like quite a bit of foreign music. I don't mind where it's from, who did it - as long as it's from 1989 or earlier, it's good in my book.

As for my signature, the line "Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue" comes from the start of a song called Gangsters by The Specials which became their first hit in July 1979. Nothing significant about that line to me, I just quite like it. I don't plan on making any amendments to my signature anytime soon but thanks for the suggestion.

It is good to see someone else with an interest in old music. Old music is what keeps my faith up in the world, and to have someone else to talk about it with... gives me more of a purpose! :D

And yes, I like Another One Bites The Dust. That's a fun Queen song but it's not my favourite. I like nearly all of the songs by Queen, and I'm one of the few people who actually favours their stuff that wasn't released as singles over the stuff that was. Their older heavier rock sound settled well with me; I like their 80's pop-based sound too but they did start out as a hard rock band. It's interesting to see how their sound changes between albums - A Night At The Opera has a grand, classical feel to it whereas The Game and Hot Space feel a lot more light-hearted and pop-like. Their debut album is full of heavy guitars and hard rock; the debut is probably my favourite. But it was the least successful one of their albums upon its release in July 1973; their first ever single Keep Yourself Alive didn't chart in either the UK or US. I like it a lot, though. Like I say, Queen were one of those bands that gave a real kick to music.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Ah you give me more credit than I deserve. Actually I had no clue besides you're interest in the German language cuz well you speak abit of it, oh yeah and that little talk about foreign languages while back. Interestingly what did happen to Queen? Now back to foreign music. Actually there's some traditional instruments from Asian countries that are just now being widely seen in performances now which is truly is a shame that few have heard the actual music that can be produced. Then there are very old traditional songs but being played with modern instruments. Modern drum but with the heart of the classic(at least they try).

Silent Moon is pretty much traditional except for the Piano in the background I think. The main instrument is an Etru a traditional Chinese instrumental rarely seen outside of china which I just learned about today actually lol.

Now to the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3NZMb3 ... ted&fmt=18

Voyage, Voyage by Gregorian

The feel of the song is very Middle-Age-ish. Almost like jumping back in time.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Indurrago wrote:Interestingly what did happen to Queen?
Their lead singer, Freddie Mercury, died back in November 1991. I can actually remember that happening; but back then I wasn't really into Queen, still being at primary school and not having much of a developed music taste. But I was aware of how important he was in the world of music; any rock icon dying is something that sticks in the mind. The fuss back then over Mercury's death, though, wasn't as big as all the fuss over Michael Jackson's death last year. After that Queen just weren't quite the same. I think they released one final album as Queen but this included stuff recorded in the 80's which Freddie had done. They collaborated with Paul Rodgers for a bit (which I didn't care much about), and I don't think that lasted long. Basically, I think we can safely say Queen are the past now. They made great music, became a huge name in that business and are well-remembered today, but now they've had to leave the stage.

Best regards,
i_like_1981