Nerds And Geeks Actually Contribute To Sports!

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fat Man
The Fat Man Judgeth
Location: El Paso, Texas, USA, 3rd Planet, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Somewhere in The Cosmos!

Nerds And Geeks Actually Contribute To Sports!

Post by Fat Man »

Earlier this evening I saw a program on The National Geographic Channel.

Man-Made : "Crash Lab" In high-tech crash labs, scientists use stunt drivers and crash-test dummies to test vehicle impact from all angles.

Toward the end of the program, they were showing how they were designing and testing football helmets and coming up with even better and safer helmets.

As we all know, football is a very dangerous sport. Every year football played get injured and the worse injuries are head injuries which can sometimes be fatal.

But thanks to the techno-geeks with their computers designing better football helmets and crash testing them in the lab, the monkey-boys have much better helmets.

So, the next time you monkey-boys put on a football helmet that is much better and safer than any you have used before . . . . .

THANK A TECHNO GEEK!!!
ImageI'm fat and sassy! I love to sing & dance & stomp my feet & really rock your world!

All I want to hear from an ex-jock is "Will that be paper or plastic?" After that he can shut the fuck up!
Heah comes da judge! Heah comes da judge! Order in da court 'cuz heah comes da judge!

Earl

Re: Nerds And Geeks Actually Contribute To Sports!

Post by Earl »

Hey, I really like this post, Fat Man. You make an excellent point! :D
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Go, Montana State Bobcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRq4_uxM ... re=related
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Unfortunately, the only 'thanks' we'd probably ever get from a meatlump is 'Yeah, you'de better do your job for me, nerd.'

It is a valid and poignant point to bring up, however. Kudos.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

That was a pretty ignorant post Millhouse, and I am willing to bet you're wrong.
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Polite24 wrote:That was a pretty ignorant post Millhouse, and I am willing to bet you're wrong.

Indeed. Whatever you say, then.

Somehow I am doubting your typical off the street touch football, street hockey moron, etc., would appreciate the technical design of the gear they wear and use. In fact, I'm willing to bet if the nerd that designed it came up to them on the street and tried to tell them a few 'fun facts' about what they're wearing, that nerd would be at high risk for getting his ass kicked. And in relation to your other retarded post, THAT is a much more admirable risk of serious injury to me than a meatlump breaking his leg to earn a touchdown.

Have a nice day.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Your whole scenario is what if

Not everyone is as mean and as much of an asshole as you think....
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Polite24 wrote:Your whole scenario is what if

Not everyone is as mean and as much of an asshole as you think....
I could make a 99 percent comment here, but you have stopped doing those, so I will refrain from mocking you again.

My scenario is based on experience. Your scenarios are based on self initiated delusion and what you want to believe sports should be all about...good sportsmanship, decent people, comraderie, not crapping on others, etc. And hey, I'm all for it. But it ain't reality, 'bub.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Experience meaning what? Athletes acting like jerks on the field/court or off it?
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

Polite24 wrote:Experience meaning what? Athletes acting like jerks on the field/court or off it?
Both, sunshine. Even you should have been able to figure that out.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

Being jerks on the court is just apart of the competitiveness.

Off the court, I don't know. Just like anything else you have people who aren't jerks and people who are.
resolvent

Post by resolvent »

I LOVE the irony of someone giving themselves the handle "Polite" and then justifying sports jerkiness as "just competitiveness". Even if it's just on the field.
Polite24
Sports Bore

Post by Polite24 »

some of you guys need to grow thicker skin
Earl

Post by Earl »

Just a suggestion, Millhouse and Polite24. Return to the issue of athletes being jerks off the playing field. Give specific examples. I know this sounds stupid, but be willing to listen to the other guy with an open mind. Ask each other questions, answer them frankly and honestly, and have an exchange that actually generates more light than heat. Don't miss the opportunity to actually learn something, instead of just trying to win a debate. I don't mean to be pompous. I just don't know what else to say.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." -- Oscar Wilde

Katrin
Location: Urgh! Why do you want to know where I live! Don't make me get the gun out!

Post by Katrin »

Nerds and geeks may contribute to sports in some ways but that does not mean they like it. They're just hired to improve technologies for the equipment, attracted by the money and thought of spending whole days drawing diagrams and having their talents in the field of development actually appreciated by others for once.
Best guestbook comment ever!:

I THINK ALL SPORTS ARE TOTAL RUBBISH. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM TV. THEN ALL PEOPLE WHO TAKE PART IN THE SPORTS SHOULD BE PUT AGAINST A WALL AND SHOT AND KILLED.

- Glenn
Saturday, July 04, 2009
Earl

Post by Earl »

Polite24 wrote:some of you guys need to grow thicker skin
With all due respect to Polite24, it can just as easily be said that Captain America, SpeedofLeicht, mikejones, samdaman, and Harold need to grow thicker skin.