Last thing you Watched/Read.

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
The Imperialist

Re: Last thing you Watched/Read.

Post by The Imperialist »

Harry Brown (starring Michael Caine)

It was awesome. A lot of delinquents being given what they deserve. (Oh how I wish this happens properly on a national scale)
Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

I'm watching Reds and Pirates right now. The last thing I read was "The Five People You Meet In Heaven," by Mitch Albom. It was for my final exam in English last semester.

I got a 94. Woo
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

The last thing I watched - the Australian TV excerpt shown in dickfilthy's topic "Scientific Evidence - Football Causes Brain Damage"; the thread can be found in the Football/Soccer Sucks section.

A relatively new member to the board, Donald, mentioned that topic in one of his posts today so I went there again and actually watched the video this time.

Worthwhile stuff. Though all the things said can be read and discovered in the transcript posted along with the link, it adds an extra dimension to the facts by watching the people say it for themselves as well as the slow-motion clips of heads bashing together. I bet the fans who enjoy watching the games never think about how what seems to them to be a reasonably weak blow to the head can actually be serious for a player's mental health. The true strength of the blows can only be shown by getting close up and slowed down.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Last night I was watching The Terminator. Yes, the first one where Arnold Schwarzenegger was the bad guy. Odd that he's actually been the good guy, the protector, in two of them. The Terminator character has always had a reputation of being evil and fearsome.

I especially like the scene in the nightclub when all the chaos begins. Here's a YouTube link to that scene for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dz2sbv_o0

It was 1984 when this came out; in Britain we had to wait until early 1985 before we got it. I would have been nowhere near old enough to see it in the cinema or even remember it being released originally. Thank God for videos and DVD's. If it weren't for them, we'd all miss out on so much.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Jersey Shore

That show's so addictive.
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

More Extreme Marksmen on the history channel. My favorite shots were by the longbow user.
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
The Imperialist

Post by The Imperialist »

I read through the whole of the Hannibal Lecter series (including Rising), and then marathoned the whole of the movies (excluding the first one which was not as true to the book) There were a few descrepancies with the original though... Hollywood, hollywood. WHy thou have to ruin all canonity?
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Right now I'm watching The History Channel

Jefferson

A celebration of Thomas Jefferson's life honors one of the most-researched, most-referenced of America's founding fathers.

It's a 2 hour program from 10:00 PM to 12:00 Midnight.

Here in Texas, our State Board of Education (Indoctrination) has selected textbooks that will be uses for the next 10 years, and thanks to that right-wing Fundamentalist Christard Don McLeroy, Thomas Jefferson is going to be removed from the new history texts.

So, for all high school students in Texas, if they want to learn about Thomas Jefferson, or anything else in history, they should watch the History Channel on Cable TV.

And if they want to learn anything about science I suggest The History Channel or the National Geographic Channel or the Discovery Channel when they have programs on Astronomy, and if the want to learn about Evolution, there are plenty of good YouTube Channels.

Because they're not going to get it in Texas high schools.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Do concerts count? I just got back from an amazing concert! (:
"I hold that the parentheses are by far the most important parts of a non-business letter." - D. H. Lawrence
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Post by Fat Man »

Safety wrote:Do concerts count? I just got back from an amazing concert! (:
Yes, everything counts.

Rock concerts, classical music concerts, movies at the theater or on TV, whatever was the last thing you watched or read.

It all counts.
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I just watched the DVD of Nirvana's Unplugged in New York performance from 1993, which was one of Nirvana's last recorded performances before Kurt Cobain's death in 1994.

Like most of the members of this site who actually support the view of the page, Kurt Cobain wasn't interested in sports. I heard that when he was in high school, his father made him join the wrestling team, however he intentionally got pinned because he didn't want to do the sport. His father also made him join the baseball team, but he intentionally would get three strikes so he wouldn't have to play. When he was in high school, he was bullied because he made friends with a homosexual student, as they assumed that he was gay just because he had a homosexual friend. This was of course untrue. When Cobain was just a small child, he bullied another boy at his school, but this was after his parents divorced and he faced a lot of problems and hardships, and his mother got in a relationship with an abusive man, Cobain even witnessed him break her arm. This of course doesn't excuse anyone from bullying, however he was a child who didn't know what he was doing and was going through hardships, he even had to have therapy when he was just a child because of it all. By the way, my source for this is a Wikipedia article I read long ago, but I remember most of it clearly, and I remember checking some references on the article to see if the information was credible. So there's one out of countless notable figures who wasn't interested in sports.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Safety wrote:Do concerts count? I just got back from an amazing concert! (:
[sarcasm]Lady Gaga was it? My God, how I wish I was there.[/sarcasm]

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Safety
Sportsman

Post by Safety »

Why the sarcasm? It was the Rockstar Uproar Festival in Columbus. Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold were the headlining bands, and they were amazingg! My friend from Oregon saw Lady Gaga in concert not too long ago. That would be amazing...
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Safety wrote:Why the sarcasm? It was the Rockstar Uproar Festival in Columbus. Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold were the headlining bands, and they were amazingg! My friend from Oregon saw Lady Gaga in concert not too long ago. That would be amazing...
I guess all the insanely popular and overhyped artists of today like Lady Gaga are definitely not my cup of tea. She just seems like an attention seeker to me.

But I sure do like a bit of rock. Rock's another one of those defining genres of the 70's and 80's. Queen, Foreigner, Dire Straits, Rainbow, and of course, AC/DC. I'm always up for a bit of classic rock. But I doubt, by the name of that festival, that anybody old was playing. Most young people would put them down as "dinosaur bands" nowadays.

I've recently heard that there was an 80's music festival happening down near London at a place called Henley-on-Thames. They had many top artists of the decade playing there throughout last weekend - Heaven 17, Boy George, The Beat, Tony Hadley and ABC. Really wish I'd been at that one. Well, I'm going to keep an eye on this festival's website and when the chance comes up, I'll make sure to buy tickets for next year's festival. Could there have been a more ideal festival for me to go to?

In the meantime, I'll have to look through the YouTube videos for this year and last year's events. The festival is called "Rewind". Rewinding back to the days when the charts were actually decent and laden with classics! Days when people like Avril Lavigne and Lady Gaga didn't even exist. Days which, sadly, I can't remember all too well. Thank God that there are concert organisers around today that are still willing to accept the task of bringing the classics back on stage for people to hear live as they would have been done over 20 years ago.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

i_like_1981 wrote:She just seems like an attention seeker to me.
Here's how I would have said that sentence:

She is an attention seeker.

And I think attention seeker is too kind of a phrase, she'd kill her mother if she wasn't getting enough attention and it got her some.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama