Last thing you Watched/Read.

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
recovering_fan

Re: Last thing you Watched/Read.

Post by recovering_fan »

Silence wrote:The last book I remember reading is Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer.
I only remember reading until around page 200-300. I no longer have the patience to read through the rest.
I wish I had read more books by women growing up. My favourite was Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I've always been the taciturn, sulking type, so it was nice to be able to identify with someone like Darcy. Not only have I read that novel three times, but I've seen a couple film versions--including a Bollywood version.

--RF
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

i_like_1981 wrote:This is England '86. It finished last night. Quite possibly the best, most powerful show I've seen all year. It's, shall we say, the bad side of the 80's, but told with such brutal realism and raw emotion....
Hopefully it will come out on Netflix some time in 2016. :) It would sure be nice if Netflix saw themselves as having a service to perform and offered more quality thought-provoking stuff like that, rather trying to make a profit on everything. They offered a Russian series that I liked called The Idiot (2003), but when I ordered it, I found out that the second of four discs had become unavailable. What good is that, eh? I'm supposed to watch Discs 1,3 and 4? Finally, I just ordered the whole series from this online Russian book store for $30.

But This is England '86 sounds good. I toured England with my family in 1988 (I was eight), and we saw a bunch of poorly looking street ruffians here and there. My father is actually from Birmingham, but I think he made the right move in leaving--no offence. We would go back to visit Europe every other year when I was young.

Cheers,
RF
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

I'm reading Night by Elie Wiesel. It's a book written by a Jew who was put in a concentration camp when he was a teenager and luckily managed to survive until Allied forces liberated the camp. It's definitely a great read, and I'd recommend it to anyone, even though I haven't even finished reading it (I only began reading it yesterday), although it is extremely depressing. Here's a passage that's only on the fourth page of the book:
"He told his story and that of his companions. The train full of deportees had crossed the Hungarian frontier and on Polish territory had been taken in charge by the Gestapo. There it had stopped. The Jews had to get out and climb into lorries. The lorries drove toward a forest. The Jews were made to get out. They were made to dig huge graves. And when they had finished their work, the Gestapo began theirs. Without passion, without haste, they slaughtered their prisoners. Each one had to go up to the hole and present his neck. Babies were thrown into the air and the machine gunners used them as targets. This was in the forest of Calicia, near Kolomaye."
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

HugeFanOfBadReligion wrote:I'm reading Night by Elie Wiesel. It's a book written by a Jew who was put in a concentration camp when he was a teenager and luckily managed to survive until Allied forces liberated the camp. It's definitely a great read, and I'd recommend it to anyone, even though I haven't even finished reading it (I only began reading it yesterday), although it is extremely depressing. Here's a passage that's only on the fourth page of the book:
"He told his story and that of his companions. The train full of deportees had crossed the Hungarian frontier and on Polish territory had been taken in charge by the Gestapo. There it had stopped. The Jews had to get out and climb into lorries. The lorries drove toward a forest. The Jews were made to get out. They were made to dig huge graves. And when they had finished their work, the Gestapo began theirs. Without passion, without haste, they slaughtered their prisoners. Each one had to go up to the hole and present his neck. Babies were thrown into the air and the machine gunners used them as targets. This was in the forest of Calicia, near Kolomaye."
This summer I watched Sophie's Choice, which was about the same topic. During that movie I met the two creepiest characters (both Nazis) I have ever come across in film. They did not appear to have souls.

--RF
Silence

Post by Silence »

Right now, I'm currently re-reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Possibly one of my favorite novels to read from the 19th century.

The last thing I remember reading in English class though, was an excerpt from one of Amy Tan's novels, called Rules Of The Game. It was pretty fun reading it, but nothing else in the story really affected me. However, it was only a small excerpt, so who am I to judge?

An additional note, Rules Of The Game is the name of the excerpt itself. The name of the full-length novel is The Joy Luck Club.

(Yes, I am back. Well, just temporarily back. Announcing my departure from this site too early was a mistake on my part. My semester isn't exactly over, currently taking finals, and my two most important ones are finally out of the way. Plus, I'll have a three week break before my second semester officialy starts.)
Every ending is a new beginning.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

Silence wrote:Right now, I'm currently re-reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen...
Hello Silence, :wink:

Were you aware that the Dashwoods are among the many girls who have recently taken up the fine sport of boxing?
They only spar with other girls, of course, but the sport has made them more assertive in affairs both social and romantic, as well.
[b][color=#FFBFFF]najib_daho [/color][/b] wrote:...boxing - is a fantastic sport for building self confidence, self esteem and a practical way to protect yourself in todays world. That is the reason why so many young women take up boxing [hein, quoi?!]- add to the fact that boxing is one of the best ways to lose weight, become fit and make friends...
Here's the latest report from YouTube on the scandalous trend that's sweeping English society's upper crust:
(...have you seen Fight Club, with Brad Pitt and Ed Norton?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2PM0om2El8

Later,
recovering_fan
Silence

Post by Silence »

recovering_fan wrote:
Silence wrote:Right now, I'm currently re-reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen...
Hello Silence, :wink:

Were you aware that the Dashwoods are among the many girls who have recently taken up the fine sport of boxing?
They only spar with other girls, of course, but the sport has made them more assertive in affairs both social and romantic, as well.
Interesting... I am very much hoping that this especially doesn't affect both Elinor and Marianne. But if it does, then I am extending my sympathies to Mr. Edward Ferrars, Colonel Brandon, and perhaps even Willoughby. Oh the poor Dashwoods, I wonder if this will get them anywhere other than making them more assertive during social and romantic discourses?
recovering_fan wrote:(...have you seen Fight Club, with Brad Pitt and Ed Norton?)
Hmm, I have heard of Fight Club, yes. However, I haven't watched it.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Peep Show. I love the programmes by Mitchell and Webb.
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I recently watched Peter Jackson's District 9, and I highly recommend it. The thrill it gave me more than makes up for the disappointment of Lord of the Rings, which had some great CGI but over-simplified too many of Tolkien's characters. District 9 has everything: a love story, a social commentary on how refugees are treated, great space-age gun fights, and explosive hilarity. It was written and set in South Africa, so it should give you all a taste of the rugged (and occasionally somewhat callous) attitude towards life those people have.
i_like_1981

Post by i_like_1981 »

Last night I was watching the film "Dirty Harry". Absolutely excellent film - can't believe it's 10 years older than I am. It really doesn't seem to have dated too badly. Just look at Clint Eastwood then compared to his appearance in Gran Torino - there's 40 years of change for you. Strangely enough, though, I don't actually recall him saying the words "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" verbatim. He said near enough the same thing, but not quite exactly how most people think he did. Anyway, it's a very good film, and I'm glad I went and bought it.

Best regards,
i_like_1981

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

recovering_fan wrote:I recently watched Peter Jackson's District 9, and I highly recommend it. The thrill it gave me more than makes up for the disappointment of Lord of the Rings, which had some great CGI but over-simplified too many of Tolkien's characters. District 9 has everything: a love story, a social commentary on how refugees are treated, great space-age gun fights, and explosive hilarity. It was written and set in South Africa, so it should give you all a taste of the rugged (and occasionally somewhat callous) attitude towards life those people have.
I watched District 9 a while ago, and I thought it was brilliant. The fact that you've brought it up makes me want to watch it again now.
i_like_1981 wrote:Last night I was watching the film "Dirty Harry". Absolutely excellent film - can't believe it's 10 years older than I am. It really doesn't seem to have dated too badly. Just look at Clint Eastwood then compared to his appearance in Gran Torino - there's 40 years of change for you. Strangely enough, though, I don't actually recall him saying the words "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" verbatim. He said near enough the same thing, but not quite exactly how most people think he did. Anyway, it's a very good film, and I'm glad I went and bought it.
Another one of my favourites. Although I think the popular "Are you feeling lucky, punk?" is just a misquotation of the scene where says something similar to the robber he stopped.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
recovering_fan

Post by recovering_fan »

I recently (about a month ago) watched a movie called The Fighter, starring Mark Wahlberg. The movie was about a boxer, but I'm mentioning it anyway, even though this is an anti-sports site, because it wasn't really about boxing. It is about someone with ridiculous talent whose family are holding him back, because even though they live in a slum they are too proud to reason with, but insist on follow the same self-destructive behavioural patterns they have always followed. He'll always be a weak, pathetic little boy to them.

It is a great commentary on why so many poverty-stricken, directionless, and confused people fail in America. When everyone around you wants you to fail and die, your level of success in life will reflect that.

Finally, he meets a girl who realises his potential and understands what is holding him back. She pulls him away from the ghouls and harpies, who are picking the meat off his soul and his bones.
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

The last thing I saw in the cinema was the The Amazing Spider-Man. I thought it was good.

The book I am currently reading is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
Silence

Post by Silence »

The last books I've recently finished is a re-read of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. The latter book is a definite eye-popper, and for me, one of my favorite school compulsory books I've read thus far.