Russia, China veto UN Syria resolution

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... syria.html
Russia and China have vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling for Syrian president Bashar Assad to step down.

The veto comes in the wake of increasing international pressure to stop Assad's regime, which has implemented a bloody crackdown since last March.

Russiaâ??s veto was expected since it has military connections to the Assad regime, said CBC reporter David Common in New York.

â??China comes at it from a different reason,â? said Common at the UN on Saturday. "Perhaps it is going in there to try to cushion some of the blow for Russia.â?

Common said that without China's support, Russia would have had to stand alone â?? especially against allies of the Arab League, the 22-nation organization that had put forth the resolution.

The world body's failure to pass the resolution comes after U.S. President Barack Obama condemned the latest atrocrities in Syria on Saturday and told its citizens: "we are with you, and the Assad regime must come to an end."

Opposition groups and activists say more than 200 people were killed by artillery and mortars fired by Syrian forces in the city of Homs overnight.

In his statement, Obama spoke out against the "relentless brutality" of Assad's government and again urged the Security Council to stop the killings.

"The international community must work to protect the Syrian people from this abhorrent brutality," he said.

Activists say the number killed in shelling that began late Friday ranged from 217 to 260, making it the deadliest attack in the central city since the uprising against President Bashar Assad's regime began 11 months ago.

Some activists said the violence was triggered by a wave of army defections in Homs. There have been reports that army defectors have set up checkpoints in the area.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and the Local Co-ordination Committees said more than half of the killings from shelling that began late Friday were reported in the Khaldiyeh neighbourhood.

The opposition Syrian National Council described it as "one of the most horrific massacres since the beginning of the uprising in Syria."

The reports could not be independently confirmed and the government has accused the opposition groups of engaging in a propaganda campaign.

Moscow threatened veto

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov had been quoted, just prior to the vote on Saturday, as saying that concensus was still possible. In comments made to local media on Saturday, he urged the West to accommodate Russian concerns to reach a compromise.

Lavrov already warned Washington that any attempt to put a draft resolution on Syria to vote at the United Nations would lead to "scandal," a blunt warning that Moscow is prepared to use its veto power.

Lavrov said Moscow had submitted its amendments to the Western-backed draft.

Lavrov said Moscow still sees two problems of "crucial importance" with the draft UN resolution. He said it makes too few demands of armed groups opposing the Assad regime. He also said Moscow remains concerned about whether it prejudges the outcome of a national dialogue among political forces in Syria.

Russia and China, which wield veto power at the Security Council, have blocked previous Western attempts to impose sanctions on the Syrian regime over its crackdown on protests.

Ahead of the UN meeting, France's foreign minister called the massacre of Homs "a crime against humanity, for which its perpetrators will be held accountable."

"The international community must recognize and support the right of the Syrian people to freedom, security and to choose its political future," Alain Juppé said in a statement Saturday.

"Those that would impede the adoption of such a resolution would take a heavy responsibility before history."

British Foreign Secretary William Hague also called upon the Security Council to â??do its utmost to end the bloodshed in Syria.â?

The UN has said that more than 5,400 people have been killed in violence since March. Hundreds more have been killed since that tally was announced, and activists say 200 died in the city of Homs on Saturday.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
HugeFanOfBadReligion

Re: Russia, China veto UN Syria resolution

Post by HugeFanOfBadReligion »

It completely outrages me that something that concerns the ongoing massacre of thousands of civilians can just be ignored simply because two of the UN Security Council veto against it. Before I continue, I will first say that I don't believe that the UN resolution would have changed anything, as it would have simply denounced Al-Assad and call for him to step down, which would have been rejected by his government. However, it still is a perfect example of how pathetic the concept of permanent members of the UNSC is. The permanent members use their veto power for their own national interests as well as the interests of their allies, which derails international progress. The United States has constantly vetoed anything critical of Israel, and now China and Russia have vetoed a resolution that has the purpose of protecting human rights in Syria.

Furthermore, the choice of permanent members of the Security Council couldn't be much worse. First of all, is it just a coincidence that each of the five permanent members of the UNSC also make up the five nuclear weapon states. Permanent membership is simply a matter of how much international power a nation has. On top of that, the United States has many biases on the international level which have hindered, for example, dialogue between the Palestinian Territories and Israel. China and Russia are even worse choices for permanent membership, as both of them are among the most corrupt and least democratic nations in the world, and have violated human rights on many occasions. That makes them a terrible choice for leadership of an organization that is meant to protect human rights. Needless to say, the system of the United Nations Security Council frustrates me, especially in this scenario. Thousands of civilians have been killed in the Syrian uprising by the Syrian government, and probably nothing will be done about it because Russia is allies with Syria.
"Mensa membership conceding, tell my why and how are all the stupid people breeding?" - The Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX

"Basis of change: educate - derived from discussion, not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette" - Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette - Propagandhi

"We need to teach our kids that it's not just the winner of the Superbowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair" - Barack Obama
recovering_fan

Re: Russia, China veto UN Syria resolution

Post by recovering_fan »

Very true, HugeFan.

As a Canadian, you have a great responsibility to hold the international community accountable for moral lapses. If I had read a post by an American simply scolding Russia, China and Syria, I would have written it off as so much predictable nationalism, but since you (1) are Canadian, and (2) made sure to mention how America also gives other countries like Israel a pass when that serves its purpose, your comments carry more weight.

-RF
StivenT1986

Russia China veto UN Syria resolution

Post by StivenT1986 »

everyone except those two was in favour. other countries are quite upset. id say, since it was a given the Russians were going to veto, China should have abstained. but i have a feeling Russia was expecting Chinas backing in this.